Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:58 pm

They hold up pretty well but the classes and their leveling in Wizardry 6 require some good planning ahead of actually playing. Re-rolling is a massive pain in the ass because you really can't. You create a character, roll the stats in the very last step and then decide to take that character with you or not. So re-rolling is basically creating a character over and over again until you're fine with the stats. Those do matter quite a lot as well so it's not just fine to go with something barely alright.

Otherwise, it's still a really good game. Dungeon crawling without being watered down with it's own system instead of just an adaptation of D&D.
I haven't played Wiz7 yet, nor M&M 4+5.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Re: Why do most jrpgs and turn based rpgs still stick to 3 active party members?

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:50 am

mistermott wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am
Man seeing those screenshots reminded me of an old DOS game I used to play called Dungeon Master.

anyone else remember that one?
I know Dungeon Master is historically important game but that mouse centered control scheme hasn't aged very well imo. I tried once but It felt super weird and clunky because I had to click portraits every time I wanted do anything. I assume LoG (basically a remake with same mechanics) sold well because of YT hype and nostalgia.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 am

LoG is much less clunky. Dungeon Master was part of those grim times when Amiga devs thought it would be wise to completely ignore the perfectly fine keyboard that everyone had and instead use the mouse almost exclusively because it was new.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am

PS: I'm not a big fan of real time dungeon crawlers regardless. It's a neat idea, done real badly.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

LoG has glorious WASD controls, and I think you can even activate attacks without having to click on them. Though spells are pretty clunky.

Still, realtime dungeon crawlers are weird.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 am

LOG does have WASD control but no hotkeys for attacks, that's why I refunded LoG2 actually.
It felt like playing FPS except you're stuck in grids and you have to click your own fucking portraits instead of enemies.
I know I could use AutoHotkey script to automate clunky clicking mechanics but I didn't feel like going that far.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Then it's worse than I remember. Would it have killed them to map party attacks to the numpad?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Wizardry is a shit franchise only enjoyed by Japanese insect people.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Breath of Fire 4 had a 3-member party system, BUT you could swap characters with the reserve between turns. Mana Khemia 1 and 2 have the same system, but the swap can be done immediately after an attack or to block an incoming enemy hit, and every character gains an offensive and defensive ability related to their swap.

Lufia 2 technically had 5 party members: the 4 normal ones, plus the capsule monster.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Some mob porch monkey from North Carolina stole 30 copies of Kingdom Hearts III from a warehouse, leaked parts of the game, and sold the copies to 30 buyers already who'll continue leaking it. As you can imagine, the KH3 fandom's butthurt.
Now, this could've been easily avoided had Square just released the damn game as per their initial plan for November - December, but they delayed it so that they wouldn't compete with Red Dead Redemption 2 + Smash Ultimate. The hack who created the series released this statement on the matter:
Translation: They intentionally left the game unfinished, and people are actually supporting this. Fucking kek. :lol: