Star Dreck

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Dreck

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm
I think the biggest takeaway with Star Trek Picard is a lot of people got fooled by Patrick Stewart's British accent. They hear an accent from the UK and think instantly that the person speaking is refined, composed, intellectual, and compassionate.
Speaking as someone from the UK, a lot of our countrymen are similarly fooled. Not by our accents generally (few people think Michael Caine or Sean Bean are highly refined and intelligent) but by guys like Patrick Stewart and their Received Pronunciation. That's why they learn it. By learning to speak in a similar fashion to the Queen people automatically assume you have the same refinement, breeding, class and intelligence as the Queen. That's why all these classically trained actors do it.

If Patrick Stewart spoke in his native Yorkshire accent (i.e. similarly to Sean Bean) he'd be a lot less successful
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm
BenComicGraphics wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm
I think the biggest takeaway with Star Trek Picard is a lot of people got fooled by Patrick Stewart's British accent. They hear an accent from the UK and think instantly that the person speaking is refined, composed, intellectual, and compassionate.
Speaking as someone from the UK, a lot of our countrymen are similarly fooled. Not by our accents generally (few people think Michael Caine or Sean Bean are highly refined and intelligent) but by guys like Patrick Stewart and their Received Pronunciation. That's why they learn it. By learning to speak in a similar fashion to the Queen people automatically assume you have the same refinement, breeding, class and intelligence as the Queen. That's why all these classically trained actors do it.

If Patrick Stewart spoke in his native Yorkshire accent (i.e. similarly to Sean Bean) he'd be a lot less successful
Didn't Sean Bean make a name for himself playing a bootstrapped military man with a dirt poor background that made a habit of threatening commanding officers with stiff upperclass accents with vague bodily harm?

Also, I am remembering more accents. People thought Malcolm McDowell is refined. I was like "Wasn't his accent being incredibly crass the point?" The only actor I can think of that has anything approaching a refined upbringing and lineage is probably Christopher Lee.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm
Didn't Sean Bean make a name for himself playing a bootstrapped military man with a dirt poor background that made a habit of threatening commanding officers with stiff upperclass accents with vague bodily harm?
If you're referring to Sharpe, yeah that was his breakout character. Then he did RP himself for GoldenEye which I didn't like, actually. I prefer Bean as a gruff Yorkshireman.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm
BenComicGraphics wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm
If you're referring to Sharpe, yeah that was his breakout character. Then he did RP himself for GoldenEye which I didn't like, actually. I prefer Bean as a gruff Yorkshireman.
Every episode's the same! Some upperclass British officer is doing stupid/illegal shit and Sharpe shows up, marches in, shows up the officer, makes a vague threat about killing the officer because Wellington likes him or some shit, British officer shits bricks and lets Sharpe do that.

I tapped out on that quick. Liam Neeson's the one I don't get. I was watching a Neeson movie with a British friend and my friend went "You guys think he sounds smart? Listen to him! He sounds like he should be unloading fish off a boat!"

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 pm

It has also a lot to do with how they carry themselves. Patrick Steward is good at pretending to be a posh git. His career further makes it easy for him to pull it off. All most people know about him is that he was Picard, a highly educated and cultured man, and that he was a Shakespeare actor.
Go ask people where they think he lives. Most would imagine some classy estate somewhere in England. That the actual man is a L.A. faggot through and through is lost on them.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 pm
Go ask people where they think he lives. Most would imagine some classy estate somewhere in England. That the actual man is a L.A. faggot through and through is lost on them.
He lives in both countries.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Yeah yeah, as they all do. Guy likely has more houses than I have fingers. The point is that he's a full blown Beverly Hills twat. Dude isn't sitting around, sipping Earl Grey, listening to classic music while flipping through an art book. He's driving dirt buggies in Nevada in the morning, cruises around Sunset Blvd. in the afternoon and fucks twelve year old boys with Pedowood executives in a club's private room at night on coke.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:24 pm

I want to watch Liam Nii-san kill niggers.

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 pm
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Yeah yeah, as they all do. Guy likely has more houses than I have fingers. The point is that he's a full blown Beverly Hills twat. Dude isn't sitting around, sipping Earl Grey, listening to classic music while flipping through an art book. He's driving dirt buggies in Nevada in the morning, cruises around Sunset Blvd. in the afternoon and fucks twelve year old boys with Pedowood executives in a club's private room at night on coke.
When it comes to what entertains Stewart in private, it is driving dune buggies, making crass fart jokes and hitting on people that could be his grand kids.

Congrats, he's the British equivalent of a redneck.

Imagine you teach a Carolina redneck the mid Atlantic accent and you will see how retarded people are for thinking accents equals intelligence

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Americans always had xenophilic tendencies. If they have an intelligible foreign accent, we fawn over their exoticism, for the most part. Typically, we fall for Europeans.

But think about all the idiots in the 60s that fell for any random Asian asshole that claimed themselves a guru or spiritual leader. Hari Krishna, Moonies, Subud, etc. These boomers turned their noses up at their parents' religion and thought they were so hip for doing so.

Some people will always be like this.
お前はもう死んでいる。