Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm
But M&M6 (and later) went with 4 party members though. I guess it's situational after all.
It's the last game of the series you can call good as well so there's that.
AdorableOtter wrote:
Btw, I kinda tried to play M&M 3-4-5 but gave up on character creation screen because learning new stuff hurts my brain.
You should've started with 1 anyway.
There, you can use my map of Sorpigal for an easier start. :D
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Btw, I kinda tried to play M&M 3-4-5 but gave up on character creation screen because learning new stuff hurts my brain. Another series I'm interested in but can't dive into for the same reason is Realms or Arkania. That game looks great but my brain hurts.
Realms of Arkania (aka The Dark Eye, dunno why the games got rebranded in Murrica) can be pretty fun (though I don't have experience with M&M to compare), but there are some trap options (don't bother with witches; take a mage to spirit bomb shit), and the version of the tabletop RPG it's based on is one of those RPGs where level-ups don't give you skill points directly, but rather the attempts to improve skills.

Also there's a 3D remake out that's hilariously amateurish.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 pm

I guess the trap option for M&M would be taking evil disposition for any character. There's absolutely zero benefit to it but a pure detriment in one or two situations.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:19 am

AdorableOtter wrote:
mad bum wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am
I want to get back into the gold box but I'm not gonna lie it's really really hard to play some of them today, and I usually have a good head space for playing those old games.
I recommend you to get Knight of the Chalice with your mystical bum power (especially when you're already familiar with D&D3.x rules). That game is basically modern updated SSI game with D&D3.5OGL rules. You won't regret it.
Thanks for the recommendation, gonna download it now.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm

You should've started with 1 anyway.
SpoilerShow
There, you can use my map of Sorpigal for an easier start. :D
Thank you for your autistic cartographical masterpiece but those maps ruin teh true dungeon crawling experience I'd stick with real life computer magic.

Nahhhh, I'll just skip 1-3 and start with 4. It seems 4-5 aged relatively well thanks to nice 2D graphics and voice acting (and auto-maps. auto map ftw).

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 pm

More like autopleb.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mistermott

Post by mistermott » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am

Man seeing those screenshots reminded me of an old DOS game I used to play called Dungeon Master.

anyone else remember that one?
There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:14 pm

I think I tried that one out a long while ago. Turns out I can't quite wrap my head around CRPGs where you dungeon crawl in realtime and control the whole party like a singular entity.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

mistermott wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am
Man seeing those screenshots reminded me of an old DOS game I used to play called Dungeon Master.

anyone else remember that one?
Played it on Amiga as a child and just two years ago again. The biggest failing of it is that it uses the mouse for pretty much everything. I don't really like real-time dungeon crawlers. The combat waltz gets old real fast and they all insist on too much mouse interaction.
It's one of the most influential computer games ever made and still quite fine in itself. The niche genre just isn't my thing.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Oh, and while we're on the topic of oldschool PC RPG goodness: How do Wizardry 6 and 7 hold up to M&M4+5?

I don't have much experience with M&M outside of Heroes 3, but I do recall being quite fascinated by Wizardry 7 (even if my younger self never made out farther than the first town).
-Yours Truly