Video game music

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
wulfenlord

Re: Video game music

Post by wulfenlord » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Another set of entries I had to omit in the original posts in favour of the main entry, not because of a lack of quality, but because of too hard a decision:

Quake series

Megaman X series
SpoilerShow

Final Fantasy 9

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:33 pm

Pretty catchy.
I also want to spotlight the channel of a youtuber who makes jazz covers of vidya music, including this track:

Some of this tracks are good, others are meh.
Until some time ago he was subscribed to a lot of right wingers, but now those subscriptions have magically disappeared.

wulfenlord

Post by wulfenlord » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 am

Nice stuff. I have to admit, I never got into Soul Blazer, rather started directly with it's quasi-sequel, Illusion of Gaia. The japanese drama/romcom/bishi ending always struck me as an odd choice, but it was still brilliant and memorable.

Might & Magic 2 (SNES)
I also have to admit, when it comes to videogame fantasy lore, I am only a half-hearted sperg. I played the shit out of the M&M series (starting with this title on the SNES, then moving to 3-4-5 on the PC, also sinking dozens of hours into HOMM2 and possibly hundreds of hours into HOMM3, a feat which could later only be repeated by Battle for Wesnoth), but I cannot tell you anything about the story. Nothing. I did not care one bit about the gameworlds' lore, I simply fell in love with the gameplay. So I won't even try to read up on the companies or games history, because even if I did, it would not befit me to teach anyone about it - the music though is fucking awesome, and I have no inhibition to share it!

Just listen to the roaring fantasy tune done by Atsuhiro Motoyama for the port to Nintendo's console. Motoyama is also a member of the semi-famous Raizing/8ing company, working on titles like Bloody Roar, Umihara Kawase, and the
Krillin videogames.

Heroes of Might & Magic 4
If you thought the japanese did good shit, wait till you hear the Trio of Paul Romero, Rob King & Steve Baca (with additional sax+bagpipe performance by Paul James) - Romero/King/Baca are the de-facto house composers for the M&M-series, seeing as Ubisoft counted on their talent for many titles even after the subjection of 3DO, providing the music for the main entries 6 to 9, the Heroes parts 3 to 7 (with the exception of 6) and the spin-off titles Legends, Crusaders + Chronicles (though Dark Messiah was commisioned to the duo Sonic Syndicate + Cris Velasco because muh edgy demographic) - all three also worked on music for the EverQuest games.

I stopped playing HOMM after 3, because the pixel-art reached it's perfection there, I never warmed up to the THREE DEE GRUPHIX, but damnit, the soundtrack for 4 is simply gorgeous.

Bonus:
Stolen music by Russell Shaw (aka the composer bitch for Peter Molyneux). And yeah, technically it's not 'stolen', as both tunes are using the same celto/irish-soundlibrary, but fuck me, this is not good sport. Rather, it's a sign of 'I'm an uncreative shithead that can't compose under a deadline'. At least it's a step up from the sailor song in the first game.

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl muh'fugen bix nood

Whenever you feel down :3
SpoilerShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:53 pm

I know a better chanty.
wulfenlord wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 am
Nice stuff. I have to admit, I never got into Soul Blazer, rather started directly with it's quasi-sequel, Illusion of Gaia. The japanese drama/romcom/bishi ending always struck me as an odd choice, but it was still brilliant and memorable.
The ending makes more sense if you know that the story was written by a novelist who started her career with Star Trek slashfics.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:49 am

Might & Magic (the proper cRPGs) don't really have much in the way of lore. They do famously take place on a spaceship, though.
But really it's just a great dungeon crawl adventure of old where a big, complicated story was deemed unnecessary.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:34 am

Yeah, oldschool CRPGs were mostly about having the player find crazy shit like spaceships, ray guns and nuclear reactors.

Might & Magic gets especially weird if you cross-reference what little lore there is with the HoMM titles that share the same setting, mainly because the HoMM titles removed anything that's not fantasy.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:08 pm

HoMM just had Might & Magic in the name for brand recognition purposes. They have absolutely nothing in common, except for a fantasy setting. And not even that one is the same.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Sooner or later someone was going to post this, so it may as well be me:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:08 pm
HoMM just had Might & Magic in the name for brand recognition purposes. They have absolutely nothing in common, except for a fantasy setting. And not even that one is the same.
They occasionally had the same characters (aka characters with the same name), which gets bizarre if you find out that some evil prince from HoMM was an expert in fission engines or some shit like that.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Yeah, it's very arbitrary. NPCs in M&M are very rudimentary in the first place and there isn't much deep lore going about.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!