Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Retro Games

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:02 am

I have physical copies of vice city, vice city stories and liberty city stories. The instruction books for those 3d era rockstar games are fantastic. You get a fold-out map and full-color manual with in-universe presentation.

3d era best era (except for lost and damned, which is breddy ok.)

The new 3d era remakes look as shitty as the poggerman bugman diamond and shining piss remakes.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 am

Why does remaster has over (over)saturation effect where everything looks like cartoon candy?
Fucking how, does the resolution in the remaster looks worse with how fucking blurry everything is!?

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 am

I could be wrong but Famicom Disk System is probably the king of consoles when it comes to bulky manuals. They all came with a booklet IIRC. It's not that much compared to PC/DOS RPG manuals, but it's still something compared to your typical CD/DVD era manual which was typically just a few pieces of paper.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:50 am

AdorableOtter wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 am
I could be wrong but Famicom Disk System is probably the king of consoles when it comes to bulky manuals. They all came with a booklet IIRC. It's not that much compared to PC/DOS RPG manuals, but it's still something compared to your typical CD/DVD era manual which was typically just a few pieces of paper.
They had to be since games couldn't really tell a story back then.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 am

The SNES also had a few gems. Secret of Mana was bundled with its strategy guide, for example.
Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:23 am
Why does remaster has over (over)saturation effect where everything looks like cartoon candy?
Fucking how, does the resolution in the remaster looks worse with how fucking blurry everything is!?
Oversaturation is more realistic.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Sakura Wars for the GayBoyColoreds was fan translated.
https://github.com/vinheim3/sakuraWars1-disasm
>Localization is an arduous, but fun process when you’re doing this as a fan work. I had more freedom to write whatever I wanted to make the text make more sense to a western audience. While I’m no Victor Ireland in terms of “artistic license”, throwing in occasional references into lines of throwaway text was always hilarious to me. For example, when asking Iris about her favorite food which are pancakes, the player can choose to say that they’ll make her get fat as one of the dialogue options. In the player’s own words, he’ll say “Bread makes you fat.” One can never have too many Scott Pilgrim references.
Into the trash it goes.
Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:50 am
They had to be since games couldn't really tell a story back then.
I'm not convinced they can now.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:28 am

>one can never have too many scott pilgrim references
And there it is! The most false statement I will hear 2021.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:21 am

Soy Pilgrim is so repulsive that I have deliberately avoided that beat em up for years, even though the gameplay seems decent, just because it had the Scott Pilgrim IP.

Every character in that series is a terrible person and embodies the worst and most toxic aspects of modern culture.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:28 am

I don't think Negative XP even has to get linked anymore. That's how cancer SP is.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:03 am

Good thing the fucker released the source code on github, so a more based person can try to fix his mess.

Also: German games. You all know Anno, but do you also know Emergency?
Aka 911: First Responders in Burgerland (sometimes, at least).
Aka Emergeny [Current Year] when they did a Reverse King of Fighters and just started naming the games after their year of release.

It's a RTS series where you order around various emergency teams: ambulance, firefighters, police, and the most Teutonic Technisches Hilfswerk (basically emergency engineers/technicians).
The former two are easily the most useful, since there's pretty much always someone in need of medical attention and firefighters are easily the most versatile units. The cops have their usage in non-crime related scenarios, since they can basically turn themselves into Lemmings-style roadlocks for civilians (who would otherwise just walk right next to a burning building). They're also vital in Autobahn accidents, since the cars there drive so fast they will just run your guys over (which is always good for a laugh).

Missions range from car crashes, fires, fires with an arsonist running around, hostage situations, hosing down hooligans, meteor impacts and nuclear meltdown. The usualy bits, really.
Besides missions, the 3D entries added a sandbox mode of sorts where you need to respond to random shit going down in your city.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette