CRPGs

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Complicity

Re: CRPGs

Post by Complicity » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm

I started to play this shit

So far i haven't stumbled upon the soy that permeated The Sinking City, but there's still time.
The main character can be a white man or a white woman and that's it

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 am
I decided to acquire (through torrenting) Pathfinder Kingmaker and, not being a pussy, tried it on the hardest difficulty. Then I found out that low CR monsters can, in fact, constantly crit against a level 2 fighter that has 25 AC. BULLSHIT.
A couple people have complained about inflated monster stats as compared to the tabletop version.
Also swarms. Swarm enemies are fucking nuts in this game.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:53 pm
I don't get what people find interesting about Divinity. The only fuckers I want to take along on an RPG like that is an army of skellingtons.
You don't like the lizardmen?
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Divinity 2 is really good, highly recommended. I couldn't get into kingmaker and I tried multiple times though.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:10 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:03 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:53 pm
I don't get what people find interesting about Divinity. The only fuckers I want to take along on an RPG like that is an army of skellingtons.
You don't like the lizardmen?
I just don't like modern turn-based, party-based CRPGs. There's something that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe because they always are like The Temple of Elemental Evil but worse. Or really like Goldbox games but much worse.
And even then for round-based CRPGs I usually prefer Roguelikes or Blobbers like Might & Magic.

Which brings me to the fact that I will check out Caves of Qud again. The devs have been changing and adding stuff weekly since the last time I've played and I want to check it out. It's also high time I finally play Neo Scavanger. Gotta get some Roguelike gameplay done before it's winter because I'll tackle part of my CRPG backlog then.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 am

There's just something odd about translating turn-based mechanics into real-time. It never looks as good as actual real-time, and could result in you "missing" a turn. I'm almost certain Baldur's Gate started this because of Diablo or something.
I think that first Blood Bowl game came with an optional real-time mode. Absolutely disgusting.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:41 pm

I prefer turn based combat to real-time in rpgs because I like to think about my next move. I know you can use a pause button, but that's an extra step. Also, I've found a lot of real-time combat systems in rpgs have trouble with pathing and it pisses me off incredibly when I see a character die because their model was wigging out when it should have been doing what I told it to. Turn-based usually means no pathing errors because all interactions between models are already plotted in a predetermined route and it's not possible for the model to fuck up while walking up to attack a kobold or whatever.

This complaint of mine only applies to party-based rpgs though. First-person rpgs in real-time are usually fine. I'm talking about the baldur's gate kinda shit, or KotoR. Man, I've been fucked up badly in KotoR by the combat making pathing mistakes, hesitating over commands for no reason or getting stuck on some shit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Real-time and party-based is always iffy, since the AI loves to spazz out.
Boulder's Gate and Kotor also have the special issue of trying to go for an "accurate" port of d20shit, instead of making up a combat system actually meant for real-time.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm

The Infinity engine games never were my cup of tea. I think in terms of strategic turn-based RPGs the Goldbox games are still the best out there. It's a shame many will never pick them up because they look really aged.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Real time can be okay if enemy encounter design is good and enemy AIs are robust enough. Games like modded/fixes BG, allegedly PoE and allegedly Bugfinder are the proof such thing can be possible. It's just, with super complicated systems like D&D, making such games is quite fucking hard and tricky (RTS games work because individual unit behavior is simple and ofc multiplayer).

Also, real time works better with trivial combat because it feels smooth/quick and looks good. That's why I don't blame games like Kotor or DA:O for the lack of depth, combat is meant to be just a cinematic experience rather than a tactical anything. Those games are not good example of how real time combat sucks imo.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 am
There's just something odd about translating turn-based mechanics into real-time. It never looks as good as actual real-time, and could result in you "missing" a turn. I'm almost certain Baldur's Gate started this because of Diablo or something.
I think that first Blood Bowl game came with an optional real-time mode. Absolutely disgusting.
Nah, BG's biggest inspiration is most likely Darklands.

BG is more like a pseudo turn based rules (initiatives and stuff) attached to a real time one, not the other way around. BG's weirdness comes from totally exploitable encounters and dumbfuck AIs.
On top of that, half the play testers complained about muh difficulty and they had to nerf everything as a result. Rule implementation itself isn't that bad compared to it's peers.

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm
The Infinity engine games never were my cup of tea. I think in terms of strategic turn-based RPGs the Goldbox games ToEE and KotC are still the best out there. It's a shame many DHI will never pick them up because they look really aged.
FTFY.
Complicity wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm
I started to play this shit
SpoilerShow
So far i haven't stumbled upon the soy that permeated The Sinking City, but there's still time.
The main character can be a white man or a white woman and that's it
Judging from some reviews, it seems this game has some serious issues (bugs and unfinished late game). They should fix shit otherwise wasted opportunity. InfraArcana is still the best Cthulululu game, probably.