Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Auli

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Auli » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:38 am

The Duck is huge in Scandinavia.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 am

Thought you said 'dick' for a second
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am

Donald is bigger in Europe than anywhere else. Over here, it's the LTB books that caused that. They are basically three to five Donald comics put together as a pocket paperback. The translation is legendarily good.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 am

With "over here" I mean Germany, not all of Europe.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeah, I don't know why that is.
Disney put out a SNES game back in the day called "Donald in Maui Mallard". But some dumb exec forced them to rename it "Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow" for its US release. Because "Donald isn't COOL!! Kids won't buy it!"
Well, I didn't buy it because I was completely confused by the title and cover.

I think it's because Donald Duck is such an old character and there were many decades where Disney did absolutely nothing with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy thanks to a dumb policy by Michael Eisner, so kids weren't familiar with the characters.
There's some CGI show on the Disney for little kids that uses the classic characters. I don't know if they appear in much else. I assume Donald is in the new DuckTales show, but I don't watch it.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 am
Thought you said 'dick' for a second
The dick in Scandinavia is unwashed, Islamic, and going inside your underage daughter.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:03 pm
Yeah, I don't know why that is.
Disney put out a SNES game back in the day called "Donald in Maui Mallard". But some dumb exec forced them to rename it "Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow" for its US release. Because "Donald isn't COOL!! Kids won't buy it!"
Well, I didn't buy it because I was completely confused by the title and cover.
Thankfully, the Donald is too big in Pal regions to hide his identity.Image
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 pm
Euros generally really seem to like Donald Duck. Don Rosa said that his neighbours in America are barely cognisant of what it is he does/did, whereas in Europe he's always getting fans coming up to him
I think the main reason that makes Donald so much more popular over here than Mickey (aside from Donald being a much more flawed character) are the comics.

Sure, there are Mickey comics, but they're mostly pretty mundane, with the more interesting ones having him do detective stuff. The Ducks on the other hand - thanks to Carl Barks and later Don Rosa - had all sort of really cool pulp adventure stuff going on, be it some grand treasure hunt or Scrooge's various enemies pulling all sorts of crazy keikakus. And in-between all of that you have Donald working for a pittance.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:27 pm

My older sister had that Maui Mallard game for PC. Was cool I guess. Never got too far into it, I might have been too young to understand it, and I've always been a lil waterhead when it comes to games.
That CGI lil kids show (Mickey Mouse Playhouse) ended two years ago. I thought it ended way earlier but I guess that was just a channel change.
I know Disney tried to make web animations of Mickey "adventures", and they had a Mickey short that was on the Frozen DVD, but ye he ded.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Nah, they just need too make him to come out as in a gay relationship with Goofy!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Would it be considered beastiality if Goofy and Pluto were in a relationship?

I'd say the closest you could compare Maui Mallard with are the Earthworm Jim games. Jumps are a bit floaty and there are some annoying levels, but it's pretty cool. One of the reasons why the tried to hide Donald's involvement in some areas might also be because it can be oddly sinister for a Disney title, especially in the last couple levels where you fight undead pirates and stuff.

(Then again Don Rosa wrote a story where Donald trolls the Grim Reaper, so what do I know about what Disney considers halal for the Duck.)

Also the music's pretty neat.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette