The Anthem disaster

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

The Anthem disaster

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:25 pm

There's an interesting, albeit long, article by Schreier about the development process of Anthem and what a fucking mess it was that led to the disappointing end product: http://archive.is/jPKaV

The main takeaway is that they didn't know what they wanted to make, that the game changed a lot during development but for years never had a clear vision.
Loads of people left BioWare, resources between the three BioWare studios were juggled, creating even more of a mess and lack of vision.
Frostbite was a pain in the ass to work with.
The current version of Anthem was made in the last 12 to 18 months. Destiny was a forbidden word in the office.
BioWare leadership thought until the very end that stuff will just magically work out because that's supposedly how it works at BioWare. Didn't work for ME:Andromeda either.
The only fault EA had is forcing Frostbite on all it's studios and having the special Frostbite help team manly focused on helping out the studio that makes FIFA, taking time away for them to help other studios that struggled with the engine.

A really interesting read and especially concerning in how similar it is to the development of Destiny 1&2.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Re: The Anthem disaster

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:59 pm

another mcdonalds game onto the graveyard
there summed it up

he needed 10k words to say that

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:09 pm

>How a Sekiro Easy Mode Could Work
You know I'm shit at games too but I didn't make them my career.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:25 pm

The current version of Anthem was made in the last 12 to 18 months.
Of course it was. :lol: That's what happens when you try to chase a fucking trend.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm not convinced Bioware ever made a good game.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 pm
I'm not convinced Bioware ever made a good game.
Depends what you mean by good.

KotoR 1 provided the template for the superior KotoR 2.

Mass Effect 1 was pretty solid.

Jade Empire was fun.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:10 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:24 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:

The current version of Anthem was made in the last 12 to 18 months.
Of course it was. :lol: That's what happens when you try to chase a fucking trend.
They didn't even do that. They were just completely clueless as to what kind of game to make it for YEARS.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Which is about the dumbest possible way to go about developing any game, let alone a multi-million dollar project. Unless you just want to faff around for fun I guess.

Seeing how infected Bioware has become with SJWs, and looking at horror stories from SJW cartoon studios, I can only assume that the supervisors and managers were too busy posting on twitter and tumblr.
Kugelfisch wrote:
The only fault EA had is forcing Frostbite on all it's studios and having the special Frostbite help team manly focused on helping out the studio that makes FIFA, taking time away for them to help other studios that struggled with the engine.
It's like having a single help team is kind of dumb for a publisher of their size, especially if one of their biggest cash cows demands an annual release.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm

EA doesn't care and is impervious to consequences.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:25 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
It's like having a single help team is kind of dumb for a publisher of their size, especially if one of their biggest cash cows demands an annual release.
There's no saying how big that team is. I think it's fair to assume that them prioritizing FIFA and Madden over some dumpster fire in the making that doesn't even have a basic concept for over four years was a good call by EA.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!