The Metal thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
User avatar
CIANIgger
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by CIANIgger » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 pm

I already listen to Amon Amarth. I never considered them deth metal despite those vocals. I spend way too much time listening to guitars in songs.
Fuck you Guest, just register already.

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 12552
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm

They are considered to be Melodic Death Metal, just not of the faggy current In Flames variety.
The ball is wild!

User avatar
Poonoo
Site Admin
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Poonoo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm
just not of the faggy current In Flames variety.
What the fuck happened to them? At Wacken I only saw them because I wanted to get a good spot for Ghost but they didn't play ANY of their old shit. Not a single fucking song (though I only saw half the set) only the crappy new pseudo-emo shit which is weird since at fucking Wacken you will have an audience who will like their old shit. It can't be that much of a commercial gain either since people still like Arch Enemy and they didn't veer too far away from that.
CIANIgger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 am
Can someone suggest a death metal band that isn't pretentious try-hard, avant-garde garbage?

Death before they made Human?

I still like Death even after that but I bought a Death shirt a while back and on the back it says "100% Pure Organic Metal". I didn't even notice it because on the front it just has the logo in red letters which is all I wanted but that is the most pretentious thing I have ever seen in metal and I used to read forums full of metal elitists. What, can you get a Death album at fucking wholefoods now?
No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.
- Socrates

User avatar
veris leta facies
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

CIANIgger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 am
Can someone suggest a death metal band that isn't pretentious try-hard, avant-garde garbage?
It's pretty subjective what exactly falls into pretentious try-hardism, but IMO this is far from it:

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. Deus vult!

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 12552
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Poonoo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm
just not of the faggy current In Flames variety.
What the fuck happened to them?
Jesper Strömblad being an alcoholic happened. Anders Fridén got more and more control of the band and he preferred to go into the faggy gay shit direction.
The ball is wild!

User avatar
Pope Corky III
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Pope Corky III » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm

>In Flames ever being good


Poonoo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am
Death before they made Leprosy?
FTFY.

I actually do like a fair bit of latter day Death material, especially Symbolic, but that's only because I have a special itch for amazing lead guitar playing. And despite pretty much everything after Leprosy being the exact opposite of what death metal is supposed to be, those albums have it. Plus...Gene Hoglan.

The ugly truth of the matter was around 1989, Chuck Schuldiner turned into the biggest soyboys ever. He stopped a show after maybe 2 songs because "the crowd was too violent for him." This resulted in a riot and probably fucked over extreme metal bookings in that area (Houston) for a cool minute.



Angelfire Memes wrote:
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm
If this goes much further we'll learn that Doge killed JFK.
But he was aiming for Jackie. The misogynist bastard.

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 12552
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Pope Corky III wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm
>In Flames ever being good
Whoa, easy there. I never said they were good at any moment in time. They just weren't as fucking shit as they are today. I've used them as a negative example for a reason and specifically mentioned their modern times to hammer the point home as to how shit something can get while still being considered Melodic Death Metal.

What I don't get and will never get is how some people get overly hung up on metal genre descriptions anyway. To an outsider they may seem super specific but they really aren't.

Considered Melodic Death Metal:


Actually great up until the super gay chorus.

Considered Metalcore:


Brutal and awesome all the way through.

What people think about when you say "Melodic Death Metal":


Brutal and awesome all the way through.

What people think about when you say "Metalcore":


Actually great up until the super gay chorus.


I don't think the genre descriptions in metal are all that precise tbqh famalam.
The ball is wild!

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 12552
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Just because, I'll post one of my favourite MDM songs:


Legit gives me chills. Great lyrics, one of the best melodies, heroic as fuck!
The ball is wild!

User avatar
Pope Corky III
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Pope Corky III » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:30 pm

The term/sub-genre melodic death metal has always annoyed me because there was melody in death metal from the very beginning. A music teacher (and a gay one at that) defined melody as a series of notes. Thats it. Whether it's singable or not by a group of people is completely irrelevant. Nonetheless, most melodic death metal is shit to my ears. Pretty much the only examples of said sub-genre I genuinely love are Slaughter of the Soul and Heartwork.
Angelfire Memes wrote:
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm
If this goes much further we'll learn that Doge killed JFK.
But he was aiming for Jackie. The misogynist bastard.

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 12552
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Music theory is overrated anyway. I once knew a guitarist, a pretty good one, who was completely retarded when it came to music theory. He insisted that dissonant melodies aren't melodies and that they can't possibly sound good by definition.
He'd also be the most anal idiot in jam sessions I've ever seen. You could play some riff and he'd tell you shit like "You can't play a C after that!" as if there was a musical law book which rules you're breaking, no matter if it sounded good or not.
The dude was wasted talent. Needless to say, he was a massive Dream Theatre fan. :lol:
The ball is wild!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Rapeculture and 1 guest