Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Hong Kong Cinema/Martial Arts Films: Big Fight in Little Corona

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 pm

Every scene can only be improved with less camera shaking. Except for scenes involving earthquakes and flight turbulences I guess.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 am

The Raid movies are gay as fuck. Is there anything more retarded than ten minute fight scenes where the hero gets pummeled by hundreds of punches and kicks, or stabbed 80 times, then just shrugs it off and moves on to another fight scene? People bitch about Steven Seagal but at least his fights actually end.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:23 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 am
That scene could do with less camera shaking.
Mile 22 might have the worst shaky cam in any movie ever.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 am

Poonoo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:11 am

After Christmas I had some vouchers as gifts so I got some Asian Martial Arts DVDs and gave this one a shot. I need to see the original, you don't see movies like this played in theatres anymore outside of John Wick (but it's not the same) and that's a damn shame. Fuck capeshit.
The Raid 1 was much better than the second film. The first Raid has a more believable setup. Credibility is a big problem in a lot of martial arts films and most martial arts films work hard to generate so much goodwill with the choreography and action that you overlook how implausible they can be. But The Raid 1 isn't too bad. There's a plausible reason for why the main characters stop using guns shortly into the film. When weapons are available, characters do use them. It's not as ridiculous as some of the older kung-fu movies, where the main character fights spears and swords using his Invincible Unbroken Iron Monkey Body Kung Fu or whatever.

Some of the period films like 36th Chamber are somewhat believable as well, since peasants and monks weren't supposed to walk around with massive weapons of war. That said, San Te uses a weapon in that film's finale, but carries it semi-concealed in a shoulder bag.

I recently bought Come Drink With Me and I do recommend that film if you want to see a movie well ahead of its time. It was the great-grandfather of all those Wuxia films like Hero, Crouching Tiger or House of Flying Daggers. But Wuxia isn't quite the same as kung fu. It's more fantasy. Dynasty Warriors is basically Wuxia in video game form.

I've been watching quite a few shaw films recently and I keep coming back to Five Venoms as one of the best. You've probably already seen Thai martial arts film Ong-Bak, right? If you like good action, the action is fantastic and the story isn't terrible (so long as you're not watching dubbed.)

Of the amerifat martial arts films not involving Bruce Lee, Kickboxer is probably my favorite. It's the least shitty of Van Damme's movies. Story is shameful but the action is solid.

RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 am
The Raid movies are gay as fuck. Is there anything more retarded than ten minute fight scenes where the hero gets pummeled by hundreds of punches and kicks, or stabbed 80 times, then just shrugs it off and moves on to another fight scene?
a) fucking guestposters
b) nobody gets stabbed 80 times in kung fu movies and shrugs it off, except in specific really old Shaw films
c) you try beating a guy to death with just your fists when he's in top physical condition and knows how to take hits

The really implausible shit is when people start flying around or firing ki blasts. Basically all the stuff that DBZ stole.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:32 am

Beating somebody to death is fairly easy, actually. Shape matters little. The right hit to the head and you're out, then it's stomp city. That's why you shouldn't get into bar fights.
But why even argue that? It's a fucking movie. I don't think it breaks immersion in a fighting movie if dudes can take more of a beating than they would IRL.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 am

Van Damme's best action movie is Hard Target, where he ironically only throws like three kicks.

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game is better than that faggy Raid shit. Buncha homos shouting "kaadu kaadu" while pretending to be elephants.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 am
Of the amerifat martial arts films not involving Bruce Lee
Speaking of which, other than Enter The Dragon a lot of his older films are pretty dated. They drag on with some mundane plot and other than Bruce himself who is charismatic as fuck the other actors are usually god awful and not in a "so bad it's good" way. It's straight up jarring, it's like some shitty indie film spending 95% of it's budget on a Hollywood actor who knows what they are doing. They all had their moments like the fight with Chuck Norris but Bruce Lee was finding his feet and he didn't start his prime film making until Enter The Dragon which he was building towards.

It's a shame he died, Game of Death was looking really good:

We really only saw the beginning of him in his prime, the rest of the 70s would have produced some amazing Kung Fu films by him as he got more ambitious and tried new things.
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 am
The Raid 1 was much better than the second film.
I figured that since I hear way more people talk about that one than the second.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:37 am

Same thing with Brandon. He was super charismatic in Showdown In Little Tokyo, did great action scenes in Rapid Fire and Legacy of Rage, then finally put it all together in The Crow just to die.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:13 am

I don't watch Bruce Lee movies except for Enter the Dragon. I already know that's far and away his best. He was a phenomenal martial artist and athlete, but he needed more time to mature and that was sadly denied him. Some people just die too soon, or circumstances remove them from the life situation where they generated their best art.

Then you have guys like Jackie Chan who have been in everything from phenomenal action showstoppers (Police Story, Drunken Master) to absolute piles of shit (the new stuff he makes mostly all qualifies.)

Tony Jaa was in a few good movies, but Ong-Bak is still his best and it's a bit sad he never had a movie outside of that where he got the director, crew and budget he deserved. The Protector has some great action scenes, but the story fucking blows.
RAPEMAN wrote: