Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Retro Games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:40 pm

Just spreading the word.

Also interesting to see an entire genre collectively morphing to something slower and shittier.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Yeah, it was the early 2000 trend of everything needing to get more "realistic" mixed with the gritty shit of 1999.
That trend seems to be just about to be dead.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:29 am

Military grills are a weakness of mine, so even I say the bottom is an improvement.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 am
I guess that's why I like DUSK so much. It goes back to you being fast if you have skill. You're only really fast if you can strafe bunny hop. Your duck is a slide, that will duck under projectiles by the way, but you'll have to go build up speed again with bunny hops.

I also feel that it makes for far less frustratig difficult games. GoW in co-op is pretty bullshit at times and you can only really die your way forward at times - at highest difficulty of course because it's just too easy otherwise. Likewise, CoD only really has bullshit to offer as difficulty. You're slow, the enemies all have hitscan weapons and you absolutely must tank hits no matter what. If you're at a particularly part where enemies won't stop spawning until you hit a certain trigger, you'll just have to attempt to run through the fire and hope the AI lets you live. That's just not fun.
Compare that to older shooters where you more often than not can dodge most if not all enemy fire but only if you're good enough. Now that's a challenge!

PS: Voice, you're way too predictable.
I was thinking about this after watching the video, and it really comes down to hitscan weapons. Look at how many games without regenerating health do not really have many hitscan weapons.

DOOM has a couple of hitscan enemies but they're rare and move slowly.

Half-Life 2 has the combine, but everything else fires a projectile or attacks in melee range.

Halo 1 has no hitscan enemies at all. Covenant use plasma pistols and rifles which fire projectiles you can avoid. Halo 2 added hitscan instant kill snipers and it's bullshit. But Halo games as a whole (ironically) tend to not have a lot of hitscan enemies.

Painkiller, a retro style shooter made some time ago, has few hitscan enemies except in the shitty dlc levels nobody likes.

Hitscan weapons are just annoying. You pretty much need regenerating health to deal with respawning enemies and hitscan weapons. Just look at a game like Killzone 2 or Call of Duty 4 and ask yourself if it would even be beatable if your health didn't regenerate. I think not. Not even if they added health packs, because enemies respawn all the damn time and you can't avoid damage.

Modern shooters require some kind of regenerating health or shield to deal with the pure amount of bullshit they employ now. It's simply not possible to avoid being damaged in a game like killzone or cod of dootie when everything on the map has a hitscan rifle.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:09 pm

So how long did yall managed to last on the experience bij
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Halo could've worked without regenerating shields if it was on PC and you weren't so slow.

@ASS: What?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Halo could've worked without regenerating shields if it was on PC and you weren't so slow.

@ASS: What?
1 page back my link to that soulja boy video, I managed to reach the part where he actually talks about his console/emulator but I doubt any of you will make it that far.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Oh, yeah no, not interested in watching that. He's an attention whore trying to stay relevant.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Nobody WANTS to experience bij
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:04 am

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:57 pm
Nobody WANTS to experience bij
So you're saying I HAVE to? Is this a cringe challenge? Because "Soulja Boy claps back" already has me close to my limit and that's just the title.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!