Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Fighting Games

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:02 am

I played so much fucking OG2 back when I was a kid. I played mostly GBA games in those days and mostly strategy games like FE7 and OG2.

Samsho II seems like the kind of game I would love, but I never had a chance to play it against humans. Samsho IV is more fun for me personally when playing against cpu.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 am

So how was this last evo?
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 am

Charlar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 am
So how was this last evo?
I only watched SFV's top 32 so far and it was very low key, like not grand and huge like burgerland evo is. Don't get me wrong though, it made it feel like the 2010 days though.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm

I got myself Dragonball FighterZ. It's great fun, actually! DSP, to the surprise of nobody, is completely talking out of his ass when he complains about it being a button masher. The other guy was beating him with auto combos.

Every character has two auto combos. One for just mashing light attack, one for mashing medium attack that ends in a super. That's a good thing for beginners and the light auto combo is actually used for some manual combos later.
So you've got light, medium and smash (or heavy) attacks and a special button that's mostly used for projectile and some other special moves.

Many things are universal among characters. Almost every character has a special move with quarter circle forward and an attack button and quarter circle backward. The light version often is quick but has less range, the medium has more range and is slower and the heavy version is like an EX version, being best at everything but costing one bar of meter. You can have up to 7 bars and they are easy to get.
The special button is usually a projectile like a Ki energy ball with the qcf version being a Kamehameha for example.
Forward Medium is always an overhead, down Smash is always an anti-air/launcher.
A smash attack always launches the opponent for a wall bounce or launches them, pressing Smash again will automatically make you powerdash into them for a follow up.
There are character specific exceptions to almost everything but that's the gist.

L+S lets you charge meter. L+M is Dragon Rush, a short series of beatings into a launcher that takes a moment to come out but breaks blocks. You can also force the opponent to switch to a character instead by holding down the relating assist button. M+H is a teleport behind the enemy followed by a Smash that leads into a wall bounce, at the cost of one bar. H+S lets you fly to the opponent in a dash, mostly to continue a combo.
You have two assist buttons, to call either benched character in for an assist or hold them down to change characters.

Every character has at least one level 1 super and a level 3 super. Level 1 costs one bar, level 3 costs three and so on. There are also level 5 supers. Who has what is character specific. Krillin for example has his level 1 Destructo Disk but you can mash the button for additional disks up to five. Others might have a level 3 you can boost to a level 5.
During any super you can also hold down an assist button so after your level 1 super your assist character follows directly with a level 3 super. Of course only if you have the required bars for that.

Last but not least, you have some spark thingy, which is your comeback mechanic. You have one per match. Press all attack buttons and you'll do more damage and regenerate grey life at a more rapid rate. How strong that is and how long it lasts is dependent on how many characters are left. It's the strongest on your last standing character, of course. But it's fair because both players have a spark and you can pop it whenever you want.

Right, that's about it with the basic stuff. I'd spoiler that but I can't right now as I'm writing this while the forum is still fucked.
If you're used to ArcSystem games you'll get the hang of DBFZ rather quickly. Even if you aren't, it's fairly newcomer friendly.
What I really like is that the combo system is wide open. You always have multiple options open to you at all times.
Mix up your combos to stay unpredictable, maybe teleport instead of hard knockdown, maybe use an assist or switch characters, maybe end with a super.

It's fast, flashy and fun. It's so open to combos that it reminds me a bit of Smash Bros. in that regard, where it's more important to adapt than it is to learn flowcharts and combo lists. I can only recommend DBFZ!
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:06 pm

A lot of arcsys games use semi-universal commands, such as hcb->f+button for supers in Guilty Gear or qcf+button for specials.

Obviously DBFZ was going to be good from the start. There are still tournaments for the fist of the north star arcsys fighting game.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Well, I didn't like GG at all, though.

Edit: Before you ask, I played the newest one. Impossible to remember name. The one that was at EVO Japan. The only game I've ever refunded via Steam.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 am

I don't like GG nearly as much as Blazblue. It's down purely to the mechanics and the way the game feels.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:39 am

DBFZ is likely going to become more popular than both. Much more agreeable style for westerners plus potentially stealing Mahvel players thanks to Crapcom putting out the shittest iteration of Mahvel ever out. And I know how much niggers like Mahvel but they like DB even better.
MvC:I on suicide watch!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:00 am

Mahvul was already on suicide watch after Skullgirls imo, although that game never got as popular as DBFZ WILL. If it has a couple of strong tournament showings, people will drop muh mahvel and probably guilty gear/blazblue as well in favor of it.

The only thing that could kill the game is some kind of horrible DLC jewing the likes of which would be nuts even compared to the usual capcom shenanigans. Even if the game is unbalanced, they can patch that with updates later.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 am

Balancing-wise, from what I can tell, it's standing pretty good. All the necessary shit is pretty much universal anyway. You still have characters that just combo differently, like Yamcha, but overall and from what I've seen from tournaments there's a fair mix of characters.
For DLC there will be characters. 8 for $30 in total for the season pass. Not exactly an ideal thing but not worse than any of the competitors. I can't really blame Bamco for pulling that shit as it's a money machine and apparently people buy the stuff. Personally, $90 for a game with a season pass is a bridge too far. Thankfully, I don't care for any of the coming DLC characters anyway.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!