Weebshit Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Re: Weebshit Thread

Post by Old Black Man » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 pm

I hope you’re right Cuck, I really hope you’re right.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm
CuckTurdginson wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:13 pm
I think they're not even dubbing One Piece anymore - there's no announcements on resuming their dubbing. And Funi's dead - so I wouldn't be shocked if Crunchyroll wants to go in a different direction.
The hip new thing is getting those episodes out as close to the Japanese release as possible, and that's just way easier with subs.
That + simulcasting, which again is only possible with subs.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:42 pm

That has been Crunchyroll's model for a while. I suppose dubbing is mostly obselete barring Vidya at this point anyway.
ebin namefag wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 am
I don't know when they divorced I just know that it's Brad's fault.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 pm

Back in the days of Godzilla (original,) dubbing was seen as the "more respectful" and higher-profile way to adapt a foreign film. Because people back in those days didn't like to read subtitles, and so the movie would play to larger audiences, likely get more business... And it cost more to dub with actors, so investing the time and money showed the studio's commitment to the film reaching an overseas audience.

But that has all changed and the world hasn't been that way for a long time. Original language is now seen as the only way to properly appreciate foreign films. As much as Marzgunt would like to pretend otherwise, dubbing usually results in an inferior product compared to the original. Nuances in voice work either can't be replicated in another language or won't be. And the localization team might insert their own political bent into the story. Sub jobs can still modify the original intent, as we have seen, but at least the OG audio is *right there* for comparison, IF you speak Japanese or know how to use translation software.

Original language + sub is and has always been the cheaper alternative too, so now that it's also considered more faithful/prestigious and simulcasting has taken off (wouldn't have been possible in the early/pre internet eras,) it only makes sense to move away from dub jobs.

Dubbing has its uses for video games (because you can't easily read while playing an action game,) but that's about it.

Edit: Even with vidya, it's totally pointless to dub audio on rpgs or strategy games.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:11 pm

The only time I was yearning for a dub was while playing some shmup game that believed it didn't need dedicated cutscene sections and just dumped all the lore and exposition onto you while you're dodging bullets.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 pm

If someone told me they only wanted to watch an Ozu, Kobayashi, Bresson, etc movie dubbed - I would probably call them a faggot. But if its weebshit sometimes I'm just lazy, frankly.
ebin namefag wrote:

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:14 pm

CuckTurdginson wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 pm
If someone told me they only wanted to watch an Ozu, Kobayashi, Bresson, etc movie dubbed - I would probably call them a faggot. But if its weebshit sometimes I'm just lazy, frankly.
Agreed. Also regarding Crunchyroll the way some people worded it made it sound like Funimation absorbed them, losing their own name in the process. That’s not good if true, I wanted them all to lose their jobs. I know I saw Cherami Leigh’s name on something recently that was recent. Although I have been noticing that I’m seeing a lot less people with massive resumes on more recent dubs, Spy x Family’s cast for example.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

CuckTurdginson

Post by CuckTurdginson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 pm

I doubt that - Marchi's worked about as much as Vic - Sabat's still doing stuff, but its slowing down - Shitheel was unemployable before - so I doubt this helped. Rial's done a decent amount - but not much.
ebin namefag wrote:

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 am

CuckTurdginson wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:13 pm
Old Black Man wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am
CuckTurdginson wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:25 am
Well, yeah - the cuntimation old guard are mostly unemployed now. :lol:
Good, hopefully they can’t milk Dragon Ball much longer. I know they’ve still got Super to finish and that movie, but once those are done they’re hopefully sunk.
I think they're not even dubbing One Piece anymore - there's no announcements on resuming their dubbing. And Funi's dead - so I wouldn't be shocked if Crunchyroll wants to go in a different direction.

Would love a reset that 86's all the filler - even if your archnemesis would probably be in it.

I could see them dubbing Daima - I think Toriyama completed it. But they can't last that much longer without ANY input from Toriyama. I think even GT he outlined an arc or two and did a little artwork.
I don't think Toriyama outlined an arc but he definitely did artwork for the first arc including Vegeta with a moustache and gave it the title of Dragon Ball GT.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 pm

So I watched a furry animu. No, not this Beastars thing (though I might get to that), but the goddamn Studio Trigger one:

BNA: Brand New Anime

(The soundtrack's pretty cool, actually)

Now you might be fooled this is just some furry animu, but the truth is much different if you have a galaxy brain like myself and can read between the lines. Just get a load of this premise:
A Nip waifu finds herself turned into a furry, and after being on the run from Right-Wing Death Squads she finally reaches the safe haven of Furry Town.
Unfortunately for her she has to quickly realize that the main issue with living in a town full of furries is that you're living in a town full of furries. Especially the unique and wonderful peculiarities of furry culture often confuse her.

Tell me you made an animu about niggas without telling me you made an animu about niggas, Trigger-kun.
It's even more obvious with how the furries spent most of their time in human form, for even niggas know they can't be all nigga, all the time.

Overall liked the animu. It thankfully avoids this trite "herbivores vs carnivores" shit that comes as a standard-issue plot for "Current Year, but everyone's a furry" stories. The fuck does that even work? How do you even get to a human-like society if half of the population used to literally eat the other half?
There's none of this here. Instead Studio Trigger just did their usual absurd action nonsense and used the furryshit as an excuse for crazy character designs.

The furry factor isn't even all that big, anyways. As I mentioned most furries spent most of their time as humans, and their furry forms avoid that typical demented furry look that lets you know the artist drew it with one hand.
Now the main character is a furry all the time (since she lacks experience to suppress her inner nigga), but she's effectively right between a regular kemonomimi and Felicia from Darkstalkers. Really her only issue is that her chest is flat as a board, which makes her too androgynous for a comfortable boner.
Now Marie on the other hand I'd smash in any form.
Best GirlShow
So does anyone have experience with Beastars?
And while we're at recommendations, has anyone heard of Dragon Pilot? It looks like it's for kids, but apparently it's Sky Girls (aka moeblob NGE) with vore, which sounds pretty hot, actually.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette