Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:51 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:12 am
Before anyone mentions it, same goes for Star Trek.
Abrams Trek maybe. You're very, very wrong about classic Trek
Nah. All the wiki autism and overexplaining doesn't work for it either. It's more solid than SW but the ultra geeks are just as bad.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:40 pm

They need to overexplain, in order to bring meaning to their empty lifes.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 pm
Nah. All the wiki autism and overexplaining doesn't work for it either. It's more solid than SW but the ultra geeks are just as bad.
I can't speak to wiki autism but Star Trek wasn't just disposable trash. The best of the series, and even sometimes the worst of the series, would at least present an idea or concept, or pose some philosophical question designed to make the viewer at least think about what they just watched. This is why Abrams is so hated amongst Star Trek fans. He basically admitted that he was just a smoothbrain who didn't 'get' Star Trek, so he took it and basically just turned it into another action sci-fi series like Star Wars, where you don't actually have to think about what you're being presented. He turned it into disposable trash

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 am

I don't disagree at all but that wasn't what I was talking about.
I was talking about the pure setting/world and neither are actually all that great to explore deeply or start to explain beyond a surface level.

Both work for what they are intended to do. Star Trek is a vehicle for adventures of different worlds and cultures and to ponder the moral questions that would come up in the interaction with them.
Star Wars works for an action adventure where good triumphs over evil.

But the inner workings of the setting itself isn't important. With Trek it's better explained and more plausible but it's best to not delve into the big wars on Earth that led to it because it's never actually explained and not meant to be explained.

With SW it just reveals how truly shallow the setting is and how none of it makes sense. You really just have to accept the Empire to rule with an iron fist and that they are evil. Neither the Empire nor the Republic make enough sense.

It's not like WH40k or LOTR where you have the story of the entire world is defined. Trek and SW are just supposed to be settings to get plopped into and take it from there.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:30 am

I will admit the weak point of Trek is how this utopian Earth works. The franchise is very inconsistent about it.
お前はもう死んでいる。

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:27 am

Well, good thing it is no longer utopian :roll:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:30 am
I will admit the weak point of Trek is how this utopian Earth works. The franchise is very inconsistent about it.
Which is exactly why taking that universe and try to delve deeper into that subject would be a fool's errand.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:49 pm
Which is exactly why taking that universe and try to delve deeper into that subject would be a fool's errand.
Right. It was never meant to be explored. 23rd century Earth was never even shown in the TOS TV show. The focus of the show was always space exploration.

And it didn't even matter until dumbass autists on the internet like MovieBob took this utopian future shit too seriously
お前はもう死んでいる。

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm
Right. It was never meant to be explored. 23rd century Earth was never even shown in the TOS TV show. The focus of the show was always space exploration.
I could have sworn they went to Earth in that two-parter with Pike
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm

Not really? They brought him on board from a starbase and then eventually went to that forbidden planet.
I'm pretty sure they never go to Earth outside of time travel episodes, because their whole assignment was about spending 5 years in bumfuck nowhere.
-Yours Truly