Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:08 am

Uzumaki has an animu?
The manga is certainly one of Itou's klessiks, though you might find it irritating that the main characters never consider getting the fuck out of town until it's too late. It's almost like an anthology horror that happens to reuse the same characters over and over again.
Speaking of, his anthology stories are also golden. The Oshikiri and Souichi tales have some cool shit.
For more longer stories, I found that Black Paradox (about a suicide club that runs into weird shit) is a bit underrated. I find that it is more consistent than other of his longer stories and avoids some of the fatigue or late-chapter ridiculousness*.

*) At least compared to the beginning of the story. Pretty much their first supernatural encounter is a meeting with evil doppelgangers that is never explained.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:27 am

Uzumaki has an anime coming soonish, but the mango is a total recommend in the meantime.

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am

I'm mostly worried because a) the animu adaptation of (some) of his anthology stories was more on the low-budget site, and b) this trailer looks like a CGI animu with a shitload of filters.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:39 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:31 am
I'm mostly worried because a) the animu adaptation of (some) of his anthology stories was more on the low-budget site, and b) this trailer looks like a CGI animu with a shitload of filters.
I feel ya man, I have low expectations when it comes to shit like this.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:59 am
If you want something good, check out Uzumaki. Nice and short, has a fitting conclusion and doesn't feel particularly weebshitty. That Darkwood game was heavily, heavily inspired by it.
Forbidden Siren was also very inspired by Uzumaki, with the monsters mutating into giant insects in the second half, and rearranging buildings and shacks in order to build a giant nest.

If he wants a horror mango weebshittery-free though, Dragon Head is probably the best option.
Japan destroyed by mysterious cataclysm, realistic plot and art, Silent Hill-like atmosphere.
Drifting Classroom is probably a good option too, but it's very old.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:08 am
Uzumaki has an animu?
It has a live action movie:

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:08 am
though you might find it irritating that the main characters never consider getting the fuck out of town until it's too late.
It's a plot point that the curse keeps them there, making them forget what is going on around them.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Oh, now that makes more sense. Always thought the protagonist was too much of a bimbo and her boyfriend too much of a Spoony.
And that live-action one is an old hat. I didn't consider it in this talk about animu.
Complicity wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 pm
Horror manga from the 70s and older are a bit of an acquired taste, since the dominant style at the time might look a bit too Astro Boy to be considered scary today, even if they do feature body horror and other favorites.

Though while we're at the topic of other horror manga, I would recommend Zekkyō Gakkyū aka Screaming Lessons aka Scary Lessons for the Western release. It's technically Tales from the Crypt for girls, but the stories can get pretty fucked up.
I mean, the Crypt-Keeper-equivalent (who has "prequel" chapters centered around her) is a schoolgirl ghost whose lower body is missing because she died when she allahu-akbar'd her school bullies.
And then there's a story where another schoolgirl and her little sister switch bodies, which sounds harmless put is probably the most fucked-up version of Freaky Friday you will find (the little girl not having a clear idea of right and wrong yet gives her some serious psychopath vibes, especially for the older sisters whose now much smaller body is completely helpless against her).

I cannot vouch for later chapters, though. I think at some point the mangaka had to tone things down a bit because parents kept whining or something.
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:17 pm

Complicity wrote:
Dorifuting Assroom is 10/10. Nothing better than a horror story that consists of nothing but cruelty to children.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Complicity wrote:
rabidtictac wrote:
If you want something good, check out Uzumaki. Nice and short, has a fitting conclusion and doesn't feel particularly weebshitty. That Darkwood game was heavily, heavily inspired by it.
Forbidden Siren was also very inspired by Uzumaki, with the monsters mutating into giant insects in the second half, and rearranging buildings and shacks in order to build a giant nest.
Explains why Forbidden Siren is one of the only properly scary horror games, then. Not just "oh a monster jumped out and I was surprised," but oppressive and creepy. The way the shibito have been transformed in various ways (mentally and physically) is so much better and more effective than a traditional zombie or even the silent hill monsters.

This threatens to get dangerously off-topic, but Kuon (which I'm sure you know about) is my other pick for scary horror. Most horror games just aren't scary. The writing is usually too shit. Even amazingly fun games like RE2 aren't scary at all. They're just fun to play.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
VOTOMS is absolutely worth it if you've never seen. You enjoyed starship troopers? You enjoyed fist of the north star? You will enjoy votoms. Most science fiction anime is space opera. Votoms is a lot closer to hard sf. If only the bad guys didn't have such terminal cases of stormtrooper aim.
It's my favorite mecha anime. Yes, I rank it higher than all the Gundams. All the characters are great. Love the theme songs too.
お前はもう死んでいる。

casual pleb

Post by casual pleb » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Monster is ok. I think it's a bit overlong.
Yeah, I am re-watching it right now and it does drag a tad too much, it's still rather enjoyable, because it is very well done, but
SpoilerShow
Tenma chases this guy for 30 episodes just to pussy out at the last moment, just to chase him again for another 30 episodes, wth of infuriating shit is that?