Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Complicity

Re: Retro Games

Post by Complicity » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:07 pm

I don't know where exactly to put this, because it's not really a retro gayme, nor really a fightan gayme, nor something that i'm playing:

This game is a complete clone of this:

With a Double Dragon skin.
The team of faggots behind both titles replaced the Terminator boss in Devil's Dare with pre-troon Jim Sterling (and his magnificent voice acting) in the console version, but the gaymes aren't really woke otherwise.
The combat is ultra simplistic; you do a normal combo by spamming the attack button, and finish with one of 3 special moves -each with their dedicated button- and that's it.
There are also jump + attack, and run + attack, both very situational.
Megaman-like selection of levels, and each one after the first will have extra sections (and bosses) attached to it -one extra section for level 2, two for level 3, and so on.
And then we have Le RPG Mechanics, aka the money you collect can be used to purchase power ups during the run, and extra continues - Double Dragon also has permanent unlocks like extra characters.
At least the graphics are cute, i guess?

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:58 pm

Basic rule for modern Beat'em'ups is that almost all are absolute garbage. Those "two" look like an example.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:26 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:57 pm
But why would I want to play Quake 2?
My thoughts exactly. But hey, at least it's a good version of a bad game.

The last good beat em up I played was Final Vendetta. That game feels properly arcade-perfect.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:50 pm

At least that Ninja Saviors remake has finally hit the PC gaming master race. Pretty cool beat 'em up if you can get over not being able to move up or down.
Complicity wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:07 pm
The team of faggots behind both titles replaced the Terminator boss in Devil's Dare with pre-troon Jim Sterling
Isn't it a hate crime if they don't patch this out with the troon version?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:23 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:26 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Is it? The engine wasn't the issue. And Night Dive hasn't has a good record since System Shock, which is a shit version of a great game.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:23 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:26 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Is it? The engine wasn't the issue. And Night Dive hasn't has a good record since System Shock, which is a shit version of a great game.
Nu-System Shock is literally the best we can get out of (((Current Year))).

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:09 pm

So is Dusk still the best of the nu-wave retro FPS? I haven't played many of those new doom clones. Been feeling the mood for some running and gunning, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just firing up Doom 64 or Quake again. Or if any of the new shit is actually on par with old classics.

I've heard a lot of announcements for new "boomer shooters," but comparatively few have made it to full release. 3D Realms seems to be continuing their Duke Cuckem Forever trend of announcing games, spinning the hype wheel and then quietly sunsetting the motherfuckers.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:57 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:09 pm
So is Dusk still the best of the nu-wave retro FPS? I haven't played many of those new doom clones. Been feeling the mood for some running and gunning, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just firing up Doom 64 or Quake again. Or if any of the new shit is actually on par with old classics.

I've heard a lot of announcements for new "boomer shooters," but comparatively few have made it to full release. 3D Realms seems to be continuing their Duke Cuckem Forever trend of announcing games, spinning the hype wheel and then quietly sunsetting the motherfuckers.
I doubt this can be considered retro, but it's the faster and superior spiritual sequel of F.E.A.R.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:43 am

I look at FEAR as a midpoint between retro and modern. It has reloading, 3-weapon limit and a grenade button (majority of enemies are hitscan too) but it's also got health packs and crunchy, satisfying gunplay.

Half-Life 2 is another game I'd point to as a transitional period between retro and modern. It's got all those fucking cutscene sections where you stand around doing jack shit, and every weapon reloads. But you can carry all of them and pick up health packs.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:38 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:09 pm
Lol. Wait was Ion Storm one of those games? I heard so much about that and the news disappeared.

I still laugh that the retards cry about poor 3D Realms for losing the Duke Nukem Franchise to Gear Box. It's probably the only time that I will defend Gear Box. 3D Realms tried to be slick pretending they didn't sell the franchise to them even though that's what everyone thought happened and why the courts agreed. Then Gearbox fixed up what they can and released DNF because they wanted to award the fans for putting up with 3DRealms's shit.

Another thing I laugh about is how those same jackasses blame Gearbox for the game sucking and not 3DRealms saying they should have taken more time to make it work then bring up that Miyamoto quote about a delayed game may be better but a rushed game will always be bad. Yeah like 15 years for one game is not enough. Nintendo would never allowed a game to take even 7 years to build. They would scrap it if what they had wasn't working. They did that with the original Super Mario 2 and Metroid Dread. 3DRealms had zero direction and that's why that game was a shit show. A beta build from the early 2000s was found a year ago and the people who found it felt it was a 89% done game. Of course the head developer, the tard wrangler who everyone at the company put the blame due to wanting them to keep adding features to game making them redo it again and again, denies this saying it was closer to 50%. Probably because would have torn his asshole a new one for having a game close to completion.

I am honestly surprised they are still around. Have they ever released a game in the last 15 years?