Fallout 76- Bethesda Buggalooooo

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Fallout 76- Bethesda Buggalooooo

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 am

I played Oblivion for the first time in years (was curious if I remembered as much as I thought I might) and have to conclude it's better than Skyrim in almost every way. Not GOOD but definitely better.

-actual quests
-dungeons use some similar tilesets but they're all different and have different enemies in them
-finding quests is more complicated. you often have to gain an NPC's trust and learn about the quest via conversation
-main story isn't so fucking boring (the first major event has you going into an oblivion gate and fighting demons inside Hell, compared to a scripted fight against a shitty dragon with garbage-fire AI)
-nobody even debates about the guild quests being better in Oblivion
-character classes that force you to actually stick to what you want to be good at
-better representation of the different races, since the story isn't nearly so fucking nord-heavy and talos-worshiping
-MUCH better tutorial, even though it's still bad
-lockpicking is harder
-speech mechanic gives you a reason to talk to people and hides secrets behind hidden trust checks. You can always bribe if you don't want to play the minigame
-there's actually a risk-reward to stealing shit since the guards will take it ALL the first time you fuck up, and you're not gifted Thanehood for no reason. So no get out of jail card for you. But stuff you can steal is often better/worth more than what you can find.

The world map is shit but it is in Skyrim as well. Combat is shit but Skyrim's isn't much better. NPCs are ugly but they're worse in Morrowind so who gives a shit. Magic is clunkier to use but you can equip a spell along with sword and shield which you can't do in skyrim. Scaling world still sucks ass but Skyrim's is much worse.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 am

Oblivion can actually work as an RPG. Skyrim can't. Oblivion's major flaws stemmed from coming after Daggerfall and Morrowind. For Morrowind people understood the scaling down from Daggerfall because it was ridiculous and you wouldn't expect that to be replicated in a fully 3D game. But people expected Oblivion to build upon that, not scale shit down even more.
Skyrim set into stone that it wasn't an accident but a trend the series would follow. Very disappointing how it was a mega seller and is still beloved when it was fucking shit right from the start. It being such a success guarantees that no good TES will ever be made again.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:21 am

Oh and Oblivion truly does get better with mods and has lots of really good quests and actual role playing opportunities. Especially the Dark Brotherhood line is actually fantastic.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:33 am

Oblivion also has a level scaling problem which becomes obvious if you build for non-combat or you don't invest wisely. You can reach a point where enemy damage levels past you and the game becomes very hard to beat. A very typical Bugthesda problem in their games, actually. I had this happen recently to me in Fallout New Vegas when the legion assassins suddenly started spawning all over my ass, so it's not unique to bethesda either. It's why I always take finesse and toughness (twice) in New Vegas. I had this happen to me in Fallout 4 as well when I briefly was playing that shit. Fallout 4 is just Skyrim with guns btw.

Oblivion has many issues but coming back to it and playing it for a bit? I honestly want to play more. It didn't make me want to play skyrim at all. I hope I never play skyrim again.

Like I said, nobody even tries to argue about the quests. Skyrim is all fetchquests into draugr dens that look identical. Oblivion has the dark brotherhood, thieves' guild, mages' guild and other actually interesting shit happening.

You know the only part of Skyrim I kind of enjoy? Solstheim from the dlc. Dawnguard was awful, but Solstheim had a little bit of personality... But only because it's a fucking morrowind reference!
RAPEMAN wrote:

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 am

I've been away from actual gaming for such a long time but I finally installed New Vegas and some notable mods. Now I realized Perception isn't a very good stat even though it was quite essential in FO1/2. Modern video games hurt my brain.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:06 am

I like perception. But you can just recruit Eddie and get a perception boost that way. I mostly use it to avoid cazadores and other dangerous enemies. Cazadores have a very distinctive movement profile you can identify just based on the way the red triangle on your compass jukes around. So with high perception, you'll be able to avoid cazadores and other fast, dangerous enemies before they even have a chance to see you.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 am
Skyrim set into stone that it wasn't an accident but a trend the series would follow. Very disappointing how it was a mega seller and is still beloved when it was fucking shit right from the start. It being such a success guarantees that no good TES will ever be made again.
I fear we can't even hope for a "spiritual successor" because any indie dev team would be stupid to not base their project on Skyrim as opposed to Morrowind or Oblivion.

Face it, guys. TES is ruined.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:13 pm

That franchise is truly doomed. The next TES will still use the same broken engine, made by the same clowns that made Fallout 4 and 76. It won't be such a train wreck as 76 was and I wouldn't be surprised if people will love it. I just already know that I'll very likely hate it since the best possible outcome is that it's going to be like Skyrim, which was shit in every way.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm

The only part of skyrim I enjoyed was solstheim's island, which is just a morrowind reference anyway. But even that dlc is ruined by all the shitty tentacle library dungeons you have to do for Mara.
RAPEMAN wrote:

GitGud
Quality Poster

Post by GitGud » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pm

I still hope they rush the game out. And in the comments of an Fallout video someone sayed that it would be funny if the would use the map of fallout 76 fo the next "true" Fallout. THAT would be big Kino
I will return when i the times are dire.
"I had this nurse yesterday who was super careful giving me morphine and she sais "this could kill 4 of me lols"

That was fun.
-Auli