The Anthem disaster

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: The Anthem disaster

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 pm

I know, right? Ubisoft is this magical publisher capable of finding new ways to ruin everything. It's quite the feat these days, when ruining everything seems to be the norm.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am

The new EDF actually looks good and people are suggesting it as an alternative to shitty Anthem.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:01 pm

That franchise has always been superior to most third-person shooters, for it knows that people want to have fun. EDF! EDF!
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

I feel like the series needs much tighter gameplay. Imagine something with the scope and length of EDF but the depth of Halo. That's where I think EDF suffers. Balancing is nonexistent and enemies have functionally no AI in EDF. I'd rather they cut down SLIGHTLY on the enemy density and give the enemies some AI, balance the gameplay better and provide a smoother progression curve.

That said, EDF is one of those series everyone should try. It's the shooter equivalent of a musou game, except it's closer to the really early musou games that were extremely unpolished. Musou games now have a lot more of those elements I was talking about.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:57 pm

I'd say EDF is more difficult, since typical Musou mooks barely try to hit you on lower difficulty settings whereas stuff like EDF's jumping spiders can rack in impressive DPS if you let their numbers grow too fast. Dialogue is also cheesy like in early Musous, also fully intentional and not as the result of quality voice acting.

The AI could see an improvement with the new game's giant frog soldiers, which might just be the first enemy in the series that ought to have some semblance of sentience and intelligence.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm
I feel like the series needs much tighter gameplay. Imagine something with the scope and length of EDF but the depth of Halo. That's where I think EDF suffers. Balancing is nonexistent and enemies have functionally no AI in EDF. I'd rather they cut down SLIGHTLY on the enemy density and give the enemies some AI, balance the gameplay better and provide a smoother progression curve.

That said, EDF is one of those series everyone should try. It's the shooter equivalent of a musou game, except it's closer to the really early musou games that were extremely unpolished. Musou games now have a lot more of those elements I was talking about.
I disagree with all of that. It's niche, a cult classic and part of it's oddity is what makes it's charm. MonHun did what you suggested and we got World, which wasn't terrible and many of the changes were welcome but it was ultimately disappointing with it's lack of kahntent and actual challenge.
I'd much rather have EDF stay it's weird little own thing that inaccessible to many people than for it to get streamlined too much.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

I disagree with all of that. It's niche, a cult classic and part of it's oddity is what makes it's charm. MonHun did what you suggested and we got World, which wasn't terrible and many of the changes were welcome but it was ultimately disappointing with it's lack of kahntent and actual challenge.
I'd much rather have EDF stay it's weird little own thing that inaccessible to many people than for it to get streamlined too much.
My issue isn't so much accessibility as depth. I feel like EDF has the depth of a kiddie pool for reasons mentioned previously. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as good as it should be when you consider all the little loving touches that go into the games. You can't bring many guns with you, can't swap to new guns mid-mission + other stuff I mentioned. So the strategy is very limited in EDF. You have what you bring with you and whatever you bring with you has infinite ammo anyway, so you're just managing cooldown aka reload timer. You're not even managing multiple cooldowns at once (most times) because you can only equip one gun at a time (the other one is in hammerspace on your back) and I THINK the gun you aren't using doesn't reload until you swap to it. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while.

I don't want them to take away stuff from EDF. I want them to add more depth and options.

Oh, and controls for vehicles are unforgivable and have no reason to be as awful as they are.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm

That's that charm I'm talking about. It's got an arcadey feel in it's simplicity and clunkiness. It's got the same vibes something like Blast Corps has.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 pm

The only character whose inactive weapon can reload is the Wing Diver, which lets you fire non-stop if you know what you're doing.

For the other characters, the reload bar fills as long as you have the weapon equipped. Of optimal DPS, you want to switch back to that other weapon between shots of your current weapon, reloading bit by bit. This even counts at least partially towards the active gun's cooldown. So what I like to do for missions involving few long-range targets as the Ranger is to just take two sniper rifles (preferrably the same type), and then spend basically the entire mission with the fire button held down while I just switch back and forth between the rifles. Looks kinda like double-tapping the rifle or something.

I'm usually not a fan of shooty games that limit you to a "realistic" 2-gun-layout, but I think that's just the right amount of weapons for this type of game. It's fast, arcade-y, and you don't have to think about which button switches to which weapon since you only have two.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm a wing diver main. The new wing diver equivalent in iron rain looks pretty dope.

I enjoyed EDF 2017, but I get a lot more fun out of the series when I can meme with my wing diver and fly around the map. Walking is for plebs.
RAPEMAN wrote: