The Game Awards 2017

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.

Re: The Game Awards 2017

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Is it true Kojima made the cutscenes in MGS4 so damn long because he was butthurt over 3 being called a shitty movie?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:51 am

But MGS3 had the best gameplay/cutscene ratio and a non-retarded plot. At any rate, I blame the crappy storytelling of the later MGS games on Kojima firing his co-writer. MGS4 was when the series went full retard. Say what you will about MGS2, but at least that had some internal consistency.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 am

MGS4 was all over the place. Half the time I felt like I accidentally skipped a cutscene and was missing something.
Guest wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 am
It's not like Silent Hills renewed interest in the franchise or anything. :roll:
And they needed to cancel the whole thing instead of just pursuing the idea further without him why exactly?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 am
Keith, pretty much everything you said was flat out wrong
Nigga, everything you said was wrong. Including that opinions can be right or wrong.
Kugelfisch wrote:
A sequel to a successful game almost always sells well, regardless of it's quality. MGS3 selling poorly was a direct result of MGS2 being shit.
If MGS3 sold 'poorly' (if you call selling 3.6 million copies at ~$60 each selling 'poorly') it was for three reasons:
  1. It was a prequel. It had no bearing on the main story, offered no conclusion on the main story and was therefore non-essential (I initially skipped it for this reason)
  2. It was a late stage title. Late stage titles always undersell. For examples see: Super Metroid, Conker's Bad Fur Day, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (which had comparable sales to MGS3, you're not claiming everyone hated Ocarina), etc.
  3. The original Snake Eater had shitty camera that didn't get fixed until Konami put out the improved version a year later
Kugelfisch wrote:
Kojima would always take longer and more money than expected.
Show proof of this. Show a single shred of evidence that Kojima ever went over budget on any MGS game prior to MGSV. I'll wait.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Konami firing him was the best decision the company ever made.

He wasn't fired, he quit, and that's your opinion. In my opinion, forcing him out was especially retarded now that they're desperately trying to get back into vidya after their failed Pachinko venture and have alienated pretty much all the top-tier talent they once had.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 am
And they needed to cancel the whole thing instead of just pursuing the idea further without him why exactly?
Because they wanted to change direction completely. Vidya development in general was more money than they wanted to spend. They made a mobile game in 2009 that netted them millions of dollars despite not even spending a million dollars on its development, and from that point forward decided they would never ever spend vast amounts of money on developing anything ever again. This is why they settled on the bloody Pachinko machines.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 am

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 am

He wasn't fired, he quit, and that's your opinion. In my opinion, forcing him out was especially retarded now that they're desperately trying to get back into vidya after their failed Pachinko venture and have alienated pretty much all the top-tier talent they once had.
It's all pretty nebulous, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Kojima left Konami against his will. Most game developers don't cut out the final missions from their game and then slap the half-finished cutscenes from that mission on a bonus disc.

Because they wanted to change direction completely. Vidya development in general was more money than they wanted to spend. They made a mobile game in 2009 that netted them millions of dollars despite not even spending a million dollars on its development, and from that point forward decided they would never ever spend vast amounts of money on developing anything ever again. This is why they settled on the bloody Pachinko machines.
Their pachinko/slot machine division has actually existed for decades now though. They made pachisuro machines out of all their IPs from Contra to Mystical Ninja. It's just that the MGS3 slot machine caught more media attention from the west due to the poor timing of the announcement.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:43 am

Guest wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 am
It's all pretty nebulous, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Kojima left Konami against his will. Most game developers don't cut out the final missions from their game and then slap the half-finished cutscenes from that mission on a bonus disc.

I said 'forced out' because he was obviously bullied into quitting. I think it was The Nikkei that reported Kojima was physically separated from his team (his office was separated by lift from Kojima Productions and he couldn't go down and physically monitor them or consult with them, so he had to meet with them outside of work)
Guest wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 am
Their pachinko/slot machine division has actually existed for decades now though. They made pachisuro machines out of all their IPs from Contra to Mystical Ninja. It's just that the MGS3 slot machine caught more media attention from the west due to the poor timing of the announcement.
This is true, but an onslaught of Pachislot machines based on Castlevania, Metal Gear, I think there were others, coupled with the fact that between 2014 and 2018 Konami put out/is putting out about two games a year when they'd previously put out far more, is what led western observers to conclude that they are essentially abandoning the video game side of the business to focus on the pachinko.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am

Taking longer and more money for all his shit is what Konami said themselves. You'll likely not take their word for it anyway.
The company made pretty much exclusively terrible decisions in the last five years at least. Giving Kojima the boot wasn't one of them. You'd need Kojima for one thing and one thing only, to make a MGS. He didn't really want to make those games anymore for a long time.
Cancelling Silent Hills was retarded. Wanting to get out of vidya was retarded. Killing off big series or letting them rot in IP hell was retarded. Then again, it's a Japanese vidya company. They are ALL retarded most of the time. They likely took a look at SEGA doing better than ever and Nintendo making real good money with Pokémon Go and thinking that pachinco and mobile would be the future. Short-sightes business decisions are the lifeblood of Nipland corporations.
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Keith, pretty much everything you said was flat out wrong
Nigga, everything you said was wrong. Including that opinions can be right or wrong.
Opinions can absolutely be wrong. There's such a thing as an unqualified opinion.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am
Opinions can absolutely be wrong. There's such a thing as an unqualified opinion.
I strongly disagree
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 am

Only a cuck dosen't take their opinions as objective truth.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 am

Charlar wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am
I strongly disagree
On what basis? That's an unqualified opinion, nigger. If your opinion derives from false information or just plain ignorance your opinion can be safely discarded. What, you're going to tell me Spoony's opinions are somehow valid?
Opinions being subjective truth is the most grandiose poison ever given to public.

SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!