Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Fighting Games

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Street Fighter V is a game I and I think almost nobody understands the concept behind, if there even is one. It's extremely baffling.
So they want the new players, the casuals. Which is reasonable. You need casual players to keep a scene alive in the first place. They make some things about the game easier to execute and put in comeback mechanics. Fine.
But then they don't put in anything that casual players want. It is STILL such a bare-bones fucking game! Where are the single player modes? No regular matches against AI, no arcade mode and absolutely no party game mode for some silly fun. Survival mode for the colours is atrocious! The AI only has two modes of gameplay: Not challenging and defeatable for a cat walking over the stick or frame-trapping button-reading rape machine. Sometimes even in the same match. The spikes between those two behaviours are ridiculous!

SFV is truly a game for nobody. Pros hate it, casuals dislike it, spectators find it boring.
Have you seen the last EVO? It's mind-numbingly boring and even annoying. Capcom made a special stage for EVO so it's the only stage that is played with always the same fucking music. You see Nash being played for what feels like a thousand times and no matter who plays him he's always played the exact same way.
I enjoyed watching SFIV more and that's saying a lot because it also always had the same fucking stage and I absolutely loathe that game.

I could go on and on about SFV. It's fucked up on so many levels.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm

It's like the gameplay and game mode portions where made by completely different teams, and and least one didn't get the memo on what the game should actually be like.

And how fucking hard can it be to make an arcade mode? Back in the PS2 era, every single 3D fighter had at least one silly casual mode, and now they can't even be arsed with the one mode everyone associates with fighting games?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm
And how fucking hard can it be to make an arcade mode? Back in the PS2 era, every single 3D fighter had at least one silly casual mode, and now they can't even be arsed with the one mode everyone associates with fighting games?
I'm guessing they thought they didn't need one, since Street Fighter V was the first game in the series to skip the arcades. Even Street Fighter IV debuted on the arcades before appearing on PS3 and Xbox 360 months later.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Still, it's an age-old staple and the bare minimum of a single player mode.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 pm

It is THE one thing people absolutely expect. As far as single player goes, you really have to have that mode because it's a mode that works for absolutely everyone. The AI gets harder and harder until you face some bullshit boss that you can tell your buddies about how fucking bullshit he is and how you beat him.
Shit, that's stuff you remember forever!
Tekken 5, hardest difficulty, played with a friend taking turns trying to defeat Jinpachi, the cheap twat, I double perfected the cunt when I picked Bruce like he was just some little bitch after dozens of tries by both of us with several characters.
A couple of weeks ago I emulated the game and found that Jinpachi just can't fucking deal with King's Rolling Sobat (forward right kick, yeah, it's that simple).

SFV has horrible AI and that's why I think they don't have an actual single player mode. The story mode is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Seriously, I actually think Capcom is taking the piss with that mode. They can't possibly think that it is good. Not even they, not even Ono, are just that stupid. It's a commercial for the upcoming DLC characters. It's shameless and pathetic. I'm not even a nip and I'd consider committing sudoku if I was involved in making it.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm
It's like the gameplay and game mode portions where made by completely different teams, and and least one didn't get the memo on what the game should actually be like.
Absolutely. Marketing and gameplay fucks went with the whole "It's for casual players and newfags." memo and the other team went with "All that matters is online mode and that it's out in time for EVO.".
The game still doesn't feel even remotely like a finished base game to be expanded with DLC but rather an EA title where nothing but the shop is done and the only people still working on it are making paid content rather than finish the game first.
It's a joke. A terribly cruel joke on the FGC that nobody is laughing about. Not even 09ers like that pile of crap.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 pm
It is THE one thing people absolutely expect. As far as single player goes, you really have to have that mode because it's a mode that works for absolutely everyone. The AI gets harder and harder until you face some bullshit boss that you can tell your buddies about how fucking bullshit he is and how you beat him.
Shit, that's stuff you remember forever!
I still get PTSD from SamSho VI with it's super bullshit version of Gaoh. He's actually failry easy if you have someone with knockdown projectiles, but God help you if you actually have to get close to him. It's like every few seconds the AI makes a roll to see whether or not it should exploit his bullshit combos to annihilate you.
There might be KoF bosses who are harder, but at least those games give you 3 guys to fight them. I'm pretty sure Gaoh is the reason why the version you get with the SamSho Anthology has already unlocked everything.

Arcade is also perfect to get the hang out of a character after you've tested him out in training mode. Just select the character and you're good to go.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 pm

A missing arcade mode is a big mistake. Sure, you've got practice mode and besides you getting salty nobody really cares for your win-loss ratio and you could go right to online.
But it feels like going to a boxing gym and only being allowed to either punch a sand bag or compete in an actual match. No sparring for you!
Incidently, that's how I feel about team shooters that don't allow private servers and only have match making. It's like trying to form a football team but not having a chance to train, only play actual games.

I get that what works against AI doesn't have to work against actual people but it still gives you a much better idea about the character than fucking around in practice mode forever.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Yag

Post by Yag » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I was playing DOA 5, and after all the nude teasing and skimpy costumes, I gotta wonder why they don't let you play naked? It's already rated M. Just alter the animations so they aren't flashing vag every two seconds and there you go.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:34 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:05 pm
Still, it's an age-old staple and the bare minimum of a single player mode.
99% of my time playing ANY fighting games is in either Arcade or CPU Quick Match/CPU Versus. The other 1% is lab.

I don't enjoy online play/everything I play has dead online, and I don't have a bunch of friends who play fightan games. So I play mostly single player and a game without any single-player options is trash for me. That's one reason why SF Alpha 3 MAX is one of my favorite fighting games.
I get that what works against AI doesn't have to work against actual people but it still gives you a much better idea about the character than fucking around in practice mode forever.
Not only that, but it depends on the game. Some games have more "realistic" AI than others. Some fighters have garbage AIs that start at difficulty 10 no matter what your settings are and read all your inputs for a perfect counter. But a lot of fighting games have incremental AI difficulty and computers that behave more like ghosts in a racing game. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo springs to mind.

You can never perfectly replicate fighting another person and the CPU might give you some bad habits, but what are the alternatives? If the online is dead (aka any fighting game older than 6 years), then you can either play practice or play computers.

The real nail in the coffin for this "fighters don't need single player" shit is Skullgirls. This game was made by pro players for pro players and it still has a wealth of single-player modes as well as a super in-depth practice mode and tutorials. Why bother with anything outside of the lab if single player "doesn't matter for fighting games"? Just include your online mode, lab and tell the scrubs to "git gud." :lol:
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am

Oh and CPU versus/arcade gives you a chance to test what you've learned in lab and see if it works against the most BASIC of resisting opponents. Aka "can my crouching heavy punch into crouching mid kick with Beowulf pick an enemy off the ground for a throw reliably in real matches?" Or "can Beo's jumping chairless heavy punch actually hit a real enemy in neutral?"

Shit you need to know if you're going to play a character, and Practice will not tell you because the variables are controlled in practice.

I really don't understand SFV at all. I guess Capcom is to be commended for insinuating SFV so closely into EVO and the FGC. People in the pro circuit play it all day long even though they don't really like the game.

I can't remember the last Capcom game that featured fun FGC tournament matches. Probably Third Strike.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome