Star Dreck

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Dreck

Post by Rushy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 pm
Not everything has to be taken for 100% established lore all the fucking time.
That's why it's so fucking hilarious to watch DW
the showrunner who as a teen in the 80s appeared on TV to nitpick the bad storytelling to the writers' face, basically took a sledgehammer to the lore simply to make it work with an obscure 1970s serial... a serial that was notably ignored one season after it aired by its own writer.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 am

I don't think that was really necessary for Doctor Who, though. It's not like it's got all that much backstory in the first place. The Doctor is a Time Lord, they can regenerate but have a different body after it, there's only one other left, The Master, who is evil, Sonic Screwdriver can do whatever bla bla let's to on adventures in time and space.
That's really all you need to know, innit?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:45 am

But muh intricate, decades-spanning Who lore...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:45 am
Retconned to shit all the time anyway. Even the doctor being an alien, a very basic element of the lore, is a retcon.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:05 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 am
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:45 am
Retconned to shit all the time anyway. Even the doctor being an alien, a very basic element of the lore, is a retcon.
Just like my Dragon Balls.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 am
I don't think that was really necessary for Doctor Who, though. It's not like it's got all that much backstory in the first place. The Doctor is a Time Lord, they can regenerate but have a different body after it, there's only one other left, The Master, who is evil, Sonic Screwdriver can do whatever bla bla let's to on adventures in time and space.
You'd think so, but the writers keep insisting on these very soapy and notoriously inconsistent storylines constantly redefining the Doctor over and over again.
The show celebrated its 50th anniversary by completely retconning the Doctor's whole war veteran arc(which had defined Chris Eccleston's version of the character) and having him now be seeking out his homeworld.

Cut to two years later when he finds his homeworld, uses them to resurrect his Mary Sue, and then fucks off.

Cut to five years later to present day, when his homeworld's blasted again in a hilariously matter of fact way.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Rushy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 am
You'd think so, but the writers keep insisting on these very soapy and notoriously inconsistent storylines constantly redefining the Doctor over and over again.
The show celebrated its 50th anniversary by completely retconning the Doctor's whole war veteran arc(which had defined Chris Eccleston's version of the character) and having him now be seeking out his homeworld.

Cut to two years later when he finds his homeworld, uses them to resurrect his Mary Sue, and then fucks off.

Cut to five years later to present day, when his homeworld's blasted again in a hilariously matter of fact way.
I saw you in Brad’s comments you goofy ass bitch.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Finished watching The Changeling. It's hilarious that Roddenberry thought "yeah, this'll be the first Star Trek motion picture"
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

I kinda liked that episode. I feel like TOS doesn't have nearly as many AI episodes as it has Proto-Q episodes.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm
I kinda liked that episode. I feel like TOS doesn't have nearly as many AI episodes as it has Proto-Q episodes.
Yeah, I got quite the shock when I found out that the dude playing Apollo in one of those reprised the part 40-odd years later in a fan film.

Also, strong possibility that Picard actually won't be killed off? Of course it could just be misdirection.
Kugelfisch wrote: