Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Bobito

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Bobito » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Last time I checked they were at episode 15, some eons ago since I watched a mech series so I lost track. Well maybe it was the reason, nips can be touchy in some topics.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 pm

I've heard good things about Dougram, but a 75 episode length scares me away.

It looks like a lot of 80s mecha are coming out on BD looking at Amazon.... Ideon, Godmars, Xabungle, etc. Not super familiar with these, although I know Xabungle has a good theme song. I'll never have the time + patience to watch them all though. There used to be these Youtube compilations that was just the openings of every mecha anime. (Thankfully I saved these before YouTube took them down.) The 80s section alone was 1hr19min.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm
I could never really get into Gundam like some people do. It's something about the fact that Tomino takes his war story so seriously and yet his characters often come off so goofy and just make really baffling decisions.

I know part of the problem is that Gundam didn't come over to the States until I was already an adult and I'd already seen other anime that I'd felt had done the mecha thing much better:
There’s another entry on my to do list.

Also Sieg Zeon! :lol: Using any Zeon logo as an avatar is a great way to bait pseudo intellectuals and SJWs. You get results, even if your words are mild and you’re simply disagreeing with someone.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 pm
I've heard good things about Dougram, but a 75 episode length scares me away.

It looks like a lot of 80s mecha are coming out on BD looking at Amazon.... Ideon, Godmars, Xabungle, etc. Not super familiar with these, although I know Xabungle has a good theme song. I'll never have the time + patience to watch them all though. There used to be these Youtube compilations that was just the openings of every mecha anime. (Thankfully I saved these before YouTube took them down.) The 80s section alone was 1hr19min.
Dougram was cool. I watched in three weeks back when I was a less busy NEET.
Theres tons of 80s mecha animu on Blu-ray. All these SDBDs are fucking gay though. Sentai was gonna shit out Ideon onto SDBD when its the only one of the three you listed to have an actual HD remaster.
Godmars has some good music but apparently its a real turd, a slideshow that goes nowhere.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm
I could never really get into Gundam like some people do. It's something about the fact that Tomino takes his war story so seriously and yet his characters often come off so goofy and just make really baffling decisions.
That's a problem in the core 0079 and some of the other ones, like Zeta Gundam. But there are stories like War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team that take themselves completely seriously. Norris Packard from 08th MS Team is really the model of how I think Zeon characters should be written. He's just a soldier who takes pride in what he does. He's not bloodthirsty, arrogant or cartoonishly evil. In the final action sequence he takes part in, he deliberately avoids direct confrontation in the pursuit of his mission, which is to eliminate Federation artillery and delay the 08th. One man, in a single Gouf Custom, fights an entire squad reinforced with artillery. And he wins.
SpoilerShow
He also dies. But that is part of the job, and he completed his mission.
War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory are great too. Tomino was clearly obsessed with newtypes, but the OVAs don't contain any of that shit. Newtypes in the OVAs are just people, and they're often rookies who are shown to struggle against more veteran opponents. I'm not sure 08th MS Team has any newtypes at all, unless Aina and her brother are.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:02 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:07 pm
Tomino was clearly obsessed with newtypes
Well, not really. The term Newtype and the characters having ESP only turned up in the latter half of First Gundam and the reason he did that was to explain why Amuro, a fifteen year old boy with no previous combat experience, got to be such a skilled pilot in a relatively short amount of time. Apparently the fact that he had tons of combat experience, being in battle almost daily for four months, in a mobile suit that was practically indestructible, wasn't a good enough explanation for Tomino
rabidtictac wrote:
Newtypes in the OVAs are just people, and they're often rookies who are shown to struggle against more veteran opponents.
There are no Newtypes in the OVAs you describe. In fact, I'd argue the entire point of 0083 is that it's counterpoint to Char's Counterattack, which came out a couple years before.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

ban

Post by ban » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory are great too. Tomino was clearly obsessed with newtypes, but the OVAs don't contain any of that shit. Newtypes in the OVAs are just people, and they're often rookies who are shown to struggle against more veteran opponents. I'm not sure 08th MS Team has any newtypes at all, unless Aina and her brother are.
Norris and Gato are the two most(and perhaps only) admirable and proper Zeon soldiers. Hell, I felt like shit when they died.

The only Newtype in the OVAs, is Johhny Ridden in a cameo at 0083, during the very first scenes but you wither have to consult a wiki or be an ultra Zeon sperge to even know how he looks like. :lol:

Tomino was obsessed with the idea of Newtypes because he believed in New Age stuff and that humans would evolve once they are freed from gravity, hence why the Newtype powers start with a vague idea similar to the Force and evolve into something out of Space Odyssey to even transcend Time, Space and reality. A lot of people were conveinced he was either taking drugs or that he was into a cult but as it turns out he was just plain weird. It's also why I hate most U.C. shows since I roll my eyes hard when it comes to Newtypes. Cybernewtypes on the other hand like in Sentinel and Blue Destiny are always interesting since they and the Newtypes there are treated like Horror monsters to the point where scenes can go from robot action to space horror.

Shame how only Gundam X managed to portray likable Newtypes and had them be interesting.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:53 pm

I remember liking those OVAs when I saw them a long timed ago. Except when at the end of one of them Bask Ohm suddenly showed up and turned the Federation into space Nazis out of nowhere. Because it all has to connect to Zeta, which I hadn't seen yet. It seemed so jarring.
I remember not liking Char's Counterattack all that much.
お前はもう死んでいる。

ban

Post by ban » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Yeah, because the idea in Zeta was that the Feddies had to use an excuse beyond >MUH SPACE NAZIS to have an Earth Junta and take over so they could be in charge and do what the fuck thy wanted like a proper militaristic regime. That's what the Titans are in Zeta and they are all huge cunts and massive douches. They're also the only reason anyone roots for Camile, put him next to any other villain and they'd wish for Camile's death. :lol:
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:58 pm

It's obvious Tomino was obsessed with newtypes. The shit that happens at the end of Unicorn is the natural end point of all the newtype bullshit with Lalah and Camille. Newtypes featured heavily in 0079, Zeta Gundam, Char's CA and Unicorn. In other words, the "main" stories of Universal Century Gundam.

The side stories are much better.

I was under the impression that the Gundam Alex pilot from War in the Pocket was a newtype. Guess not.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome