Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Retro Games

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:50 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:06 pm
I never liked changing Doom much.
Same.

The game is meant to be played the way it is. Mouse look + WASD is the most I would add, although I think it's more fun to play with no mouse aim up/down and autoaim on. Brutal Doom is some mega gay shit imo. I don't want to do glory kills like it's fucking god of war. My glory kill is called shooting the demon with bullets.

Ashes 2063 looks like a cool game but it modifies DOOM so heavily it barely resembles it. Afterglow has open world shit in it + weapon upgrading, and 2063 has vendors. I think the dude who made that mod was heavily inspired by the Stalker and Metro games. Not just in the setting, but game design too.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:35 am

Complicity wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:23 am
Boltgun's real problem is being too easy
Ah, so the Space Marine you're playing is lore instead of game accurate.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:47 pm

Imo, Doom1 is a masterpiece as an FPS and also a survival horror-ish, but Doom2 isn't as good. MAPs feel too wide and enemies feel too bullet spongy, and which makes me wanna change the balance i.e. mod shit.
Complicity wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:23 am
AdorableOtter wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:08 am
FPS version DRL is better than the original DRL.
Looks good, i'll try it.
Make sure you turn off the nuclear barrel thing (by default, rare nuclear barrels spawns which have insane explosion radius). It can mess up the game balance when you are playing with a map set with tight spaces.
SpoilerShow
I want to give a gameplay advice but I FORGOT the details. IIRC technician becomes pretty strong later but I could be wrong.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:06 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:47 pm
Imo, Doom1 is a masterpiece as an FPS and also a survival horror-ish, but Doom2 isn't as good. MAPs feel too wide and enemies feel too bullet spongy, and which makes me wanna change the balance i.e. mod shit.
Fair enough. I'm not a vanillafag either. I turn on full mouselook and all auto aim off.
Being too puristic about Doom is silly. They would've used every bit of technological advance available. None of the restrictions were ever a stylistic choice.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:37 am

AdorableOtter wrote:
I want to give a gameplay advice but I FORGOT the details. IIRC technician becomes pretty strong later but I could be wrong.
The only thing about the game i haven't figured out yet is how to disassemble weapons into mods, and how to remove installed mods from them - both actions available to the technician class.
Dropping the weapon maybe?

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:15 am

AdorableOtter wrote:
You're right about the maps. They're definitely not as tightly-made as DOOM 1 and have more BS in them. But I think weapon balance is pretty good for DOOM 2. The Super Shotgun helps establish a new "floor" for weapons, so that as long as you have some shells, you can kill most every enemy with a bit of skill. It does somewhat invalidate the shotgun though, except for sniping.

Super Shotgun is still probably best shotgun of all time for FPS. That or the shotgun from FEAR. Halo CE has a fun shotgun too.
RAPEMAN wrote:

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:40 am

I wish Doom2 had other high DPS weapons like railgun from Quake2. Super shotgun doesn't feel that super, rocket launcher feels slow and BFG is janky by design. At least Duke3D had a devastator which destroys everything.
Complicity wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:37 am
AdorableOtter wrote:
The only thing about the game i haven't figured out yet is how to disassemble weapons into mods, and how to remove installed mods from them - both actions available to the technician class.
Dropping the weapon maybe?
Drop weapon -> Alt fire
You can only disassemble unique/assembled weapons and you destroy them in the process.
SpoilerShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:37 am

I've never heard anyone call the rocket launcher slow.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:01 am

Real life RPGs fly much faster. Rocket launcher in Doom feels like an explosive pea shooter in comparison.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:38 am

The speed of the rockets was probably for gameplay balance. They do a lot of damage and ammo is relatively plentiful compared to other heavy weapons.
RAPEMAN wrote: