Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:06 pm

At least learning Japanese means you can read doujins.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 am

I don't think we've talked about Manhunt yet, John Woo's 2017 return to the Heroic Bloodshed genre for Netflix. As you can see from the video, he can still shoot crazy action but it's fucking ruined by the stupid tracer effect that makes it look like they're shooting flaming BBs at each other. I can't imagine that was his idea, so fuck whoever did that. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that will be it for Woo and gun movies. Hong Kong is hardcore Commie China now, so ultra-violent epics about criminal anti-heroes are basically illegal, and he's in his 70s I believe. He produced a Korean remake of A Better Tomorrow in 2011 that was ass, and seems bent on getting The Killer remade in America.

Still no special editions of Hard Target or Broken Arrow, two of the greatest action movies ever made.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:56 am

I hope this isn't the next step in action movie "evolution", having the guns fire lazor beams so that you can waste more money on special effects, and have more shit on the screen to appease an ever-dumber audience with a dazzling spectacle.

John might've also ripped off Dekaranger. They had that weird thing where every now and then, some slow-mo action would reveal that all the Sentai blaster shots are actually bullets so a monster or other character could then deflect/destroy it.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:31 am

They did it in Pirates of the Caribbean, too. Musket ball tracers were a thing back in the 1700s. Who knew?

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Fight starts at 4:02.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:14 pm

So that's the epic backstory of Ryu's random-ass "Crimson Hawk Ranger" form?
Why does the Green Ranger get a gay power-up? And why is Evil Ryu a vampire?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:46 pm
Pinyin sucks balls. I'd say 98% of all Germans don't know how to pronounce the X, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Pinyin sucks massive schlong. I had to watch a video ABOUT pinyin to even understand that Cao Cao is two different fucking words! Two entirely different "Cao." Impossible to communicate via pinyin.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:21 am

Holy sheeat, I have to look that up asap :lol:

Ah, see?! The name's written 曹操. Not 曹曹, not 操操, and certainly not 操曹. Easy!
And now picture this in Pinyin.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:06 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:21 am
Holy sheeat, I have to look that up asap :lol:

Ah, see?! The name's written 曹操. Not 曹曹, not 操操, and certainly not 操曹. Easy!
And now picture this in Pinyin.
Yeah, in Pinyin it's:

Cao Cao

What does this mean? How would you pronounce this? Obviously not "cow cow" but "tsao tsao" is also wrong. Because the first "tsao" is a different "tsao" from the second "tsao." Do you understand? It is very simple! They are different words that just happen to look exactly identical in english and only sound subtly different when spoken. The accent is placed differently and therefore they are different words. So the Cao family name is a different word from the "Cao" that is that wily Ahman's actual name.

Likewise, "Lu Bu." The first u in "Lu" is a different sound entirely than the u in "Bu." So you would not say "Loo Boo" but something closer to "Lyoo Boo" (this is also wrong btw, because I don't speak mandarin.)

Wade-Giles is closer to the phonetic pronunciation sometimes, but it's also shit. You end up with names that look hilarious in english and still sometimes fail to communicate how they're pronounced. I believe Li Kuei is spelled Li Kwei in Wade-Giles.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:23 pm

The fuckers had paper before anyone else and couldn't even come up with a reasonable way to write their shit language in all that time.
Why all that shit when humans are really only able to make a few dozen sounds anyway?

And the whole "It's different pronunciations but very subtle" is the biggest pile of bullshit ever. You can barely travel a hundred miles in most nations without people pronouncing stuff a bit differently. A language so reliant on a vocal having six different meanings based on minute differences in inflection is bound to fail.

If I travel for a few hours, or say two days by horse, suddenly every "ch" is pronounced as a "k" or every "o" as an "ö" or every "st" and "sp" as they are, instead of as "scht" and "schp" as anywhere else in Germany.
Now imagine that those differences wouldn't just make it a local accent to you but mean something entirely different.

It's a shit system even a retard on a donkey travelling to the next village would notice to be confusing.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!