STD

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: STD

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 am
STD is all that platform has going for it. It's their flagship show. If they cancel it, they'd be admitting defeat.
My point
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 am
It's not just regular TV, though. People can much more directly quit. They were really hoping STD to be a selling point for their pay TV crap.
If it came to it they'd probably work out a deal wherein they can show STD on regular TV and still have some vain hope that people will sign-up for their On Demand service in an already crowded marketplace of On Demand services.

I'm not saying it will work, execs are idiots, but that's probably what they'll do.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

sigh

Post by sigh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Watched episode 6, the show became self aware or at least insecurities of the writing stuff were brought to the surface. Sarek sacrificing his adopted daughter's future over Spock's is pretty much how they think this series will be seen by hardcore tos fans. They'll always favor Spock no matter how good STD will be.
Vulcan radical logical terrorists, my sides and I thought Vulcan academy logical bullies were silly.
I warmed up to Lorca as the antagonist, the way he manipulated his admiral girlfriend's life using only what she was expecting from him to follow was great.
There is something that incredibly annoys me in the way tech in this series works. The way that computers question your orders or suggesting different things when they are ordered simple tasks. It worked when discount Spock was in the brig, because it was to show she can out logic a computer, but when Saru wants a simple program that will compare him to other leaders, that seems idiotic. Or when they replicate a meal the voice interface comments at how nutritious it is what is even the purpose of that. I'm glad that in 10 years time they scraped all this and started building ships from cardboard.
Is there no other place to jog on the ship or they can only use the corridors inconveniencing everybody?
Last edited by sigh on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:31 pm

sigh wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 pm
There is something that incredibly annoys me in the way tech in this series works. The way that computers question your orders or suggesting different things when they are ordered simple tasks. It worked when discount Spock was in the brig, because it was to show she can out logic a computer, but when Saru wants a simple program that will compare him to other leaders, that seems idiotic. Or when they replicate a meal the voice interface comments at how nutritious it is what is even the purpose of that. I'm glad that in 10 years time they scraped all this and started building ships from cardboard.
What is this: A prequel to Star Trek, or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (before they figured out how to make the AIs happy 24/7)?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

sigh

Post by sigh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 am

Finished the series.
That Star Trek ending totally wasn't earned.
The moral federation willing to blow up the Klingon's home world is sure way better then the fascist Terran Empire.
Or from a more /pol/ perspective: It is okay to kill of people that have a different set of values and morals (nazis), It would be bad to kill some invaders (muslims) that want to destroy and kill them with no mercy. Nice lesson there.

Lorca being from the mirror universe would be a bigger surprise if he wasn't introduced as a cartoon villain to begin with. They soften him a bit latter, creating an interesting morally ambiguous character, but of course after the reveal he becomes the moustache twirling villain again. To fully make him irredeemable they filled his mouth with reasonable arguments right-wing propaganda and add some Drumpf reference to boot. His death inflicted by a cowards blow was a waste.
The funny thing is the writers seemed to realize this as well and replaced one morally ambiguous character with another, when discount Spock bring her adoptive mother's mirror version to the prime universe. They realized that they cannot have any character from the federation be the one to come up with the genocide plan, but chose Georgiou an evil psychopath the characters don't know anything about instead of a captain they served under because... because... I guess they wanted to show that discount Spock has some human emotions after all.

It's logical to genocide our invaders home planet, when they are going to destroy the Sol system, because we are defending ourselves against annihilation? WHAT? Sarek You had a stroke? Like do you think that this will stop them ? They will destroy Earth out of revenge. It can even be the key to their unification. Oh wait a second it did, L'Rell ended the war by threatening all of them with a shiny tablet. Like there is no one that would stop her, nothing that anyone would say, no technology to counter her, like anyone would believe her bluff. This was really dumb.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Current Year Trek has an odd fascination with fucking over Klingons and blowing up planets. Very strange.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Current Year Trek has an odd fascination with fucking over Klingons and blowing up planets. Very strange.
STD was was a horrible mistake

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 am

This decade (this century?) is a fucking disgrace. Decades from now everyone is going to look back at today's crap pop culture footprint and shake their heads.
Guys like Linkara really have no right to shit on the '90s. Those "extreme" comics are Shakespeare compared to the crap being produced today.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 am

I pray for a future where people stop worshiping pop culture in general and Big Media dies and stops producing it. I like to think people are finally waking up to how bullshit the fiction industry is and stop bothering with it but capeshit is still selling out every time. This nonsense just isn't worth anyone's time anymore.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 pm

It's high time for the genre to go the way of the Western movie.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm

お前はもう死んでいる。