Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 pm

But it was spot-fucking-on with the Zeitgeist.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:35 am

I'd argue the Matrix (first one only) was pretty good for the time period. Contrary to what Doge Walker has said, I think the effects hold up surprisingly well given its age and the themes are still relevant. The entire movie is quite a concise package that never needed any sequels or other explanations. It tells a complete story. Its themes aren't going to take you by surprise or anything, but they're generally presented succinctly (check that runtime and then go back and see how many things get explained in very short conversation blurbs.)

It isn't the best movie ever made, but it's pretty good for what it was. People who think/thought Ghost in the Shell was over-wordy and a bit pretentious should be all over The Matrix. It generally shies from pseudo-philosophical bullshit in the first film. It isn't until 2 and 3 that they really started to shove that crap. Most of the philosophy in the first film informs the story directly or develops characters so we can better understand their motivations for the big action set pieces. Like the guy who says "why didn't I take the other pill" jokingly, and we later realize this was a deeply revealing slip that gave us a glimpse into his personal struggle. And is he really even wrong? The action in The Matrix has meaning because the film develops its characters and lets us see what is at stake. Even Smith talking about humans as viruses gives insight into his burgeoning personality as an AI with sentience. It's all developing his character for that final confrontation with Neo.

I mean, again, it's not a 10/10 movie or anything, but it brought cyberpunk to the masses and it integrated martial arts in an interesting way, with a unique in-universe justification for it and the related wire-fu wuxia shit.

And for all the bitching Doge did, it's till a better movie than anything we'll ever see from an e-celeb.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:35 am
People who think/thought Ghost in the Shell was over-wordy and a bit pretentious should be all over The Matrix. It generally shies from pseudo-philosophical bullshit in the first film.
That's why I like the movie. Ghost in the Shell really fucked up by not expanding on how that guy with the photo was hacked into and thought he had a family. That moment was brilliant but it is ignored throughout the movie to instead have The Major and Batou read out Oshii's essay's on Transhumanism and pretend he is still making a movie. And having the whole movie be about the AI wanting to have a baby was way less interesting than what happened to that guy, having more examples of The Puppet Master fucking with people to commit crimes and messing with their heads would have made for a much more interesting movie, especially if you focus on the fear it would create in society and the aftermath of someone who was messed with.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:16 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
it brought cyberpunk to the masses
I thought Blade Runner did that
rabidtictac wrote:
And for all the bitching Doge did, it's till a better movie than anything we'll ever see from an e-celeb.
That's a given
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:12 pm

A lot of people didn't see Blade Runner. Anyway, they're two different types of cyberpunk. Blade Runner is the neo-noir 1940s cyberpunk and Matrix is the more punk aspect.

Blade Runner is the better movie by far, but we get so few decent cyberpunk movies in the first place that both films are pretty much certain to take top spots in examples of their genre.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Matrix is basically the modern Highlander. Great movie, but it really didn't need those shitty sequels.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm

I actually don't like Blade Runner. I've seen it twice, both times trying to like it, and I just don't. It's boring and thinks it's revealing something profound when it really just looks good but tells a tryhard story with a shit protagonist.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:05 pm

It's kinda like a proper live-action version of the Ghost in the Shell movie.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Not really. It's got the tryhard shit but in BR our hero isn't badass at any point.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm
I actually don't like Blade Runner. I've seen it twice, both times trying to like it, and I just don't. It's boring and thinks it's revealing something profound when it really just looks good but tells a tryhard story with a shit protagonist.
Which cut did you watch?

I must say that Blade Runner has got to be one of my all-time favourite movies
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.