Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Cuckara

Re: Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Post by Cuckara » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:43 pm

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:25 pm
Rushy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:20 am
But that was one of the few things that actually made sense. The chosen one, the one to bring balance to the Force - by bringing back the Sith.
It would've been some nice delicious irony, but George says balance is in fact the absence of the Sith and their unbalancing ways.
Which really doesn't make sense. Anakin bringing balance to the force does, when you consider before Anakin the Sith were all but extinct and the Jedi were a dominant force in the galaxy. At the end of the prequels there was just 2 Sith and 2 Jedi remaining (before all the shit-ass retcons). Always felt very "balanced" to me at that point.
I've never gotten why George felt the need to make up a retarded prophecy and turn Anakin into space Jesus. Luke comes from a family line that is strong with the force. His father was a Jedi who was tragically corrupted, but in the end, Luke turns him back to the light. Evil is vanquished, the galaxy is safe. It's all so simple; there so no need to turn it into "the Jedi foretold that a super duper force user would have a virgin birth and bring balance to the galaxy by wiping out the Sith."

Also, it is firmly established in the prequels that the Sith were unheard of in the galaxy for centuries, so its not like Anakin was bringing balance after centuries of tyranny or some shit. Sheev just caused some mayhem for a few decades, so what was so special about Anakin and the "bring balance to the force" bullshit? It would've made a lot more sense if the balance was what you guys said; that the Jedi and Sith needed to be on an equal playing field, and Anakin brought that about. However, George instead went for something far dumber.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Hack writers love using stupid prophecies to generate cheap mystery. Blizzard loves doing is, as do those recent Star-Trek-in-Name-Only shows afaik.

Strangely enough, they keep fucking this up when adapting stuff like Greek or Norse mythology that was all about prophecies and how you can never escape your fate.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:02 pm

it's not like the Chosen One prophecy was really necessary anyway - the story works just the same if he was just someone with a high midichlorian count whom Qui-Gon considered to be worth training. They barely reference the prophecy after Phantom Menace
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:49 am

I think George just wanted to avoid having to bring a father into it. Even if he forbade the EU from making Tarkin anakin's father the fans would insist on knowing who he was.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am

But he could've made a prequel prequel trilogy about Anakin's father. Like pottery, you know?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 am

I'm going full death of the author on this one. Anakin bringing balance by having the Jedis take a fall and the Sith to resurge just makes too much sense. I don't care if that's accidental and even explicitly denied by Lucas. The prophecy going wrong or being misinterpreted is the better and more plausible story.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 am
I'm going full death of the author on this one. Anakin bringing balance by having the Jedis take a fall and the Sith to resurge just makes too much sense. I don't care if that's accidental and even explicitly denied by Lucas. The prophecy going wrong or being misinterpreted is the better and more plausible story.
Isn't that kind of what Last Jedi was going for?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:42 pm

I remember during the times the prequels were being made, people theorized that Anakin was not the chosen one and that Luke actually was.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Rushy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 am
You're giving Reeeeeeeeeeean Johnson too much credit.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 am

Rushy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm
No. I'm not tearing stuff down with a wrecking ball to shock people. I'm taking something that's happening in the story and interpret it in a more sensible manner. You don't have to care what Lucas has to say outside of the movies when you can come to a conclusion within them that's just plain better.

In fact, the use of the term "balance" is so wonderfully vague and open for misinterpretation in-universe as some kind of old prophecy that isn't fully understood that I doubt he came up with it anyway. I'm sure he originally wrote Anakin as the saviour even more on the nose than "the chosen one" already is and somebody told him to tone it down with the messiah stuff.
Let's not forget that he'd end up as black cyborg strangle-kill dude for a few decades before yeeting Palps off a railing.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!