Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Retro Games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 06, 2018 4:06 pm

The best part is how the Furry Ivalice of later games has fuckall to do with the Aryan Ivalice of FFT. It's really just the name and the general shape of the continent.

Before I believe this has always been the same Ivalice, you'd have a much easier job convincing me that there's only one Cid in the entire franchise, who just happens to be a Time Lord.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 4:18 pm

They keep trying to drop hints that they're the same continent. Direct references and so on.

I mean, all they'd have to do is make some lore that said that Ramza killing Altima (or whatever the big boss ended up being named-- it's the only thing in that game I don't remember clearly) ended up causing some changes, or something. You can't even really explain it as, "but the church would have blocked that," because the actual game of FFT, itself, was you playing as someone uncovering the truth and writing it down.

Man, that guy must have been really bored writing all the parts where I took the time to grind for enough JP to master every single class on my main 5 party members.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

I never got past the DRAW YOUR SWORD RAMZA guy.
I learned that lesson too late, never have only one save.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Pepsi Man wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:03 pm
Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together are both amazing games for their story, alone. You could hate the gameplay and still appreciate their storyline.
SpoilerShow
Particularly the part right at the beginning of LuCT where you get to choose whether or not to slaughter a village of defenseless people to further your leader's plot or rebel and go your own path to achieve freedom from the political oppression your people have been trying to end.
I'm still pissed that FFT is considered a Final Fantasy game because it's head and shoulders above anything else that team has ever produced. They used it as an excuse to take Ivalice to places it shouldn't ever be. About the only good thing to come out of it were the bunny girls.
If you like the story of LuCT, you should really check out the Sting RPG Gungnir. Its story and presentation are very similar. It's quite a mature game in terms of tone.

Also, if you never played Knight of Lodis, that's the one I've spent the most time on. I had several custom weapons with godlike stats and everything.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 4:48 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 pm
If you like the story of LuCT, you should really check out the Sting RPG Gungnir. Its story and presentation are very similar. It's quite a mature game in terms of tone.

Also, if you never played Knight of Lodis, that's the one I've spent the most time on. I had several custom weapons with godlike stats and everything.
I watched HCBailly play through Gungnir on youtube and it looked great. He took the time to explain every single mechanic the game has to offer. Sounded great but I'm more interested in the story than the gameplay so playing through the game wouldn't offer me much more than a watch would.

Knight of Lodis was my jam back when it came out. :lol:
I especially liked the glitch where you could save a fight in progress at the final boss and start a new file over the hard save until you could save on the world map. Then you go back to finish the fight in progress, beat the game, and you'd eventually end up with a level 1 game and the Anbicion sword. Take that through the game and one shot almost every enemy in the early game, Snapdragon four characters over the course of your play, boom.

I also remember playing through every single alternate route in the game. The only good ending is the canon ending. The best ending is just feel good fluff that annoyed me.

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm
And then the hero started whining about how he's tooo nice?
The guy who the love-interest hooked up with defected. The chick was his captive and I actually think it's canon that she had Stockholm's Syndrome lol. The hero I think he just "meh"''d, accepted that the bitch hooked up with her capturer, then the hero went on to win or something.
Last edited by Auli on Sun May 06, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 4:53 pm

My only problem with gungnir is the game can be brutally difficult. So it's a typical Sting game.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:53 pm
My only problem with gungnir is the game can be brutally difficult. So it's a typical Sting game.
If I remember right it had some sort of combo system where you could have allies join in on an attack to deal more damage and it was how you efficiently finished fights, or something?

There were tons of fights that I remember him saying were the hardest fight in the game because the game was already hard and the developers actually had the foresight to realize that the player gets stronger as the game goes on.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 06, 2018 5:01 pm

The movement system of Gungnir was what made the game tricky. You had a shared movement pool IIRC and it could be very difficult to reposition your guys effectively when you had to book it. I can't remember if the shared movement pool applied only to your team, or if enemies also were affected. I want to say they weren't though.

It was very tempting to clump up, but if you did so, enemies tended to have big AoE moves they could use. You also had to use the time stopping mechanic to sneak in more moves, and very carefully watch the turn order if you wanted to use magic. Magic wasn't instant.

Additionally, I believe you had to equip healing items to your character to be able to use them. The game was just hard in every way tbh. Items were expensive and there was no grinding IIRC.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Bobito

Post by Bobito » Sun May 06, 2018 8:24 pm

I played gungnir some years ago but couldn’t finish it, it got very difficult in the last stage. Somebody played Jeanne d’arc?