Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Well, reading katakana just involves hitting wikipedia and trying to convert the word back into Western letters.

(Which is of course way easier when the word is from your mother tongue. I've once seen a translator of SRW stuff doing some weird shit with the German names there, which he apparently didn't even realize were German to begin with.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I'll try that, but the thing is that I don't really speak German. I tried using an English translation once and didn't have a lot of luck. With these sort of things, I wonder if there are multiple was of saying "youth" in German. (There certainly are in Japanese.)

Another thing I just remembered was translating characters names in Space Battleship Yamato. The series has had a history of naming villains Germanic sounding names or at times directly after specific German historical figures.

Sometimes the professional anime translators don't do the research and the botch the characters' names. And then these botched names will often become the official English name for eternity. (See the English dub of the Dragon Ball franchise for reference.) So it's nice to get characters' names translated correctly and out there on the net ASAP. Because I've noticed a lot of the pro translators will reference fan sites these days.

I'm already having this problem with the new Lupin the 3rd series (part 5). It takes place in France and people are butchering all the characters' names. I don't speak French either, but I know enough to know these are all wrong.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:24 am

Language's are hard. Why can't everybody just speak American English?

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:24 am
Language's are hard. Why can't everybody just speak American English?
According to the movies, they do!
お前はもう死んでいる。

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 pm
With these sort of things, I wonder if there are multiple was of saying "youth" in German. (There certainly are in Japanese.)
No, not really. You can use words to replace it, depending on the context, but nothing you couldn't also do in other languages. Like, calling your "youth" your "childhood" or your "spring" or whatever. But there are no other versions of "youth" or really any other word for that matter.

The only thing that comes close to such a thing is that German usually has a native version of a latin-based word that's totally valid but seldom used. For example, you can call something "obsolet" (obsolete, duh) but most will say "veraltet" ("over aged") instead.
You could also call it "überflüssig" (superfluous) or "nicht mehr zeitgemäß" (not adequate for the times). Yeah, those don't exactly mean the same thing but they are often used interchangeably and you can see how it's not really any different from how it works in English.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 am

Using these Latin-based words in actual everyday language makes you one of those internet "intellectuals" who put on a fake British accents to appear smarter (as in "Look at me! I know of a more obtuse way of saying things!"). Aka probably not good for translations unless the guy is supposed to be a pompous douche.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:43 pm

It depends. In some instances, the latin-based words are very commonly used.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Seen about 10 episodes of Ajin: Demi-Human now.

It's... ok. My biggest problem is that I don't really like the main character xD
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 pm

I'd say a likeable main character in modern animu is more of an exception. A glitch in the Matrix, if you will.
-Yours Truly

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Auli wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm
Seen about 10 episodes of Ajin: Demi-Human now.

It's... ok. My biggest problem is that I don't really like the main character xD
Oh, I openly cheer for the villain on that show, a very open homage to Hannibal Smith from the A-Team.
お前はもう死んでいる。