Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 am

Ah, so it's like being in certain regions of Germany then. One delivery truck driver that comes almost every day comes from Hesse and has a really thick accent. I often don't understand him if he's talking fast or there's some noise. I always wonder just how fucked some dude that can only understand basic bitch school German would feel in those regions.
It's basically like having only school English and going to Cockney.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 am

The memes are true. You can't learn Japanese.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:47 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 am
The memes are true. You can't learn Japanese.
Not unless you spend years in language school + a decade or so of living there, I would think.
Check out the rankings here:
https://www.atlasandboots.com/foreign-s ... ifficulty/

But I honestly think Chinese is even harder than Japanese. I simply cannot understand the "tone" system that the Chinese languages have.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 am

I'd say Japanese is fairly easy to pronounce cause basically every syllable ends in a vowel and it flows easy. Chinese has a crapload of weird j-, sh- and ch-sounds with very nuanced but important differences, and whatever the Chinese version of Romaji is called is a lot less helpful. I mean, how's a normie supposed to know that an "X" is one of those sh-sounds?
Also the Chinese government had to enforce one dialect to be the main one, because those dialects can go so out of hand that a bloke from a different region of China can't understand anything.
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm
Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:26 pm
I've always hated it, no matter who's doing it.
Everyone hates it. 4Kids were probably the most hated localisers of all time. But it's not like Hollywood where they're producing kahntent, they're merely localising other people's kahntent which means there's a limit to how much they can gatekeep. If fans don't like how a particular company is translating a particular work, they can buy the original Japanese versions and the localiser doesn't get anything. Or else there are scanlations or fansubs or any number of ways a fan can consume the original kahntent without having to go through the English language licensor. As a result, licensors might not realise this but they are completely irrelevant.
Plus since it has become a lot more Current Year after the death of 4Kids, angry mangu fans could rightfully complain about cultural appropriation and evil white pigs destroying the artist's original vision.

Manga are a lot bigger than capeshit (at least you actually see that stuff in a lot more different stores), but I doubt any Manga translation company is big enough to survive a lost of trust in their craft.

If this SJW blokes have any sort of keikaku skills, they will probably restrain themselves with the translations until they have amassed enough money to blow everything on their own original Manga. Doesn't Crunchyroll do that in video form?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 am

"Original English Manga" hasn't been a think since Tokyopop was knocking about. Well, I think Yen Press *might* still be producing some, usually adaptations of their YA catalogue (an exception being their translation of the Darren Shan series, which is an actual manga.) I've read about "Original German manga" being a thing, I don't know if you cunts know anything about that.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 am

Oh, they will try. They can only suspend their disbelief about Japanese manga being halal for so long.

And I actually got a few Germanga (or whatever the hell the "official" term is) during that short weeb phase where I would just buy random stuff. Can't for the life of me remember and manga or arist names, and I haven't that stuff ready at hand to check. Art is a mixed bag as far as I've seen, though there definitely seems to be some talent. The vast majority of it seems to be short-running shoujoshit or shoujo-adjacent-shit.

We certainly won't be seeing any "Original German Anime" adaptations of any of that because that would be expensive. Maybe as a European co-production.

Come to think of it... does anyone of you even know of a German comic? I can't really think of anything that would have any kind of international recognition. Except for Maus, I guess.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:22 pm

In Europe, the only scene for comics that was noteworthy was the Belgian-French one.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Theres at least a few Italian comics with "notable" film adaptations.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Italian comic artists are also really into Donald Duck. Even gave him a capehsit alter ego (at least initially) inspired by older European capeshit stuff like Diabolik and Fantomas.
-Yours Truly

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Euros generally really seem to like Donald Duck. Don Rosa said that his neighbours in America are barely cognisant of what it is he does/did, whereas in Europe he's always getting fans coming up to him
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.