Modding and mods talk

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Modding and mods talk

Post by Charlar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm

So here's a subject i find interesting that i think cold be discussed.
I am thinking of trying to mod games but i don't even know where to start so anyonr willing to explain it to a dumb person like me?
Any mods in particular you like?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Modding and mods talk

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm

It mostly depends on the game. If it's using stuff like the Unreal engine you have an easier time tinkering with it. It's also important how "open" the game is. Without the source code available (which mostly happens with older games if the developers are still around and feel nice enough), a good chunk of the game is essentially a black box (which will force you to deal with or try to work around known bugs and other issues, since those are hard-coded into the game). Maybe the developers were nice enough to store a lot of stuff as handy xml-files, letting you tinker with units and stuff, like say replacing all of it.
In the worst case scenario, the game is so closed and inaccessible that you can only really try to replace shit.

I'm generally not using a whole lot of mods, mostly since I first want to experience a game in its intended state before messing around. I used the most on Mount & Blade Warband, especially the Diplomacy mod which has become my default for the game.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 pm

I always thought source ports and engine recreations were pretty cool, especially when nerds backport shit from games with console ports and such. Gives the game a very DVD-like experience.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:35 am

Speaking of source ports and well integrated modding, Doom is a fantastic example.
Personally, I use GZDoom. Horizontal and vertical aim assist off. Plays like a dream.
A personal must-have mod is Smooth Doom. It ads frames to the reloading and death animations without altering the look of Doom at all.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 am

Speaking of source ports and well integrated modding, Doom is a fantastic example.
Personally, I use GZDoom. Horizontal and vertical aim assist off. Plays like a dream.
A personal must-have mod is Smooth Doom. It ads frames to the reloading and death animations without altering the look of Doom at all.
Now go play some fucking Doom!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 am

I use the ZDoom mod thing that adds full WASD. Everything else I play uses steam workshop and I don't have to think about it.

I believe I might have duke nukem 3d set up on this laptop, but I never play anything here.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 am

Mouse look is essential. I don't get the faggots to try to be trve and will sperg about how Doom didn't have mouse look. Yeah, for a few weeks or so. Absolutely everyone used mouse look as soon as possible. It's the beauty of PC gaming that your games can be made even better and better with time.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 am
Mouse look is essential. I don't get the faggots to try to be trve and will sperg about how Doom didn't have mouse look. Yeah, for a few weeks or so. Absolutely everyone used mouse look as soon as possible. It's the beauty of PC gaming that your games can be made even better and better with time.
Wait what does mouse look do? Allow to play with a mouse? If so i never never that was even possible
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 am

Isn't Doom on Steam just slapped into DOSBox with no other modifications made?

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 am
Isn't Doom on Steam just slapped into DOSBox with no other modifications made?
And it's fucking shit. They want full fucking price for their old doom and quake roms they've got running with no mouse look and no mods at all. GG. Get fucked steam.

I tried playing Quake on steam. Go fuck me, right? No mouse look, no option to add it at the time. I should have just downloaded a fucking rom with mods. And they want $10 for each episode or something like that.

F
U
C
K

O
F
F

G
A
B
E
N