Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Re: Retro Games

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Enjoy Chrono Trigger, its the greatest game of all time.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Speed and pacing is essential to games. Too many games today are slower than they need to be for no good reason. A good example are FPS games. Doom 4 is still way too slow and anything that isn't Doom 4 or Shadow Warrior 2 is even slower.
The upper speed limit is what prevents me from getting into the zone in modern shooters. There is nothing that forces you to go fast in Doom or Quake but it feels natural to do so and is fun. It never feels like the game is arbitrarily slowing you down, allowing for the player to have their own pacing.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Playing Alien vs Predator 2000 recently was a real eye-opening experience in that regard. Moving around as the Marine felt like playing as the Flash in comparison, but it was okay because the Aliens were like supersonic rage monsters.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:Playing Alien vs Predator 2000 recently was a real eye-opening experience in that regard. Moving around as the Marine felt like playing as the Flash in comparison, but it was okay because the Aliens were like supersonic rage monsters.
Play AvP³ and then go back to AvP². It's mind boggling how extremely restricted movement and attacks have gotten.
In AvP² xenos can run on all surfaces and freely jump wherever they want, even being able to attack during the jump. In AvP³ you can only jump to spots the game allows you to and all melee actions tie you to your target to play out a preset animation. It's ridiculous.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 pm

rabidtictac wrote:SoR 3 kind of feels like bullshit
That's because it is indeed bullshit. Western version is much more (more than twice) harder than Japanese version because of rentals. Try patched version, Bare Knuckle 3 or even Streets of Rage Remake.
A shame beat em ups are basically dead on all consoles and have been for years.
The classic arcade style beat'em up genre is surely dying but not dead yet. Try Mother Russia Bleeds. It's basically a spiritual successor of classic Capcom/Technos/Sega/Irem/DataEast/whatever beat'em ups. It's really REALLY REALLY good. 7/5

Double Dragon Neon is also good but not that much. (a bit repetitive)

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Mother Russia Bleeds looks like shit. Trying way too hard to be super edgy.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Big Brown Titties

Post by Big Brown Titties » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Twisted Metal and Blast Chamber, both very early PSX games, are still a blast to play today. No story in the latter, while the former has story but it's contained to a single blurb in the insert and a paragraph at the end of the game. No ten minute cut scenes, no writers talking about motivation in Game Informer instead of gameplay.

OH MY GOD! IT'S ALMOST AS IF THE GAME MATTERS AND NOT SOCIAL JUSTICE!

Needed titties, though. But everything needs titties.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:Mother Russia Bleeds looks like shit. Trying way too hard to be super edgy.
Yeah. I saw the best friends guys playing it and it looked edgecore to the max. I Am The Hero or whatever that's called looked better, but it had a ton of air juggling in it and I disagree very strongly with people (Woolie has outright said this) who think brawlers need those juggles. IMO a smartly-designed brawler is all about having a core set of moves and then putting you through the wringer and forcing you to learn how to use every piece of your toolkit intelligently. Simple games, but not simplistic.

Golden Axe 3, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, River City Ransom and Final Fight are prime examples of what I'm saying and what I like.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:25 am

I'm about 5 hours into The Story Of Thor/Beyond Oasis, it's a rather decent Zelda/Secret Of Mana styled game. Its main flaw is that rather than having any interesting items such as in Zelda it instead relies upon using weapons you collect that have a set amount of uses before they break. The main problem with this is that there's a limited variety of weapons (99% them are just bows and swords of progressing strength) and they have no depth at all. Contrast this to your starting weapon, a dagger that has infinite uses and has lots of different moves, it creates a very unsatisfying experience where the stronger weapons are no fun at all and the dagger is rather weak. One of its more successful mechanics is its Elemental companions where you have 4 different Elementals you collect through the game that all have different personalites/moves that help you solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Only problem with that is they constantly drain mana so you have to keep eating food and that so far in my experience of playing the game they're used very one dimensionally and you can't swap them out on whim, so you generally use 1 per dungeon. It looks and feels great though and has a very middling soundtrack composed by Yuzo Koshiro.

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Kugelfisch wrote:Mother Russia Bleeds looks like shit. Trying way too hard to be super edgy.
Yeah. I saw the best friends guys playing it and it looked edgecore to the max.
I skimmed through two best friends' play through and I noticed they had absolutely no idea how to play and they had turned on scanlines (which make your eyes bleed
) for whatever retarded reason. That looks bad because they made it look bad.
IMO a smartly-designed brawler is all about having a core set of moves and then putting you through the wringer and forcing you to learn how to use every piece of your toolkit intelligently. Simple games, but not simplistic.
I've beaten the game (MotherRussia) on the hardest setting only twice or something but it really felt old school. My character was as good as my skills, one or two missteps in last levels = death but it didn't feel like bullshit.

Fancy moves like air juggles or fatality do exist but they are non-essential and actually impractical. Core mechanics are relatively simplistic.

I'm talking about Punisher/AVP/DoubleDragonGBA/GoldenAxe2(Arc)/UndercoverCops/NightSlashers kind of old school/simplicity though.