Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
ebin namefag

Re: Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Post by ebin namefag » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:55 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:57 pm
This brings back bad memories. I only saw one or two of these kinds of films to quickly realize Hong Kong cinema was dead.
Theres something up with this Accented Cinema guy.
This video is pretty normal but then I watched his once about the "American sequel to JTTW" and he's gets mad about how Guyanyin is some sexy guy who sucks white dick*. Now I'm seeing reccomendations for videos of his about "The Desexualization of Asian Men." Is this some ricecel channel masquerading as a movie review channel?

*In the JTTW video he also said "messing with peoples religion is not okay!" which is a funnny thing for a Chinaman to say. He then says that Guanyin is a motherly figure and that being attracted to her is wrong so he's gay.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
The secret is to stop thinking.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:49 am
I assume the big crossover here is autism.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:03 am

Must be very difficult to cope with being a 3 inch dick ricenigger. Born to be incel, destined to envy the white man, like sandniggers.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:43 pm

I'm currently watching through Chor Yuen's adaptations of Gu Long novels (basically these are martial arts movies with an emphasis on political/social maneuvering, deceit and murder.) They're good. Killer Clans was the first of his that I saw and I don't think I realized how prolific he was as a director. He's always given second billing compared to Chang Cheh, when people talk about Shaw Brothers movies. Or third billing, below Lau Kar-Leung. But it's very competent, thriller-fu film making. The martial arts is definitely more on the wuxia/fake magic side compared to 36th Chamber or Legendary Weapons of China, but we're talking about adaptations of wuxia novels in the first place. And there's still no CGI anywhere. Mostly just editing tricks and wire work.

First one I saw was Sentimental Swordsman. I enjoyed this quite a bit. Some of these stories can become a little overly complex. They're based on books, and in the process to film, it can be hard to deal with how the story gets compressed and character screen time reduced (relative to a book) so you don't have a chance to form a strong impression of each character. But this story is easy enough to follow. A guy is framed for crimes he didn't commit and manipulated for the benefit of the actual criminal. Through his friendship with another martial artist, he overcomes his opposition and identifies the real culprit: the "plum flower bandit."
SpoilerShow
"plum flower bandit" sounds like a code word for a rapist tbh
You can currently watch most of the Chor Yuen movies on youtube, but who knows how long they'll remain available:

Chor Yuen's movies should definitely be approached more as thrillers and films-as-storytelling, rather than because you want to see demonstrations of real martial art. Nobody during this time period could match the Shaws in terms of set design or costuming. Let's just ignore the little detail that these sets and costumes would be reused over and over and over in 100 Shaw pictures. :lol: But they're still very nice, regardless.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome