Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
veris leta facies

Re: Star Whores: Diverse Agenda

Post by veris leta facies » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Not just a great pick-up line, also a decent point; sand is quite irritating. Fuck the sand.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:51 pm

The beach is for scum.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:44 pm

It's the ocean that's the real bitch. So salty, man.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:01 pm

One line = an entire movie
And im shitposting? alllriiiiiighhttt....
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:04 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 am
Rushy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 am
AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 am
I have a high opinion of myself because I think the OT wasnt good and because I call people who are dumb followers without arguments faggots? Alllriiiighht XD
Where are your arguments?
Go read the topic lol. Also if someone claims something is bad I shouldnt be the one giving the reasons its not bad first, they should include it with the statement of it sucking then I can respond to it. But yeah its already in this topic at least twice so have fun reading.
Okay, here's my reasoning:

1) The characters are mostly all Jedi or political types without much flavour to them due to their repressed nature. The few exceptions like General Grievous don't last very long or in the case of Jar-Jar, are so unbearable that Lucas was forced to downplay him later. In the OT, you had Harrison Ford, whose character was both more outspoken and who, as an actor, took the material as the lighter fare that it was and made Han more organic and relatable. You had Carrie Fisher, who in contrast to the fairly passive Portman(action scenes not counting) was constantly exchanging sharp barbs with Ford. ("I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!" "I can arrange that!").
And there's more, like Lando, Jabba, even Yoda when we first meet him.

2) There's more of an adventure feel to the OT, whereas the prequel character are always on some political mission(working to protect the Queen in Ep I, solving an assassination attempt in Ep II, spying on Palpatine in Ep III). In the OT, it's usually just a matter of getting somewhere to stay alive or attacking the enemy. None of the main characters except Leia had anything to do with whoever led the Rebels.

Now that's not to say doing something different is a bad idea or they shouldn't have focused on the fall of the Republic, but when the characters are always motivated by some big agenda, it's harder for the audience to relate since most viewers are nobodies. For it to work, the politics in question have to be REALLY interesting and REALLY emotionally charged. But in Episode I, we're expected to care before we even know who the Queen really is or what the stakes are. Same in Episode II, since the Separatists are only established in the opening crawl rather than action(whereas we see Imperial cruelty first hand in the OT). And in Episode III, leaving aside the fact that we know Ian McDiarmid is the villain, the lack of trust between the Senate and the Jedi kinda comes out of nowhere.

3) Lack of chemistry and consistency between leads when compared to the OT. This is a more subjective opinion, but I don't think anyone will argue that nothing in the PT comes close to the camaraderie between Luke, Han and Leia. Those three were balanced really well, with each adding something different to the team.

4) Episode I is completely pointless. The only thing that means anything in that film is Palpatine becoming Chancellor(which wasn't really a mystery - dude's a politician) and Anakin becoming a Jedi(which he could've been since birth like all the other Jedi if we went by the OT's backstory).
It's not even a backstory for the Separatists, because the main villains are only one part of the later Separatist faction and driven by greed rather than ideology. Finding out how and why the Separatists got funded = intense stuff.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:25 pm

1) I think its known most people like the jedi, you not liking them doesnt mean the movies are bad. But yeah the characters are better in the OT. The prequels have other strength like lightsaber fights.

2) Seeing how a jedi got turned to the biggest bad guy in the universe was what the prequels are about to me, the political missions and horrible anakin / padme "relationship" are just the backdrop for that. Also the Emperor is the best character in all the sw movies for me so seeing him rise to power and setup dominion is also more the point of the prequels. Him influencing the republic, the jedi council and Anakin is how Anakin could become Vader in the end.

3) once again just because the OT has different strong points doesnt mean the prequels are bad for being good in other areas instead of the same areas. And the master / student relation between obi and anakin is pretty good.

4) episode one serves to setup the profecy and why Anakin is so important and has such high expectations of both the jedi and himself.It also sets him up as kindhearted and good which makes his corruption and fall later more impactful. It also sets up how the jedi have gotten too confident and too full of themselves blinded of what the dark side can do / is doing, setting up how Anakin can turn against them seeing how they failed to protect / save people during his whole lifetime and then when he gets to join them and wants to correct that they dont let him as much as he wants which lets Palpetine get a hold of him.

Still it are all just your personal preferences vs mine. You cant find any flaws in the OT? Those movies had the same amount of problems and the acting wasnt great either. It was lacking in other areas so I dont get where the concept comes from that the prequels are 20 times as bad as movies that werent all that great themselves.
Also I will never get if you place importance in those areas how you can like the disney movies, they have the worst characters and lack of chemistry out of all of them. Rey and Kylo are the worst hollow ass characters to be on screen in the last 50 years... Seems very arbitrary to look at the prequels through a lens you dont seem to apply to the OT nor the Disney films.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Episode I doesn't really have any lasting relevance aside from establishing characters. There's too big a time gap between it and Episode II to matter.

Also, I've been wondering: Was it the prequel trilogy who decided that old Ben's local hobo garb was the officially-sanctioned Jedi uniform, or did the EU had that brainfart first?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 pm

1) I like the Jedi fine, I'm just saying some variety would've been nice. The clash of personalities creates more fun banter and conflict of interest. Lightsaber fights are good fun, but they can't really replace great characterisation.

2) Which sounds great in theory, but isn't that awesome in execution. In Episode I, we get nothing aside from that one scene of Anakin kicking Greedo around to hint that he has a darker side(and that got cut). In Episode II, Anakin became so whiny that it was hard to feel any sympathy for him. And in Episode III, his disillusionment towards the Jedi(something that the far superior novelisation emphasises) is mostly overshadowed by his fear of losing Padme, to the point where it didn't make much sense for him to continue on the dark path after Padme was gone.

I will grant you that the Emperor kicks ass in all of these movies.

3) My point is that the elements where the OT succeeds over the PT are more important than the elements where the PT succeeds over the OT. Yes, the newer lightsaber duels are badass and I appreciate the darker tone, but having practical creature effects, more entertaining characters and better pacing just makes for a superior set of films. There's a reason why those films were successful and the later ones weren't.

4) The Jedi prophecy stuff equates to about ten minutes of screentime. And as for Anakin being good, that's only one small element of the movie. Even his relationship with Padme gets pretty much reset in Episode II to the point where they might've just met in that film for all it matters.

5) I prefer the ST to the PT, because Disney clearly tried to learn from the mistakes of the PT and capitalise on what made the franchise successful. Basically, I just had a better time watching them. It has its own set of flaws, which I'll be happy to discuss when Episode IX comes out.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:18 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am
Golly gee, I sure do wonder why Hayden Christensen never had a career after Star Wars
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:33 pm

You didnt see jumper?? Oh wait noone did
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine