Telltale Games Shutting Down

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Osterzone

Re: Telltale Games Shutting Down

Post by Osterzone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 am

So the last half is going to get the Duke Nukem Forever treatment. Way to go, guys.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 am

Hi, failed company here. We want to tell you that we finally got our shit together and will release Episode 2 or our sole success now. Some autists with money said they wanted to go broke and claimed interest in fueling our dumpster fire so we'll take the most gullible for a ride. Stay tuned, five people who give a fuck.

Hardly anyone but them getting BTFO, autism cat.
Guest wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Should have named her Clam.
Underrated post.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Old Black Man

Post by Old Black Man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 am

Rapeculture wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:53 am
Telltale are basically the polar opposite of a game like RE4. RE4 has a trash (funny) story but godlike gameplay. I was playing that just today and it's timeless. A thing of fucking beauty that ages like a fine wine. Telltale will sell you a pile of cow manure on a gold-encrusted platter and call it a steak. Whereas RE4 is that steak that arrives at your table with no frills but is cooked perfectly to your tastes and seasoned beautifully.
So fucking true. RE4 is so goddamn good that it saved the Resident Evil series from dying out. People decry RE4 as being the point at which the series starting moving into action territory, but they forget that sales were slipping pretty bad around the time of RE3/Code Veronica. People wouldn't have had their Outlast-with-weapons RE7 if it weren't for RE4. Just hoping the remake of 2 doesn't end up blowing goats now.
I adore RE4 and rightfully so. I love the classic games and will always prefer them, but 4 is a masterpiece of fun and doesn’t deserve flak just because Capcom fell into a creative rut with the formula. To me it was the right balance of action and horror, a sequel with a stronger emphasis on one big environment, puzzles, and less hoard enemy encounters is where 5 should have taken the series as opposed to what we got.

And agreed completely about 3 Rabid, that game is fantastic and deserves more love than it seems to get. Nemesis was the first time I ever encountered an enemy in a game that made me have to stop playing just to process its capabilities, this being during a random encounter.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am

Something else that's wonderful about RE4 is the level progression. It all kind of makes logical sense when you think about it. Logical sense in an RE game? It's more likely than you might think! But also, not having Umbrella keikaku memes in the game meant the developers were free to design around gameplay.
SpoilerShow
Consider:

The first place you visit is the town and that makes total sense because Leon is looking for the president's daughter who supposedly disappeared around that area.

The town is full of plagas bastardos, but you find the prez's bitch and you all run away with Token Spaniard. The villagers literally chase you into the castle, so it's not like you had a choice. It's an entire farming village of presumably thousands vs you. I think they only stop chasing you when you enter the castle because they know who the castellan is.

From the castle, you're mostly just trying to leave with Ashley. You solve puzzles and shit because you can't go out the way you came in, so you need to go through the castle. This part has some contrived puzzles but that's RE in general and it's still fun. In the castle, we see a lot of different variations on the plagas and the different tiers of the Los Illuminados cult. This castle is basically to the plaga cult what vatican city is to catholics.

Then you fall down the trap door and almost die, and end up in the sewers. Makes sense because the sewers are under the castle. The sewers eventually lead out to the mines which ALSO makes sense because we know the Plagas comes from fossils that were dug up out of the earth. So it makes sense Salazar is mining for more of them and the reason the villager enemy type returns (instead of cultists or soldiers) is because Salazar is using the ganados to mine more plagas. That's probably why they were enslaved in the first place. One assumes they also dig up ore and valuable minerals to sell so Saddler has more money for guns too. ALSO, this explains why some of the villagers have dynamite!

After this I think you get on a boat and go to an island, which seems like the most contrived level progression of the entire game. It's not terrible but I believe Leon is only going there because Ashley was flown there by a novistador? Or maybe something else happens. Don't recall. Anyway, the island is the least reasonable leap of logic since it's not connected to anything, but at least the level itself is fun and full of good scare moments. This is the Umbrella lab: Saddler Edition. Also the soldiers show up because this is where Saddler is training his army. Most of the plagas here have pretty decent weaponry and armor and it really shows that it's at least PLAUSIBLE his army could go to war on a small scale and do ok.

Anyway tl;dr RE4 is super good. People say the game's story is bad and cheesy and the cutscenes are, but the story itself and how shit is arranged makes a lot of sense even compared to the other good RE games.

And the story of RE5 would have been MUCH better if they had taken out all the Umbrella corporation bullshit. I mean, they're still using the fucking plagas! But no, capcom just had to bring in ouroboro-realis and a bunch of random b.o.w.s from previous games because raisins. The ouroboros virus looks fucking stupid too. The plagas were easy to understand and looked sick. Even the RE5 versions look fine.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm

One question though. Who the duck was Krauser supposed to be????
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Osterzone wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 am
So the last half is going to get the Duke Nukem Forever treatment. Way to go, guys.
Or they take some screenshots and make it a VN.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm
The answer to that is in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles for the Wii. I played it, but forgot all about it, it didn't leave that big of an impression on me.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Old Black Man

Post by Old Black Man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
Something else that's wonderful about RE4 is the level progression. It all kind of makes logical sense when you think about it. Logical sense in an RE game? It's more likely than you might think! But also, not having Umbrella keikaku memes in the game meant the developers were free to design around gameplay.
SpoilerShow
Consider:

The first place you visit is the town and that makes total sense because Leon is looking for the president's daughter who supposedly disappeared around that area.

The town is full of plagas bastardos, but you find the prez's bitch and you all run away with Token Spaniard. The villagers literally chase you into the castle, so it's not like you had a choice. It's an entire farming village of presumably thousands vs you. I think they only stop chasing you when you enter the castle because they know who the castellan is.

From the castle, you're mostly just trying to leave with Ashley. You solve puzzles and shit because you can't go out the way you came in, so you need to go through the castle. This part has some contrived puzzles but that's RE in general and it's still fun. In the castle, we see a lot of different variations on the plagas and the different tiers of the Los Illuminados cult. This castle is basically to the plaga cult what vatican city is to catholics.

Then you fall down the trap door and almost die, and end up in the sewers. Makes sense because the sewers are under the castle. The sewers eventually lead out to the mines which ALSO makes sense because we know the Plagas comes from fossils that were dug up out of the earth. So it makes sense Salazar is mining for more of them and the reason the villager enemy type returns (instead of cultists or soldiers) is because Salazar is using the ganados to mine more plagas. That's probably why they were enslaved in the first place. One assumes they also dig up ore and valuable minerals to sell so Saddler has more money for guns too. ALSO, this explains why some of the villagers have dynamite!

After this I think you get on a boat and go to an island, which seems like the most contrived level progression of the entire game. It's not terrible but I believe Leon is only going there because Ashley was flown there by a novistador? Or maybe something else happens. Don't recall. Anyway, the island is the least reasonable leap of logic since it's not connected to anything, but at least the level itself is fun and full of good scare moments. This is the Umbrella lab: Saddler Edition. Also the soldiers show up because this is where Saddler is training his army. Most of the plagas here have pretty decent weaponry and armor and it really shows that it's at least PLAUSIBLE his army could go to war on a small scale and do ok.

Anyway tl;dr RE4 is super good. People say the game's story is bad and cheesy and the cutscenes are, but the story itself and how shit is arranged makes a lot of sense even compared to the other good RE games.

And the story of RE5 would have been MUCH better if they had taken out all the Umbrella corporation bullshit. I mean, they're still using the fucking plagas! But no, capcom just had to bring in ouroboro-realis and a bunch of random b.o.w.s from previous games because raisins. The ouroboros virus looks fucking stupid too. The plagas were easy to understand and looked sick. Even the RE5 versions look fine.
I concur, that is an excellent synopsis.

Ugh I hate Ouroborus, to me it started the trend of what I refer to as “shit monsters” in the franchise. We went from really solid designs across the board to generic slimy ooze monsters after that. And I agree that the plagas are awesome, shame they didn’t do much with them after that.

The C Virus stuff from 6 had some cool ideas. I liked how the ganado analogue in that game would spontaneous mutate when different body parts were damaged and liked the chrysalis concept a lot. Shame it was in such a lackluster game, although I think 6 has some merits. Just not enough to make it shine.

My biggest gripe with 5 was how anticlimactic (((Wesker’s))) story ended. I think they blew their load by making him so OP and his entire plan felt rushed and half baked. I think 6 should have been his thing and not Carla’s forgettable ass.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Was RE6 the one that had the flesh transformer who turned from a man to a dog and then into a t-rex?
Rapeculture wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm
CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm
The answer to that is in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles for the Wii. I played it, but forgot all about it, it didn't leave that big of an impression on me.
Krauser is out there looking for Rugal.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Better episodic not-games like D4 will never be finished but some autistics are gonna fork over their autismbux for their lesbian nigger loli waifu. Okay.
Rapeculture wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 pm
Thank you! And speaking of visual novels, the only ones I ever bothered playing were the 3 Zero Escape games. All 3 had genuinely great puzzles, and the focus was clearly on the puzzles, not the deep plotz shit. I mean the deep plotz shit was there, but it was clearly just a framework for the puzzle stuff. I'm glad they at least made the stories intriguing anyway, even if they didn't always gel.
I got sick of 999, I kept fucking up getting muh flags and I had to redo puzzles over and over again and I kept forgetting the solutions. Dropped it. I read Ever 17 a few years beforehand so I'll just pretend like I know everything about it even if I don't. That writer loves to rip himself off.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:40 pm
Huh, I don't think those are pure VNs if they have actual gameplay. Guess they used the VN portions for stylistic and/or budget reasons.
I think some of the ports of 999 skip over the puzzles, like the iOS version.
Its not uncommon for VNs to have real gameplay. A lot of them are RPGs, some have minigames. VNDB counts fightan games with VN story modes in their database, like Blazblue.