Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Rurouni Kenshin - Hokkaido Arc is apparently back in publication. The official simulcast translation is still canned.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:55 pm
Rurouni Kenshin - Hokkaido Arc is apparently back in publication. The official simulcast translation is still canned.
Yeah, I have the two Japanese volumes that have been released so far. I figured no English language version will ever be released here. If they tried, the SJWs would go ballistic on Twitter.
お前はもう死んでいる。

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 am

I feel like the moment has passed for rurouni kenshin to be big. It was a product of its time. Shit like inuyasha and kenshin look/feel old as far as shounen go. Shounen is very much one of those industries that relies on the current generation of young buyers to succeed. Nobody ever ran 50 volumes of a shounen after it sold like dogshit for the first 5.

I'm not saying kenshin didn't sell well in its day, but I think the current shounen readers are not the same audience that read kenshin back in the day.

Maybe a soft reboot could work, but I'm assuming "hokkaido arc" is the name of arc 3 that was never animated? If so, you can't start watching rurouni kenshin with that arc. You'd miss way too much. 2nd arc is the only one that mattered. 1st arc had all the character building.

Also I just wanna add that rurouni kenshin isn't all that amazing. I had a few volumes kicking around and I tried to read them a year or so ago. Shit has aged like milk. Trigun is better than kenshin in every way.
SpoilerShow
A show feeling old is different from being old, too. Fist of the North Star is old but it doesn't feel old. What makes kenshin feel old is a bunch of small things. Excessive blood but no gore ever. Almost nobody dies. Stupid sakabato meme philosophy that leads to batman levels of silliness. Old man main character romancing literal underage girl. And all the cliche as fuck character archetypes.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 am
Maybe a soft reboot could work, but I'm assuming "hokkaido arc" is the name of arc 3 that was never animated?
Thats the Kyoto arc you absolutely fucking stupid nigger loving retard.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 am
Thats the Kyoto arc you absolutely fucking stupid nigger loving retard.
Calm down
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:45 am

I suppose this release is targeted at the old fans, anyways.
rabidtictac wrote:
SpoilerShow
A show feeling old is different from being old, too. Fist of the North Star is old but it doesn't feel old. What makes kenshin feel old is a bunch of small things. Excessive blood but no gore ever. Almost nobody dies. Stupid sakabato meme philosophy that leads to batman levels of silliness. Old man main character romancing literal underage girl. And all the cliche as fuck character archetypes.
SpoilerShow
True. A modern manga would have the underaged main character romance his little sister.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:13 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:45 am
I suppose this release is targeted at the old fans
And the young girls.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Maybe a soft reboot could work, but I'm assuming "hokkaido arc" is the name of arc 3 that was never animated?
I think you're thinking of the Jinchu arc. The "Trust & Betrayal" OVA was sort of a prelude to that and then it was never animated. For some reason the following OVAs were wasted on nonsense instead of doing Jinchu.

Hokkaido arc is the 4th arc I believe, and is still ongoing. Due to the damage to Watsuki's reputation due to his arrest, I would think the chances of there ever being another anime are pretty low. But you never know.

EDIT: I forgot, there was a trilogy of live action movies a few years back that renewed interest in the series. That's probably why the manga came back in the first place.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:21 pm

I think Watsuki went back to Kenshin because all his other works bombed. Gun Blaze West was canned, Buso Renkin probably did the best out of the post kenshin works, nobody cares about Embalming.
His assistant Hiroyuki Takei does the same thing with Shaman King.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm

This other works bombed because he was never that good in the first place. Buso Renkin was shit. Arc 3 of rurouni kenshin was trash and I don't even want to think about how bad the 4th arc probably is.

Shounen are products of their time and it's extremely possible for a shounen to become very popular independent of its quality. Bleach was fucking awful after the soul society. Naruto seesawed wildly in terms of quality but tended to be terrible most of the time. Inuyasha was a solid 0/10 after about volume 7 or so.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome