What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 pm

GrimGrimoire's pretty alright for a console RTS.

I'm only familiar with the original version of Odin Sphere. The bosses and the story are pretty kickass, IMO. Combat's fun, if a bit repetitive since the characters share so many dungeons and bosses.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 am

AdorableOtter wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 am
Expect something very different. The last time I played was nearly a year ago but still it feels lots of things have changed/improved. The most notable one might be freezing system where pretty much anything with water freezes at certain temperature.
Also a few somewhat crucial tips are

・In world setting menu, enable wonder spawn and all the NPC related options. Wonder spawn make zombies move around in towns and NPC related options enable, ah, NPCs. Without NPCs, some locations like bandit camp don't make sense, and also you can't get quests or followers from friendly ones.

・I strongly recommend to "Deadpeople" tileset. It's the most polished and updated one, also it's the only tile set which supports custom hair/eye/skin. Custom hairstyles/etc is a mod for now, but it will be integrated to the main game in the very near future it's just waiting for the ver0.D release.
I think I'll stick with the pixel art one. Deadpeople looks too cartoony for my taste. I do favour tiles over ASCII but not when it's garish stuff like something out of New Grounds. ADOM for example looks downright silly with the tiles they want you to use. Gives me tumblr art vibes.
I don't like tiles in super classic games, though. Nethack with tiles just ain't right.

Anyway, I'll reset my expectations. I've been so out of it that it'll likely be like a new game anyway.
So you have to enable NPCs even being a thing? That's an odd choice.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 pm
GrimGrimoire's pretty alright for a console RTS.

I'm only familiar with the original version of Odin Sphere. The bosses and the story are pretty kickass, IMO. Combat's fun, if a bit repetitive since the characters share so many dungeons and bosses.
Leifthrasier has completely revamped combat and it's MUCH improved. My main problem with Odin Sphere on ps2 was the combat had no depth. That's no longer true. It's at least as complex as Muramasa Rebirth or Dragon's Crown now.

GrimGrimoire is a great console RTS. They realized certain things don't work on console and they tailored the game around two dimensions and simplified the controls. Stripped out all the unnecessary shit tbh. The game would benefit immensely from a revamp a la Leifthraser or Rebirth. The ps2 version has a very small pool of units and it's kind of a shame there's no factions as such. Both sides have access to all the same units. It would really be preferable imo if they expanded each school of magic and made each its own entire faction. So spirits/ghosts, for example, instead of being a single tech tree, would contain as many units in its one tree as the entire game has in it now.

The game also isn't super balanced. I mean, it is, but only if you know all the gimmicks and exploit them. But a lot of units are just plain better than other ones. Faeries and shades are the de facto rush units for early in a match. Dragons and the wheel guys are the late-match finishers. A lot of the other units are balanced around being one-trick ponies or having the ONE SIMPLE TRICK! DRAGONS HATE HIM!!! Like the cat, which is useless outside of its ability to put dragons to sleep. Then you have units like Charon that aren't even remotely worth the effort to summon, or the Morning Star, which requires a ridiculous amount of micro-management compared to any other unit in the game.

The only tech tree remotely feels finished is the Faerie one. You can theoretically build an all-faerie army and not feel any massive loss, since the Morning Star, Unicorn and Faerie are all useful. The other trees all rely heavily on units that are not in their own trees in order to get rolling.

It's a 7/10 solid game that would be 10/10 (for a console rts, obviously) if it was reworked.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 pm

The wheel guys were Chimeras, if I remember correctly (even if the design's based on some weird medieval demon). And it's a shame that each school as so few units to offer (though I guess they didn't want units that felt too similar).

The whole sidescrolling perspective was also pretty interesting for an RTS, giving you stuff like the dragon moving around by climbing all over the place like some fire-breathing, scaly version of King Kong.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 am
Anyway, I'll reset my expectations. I've been so out of it that it'll likely be like a new game anyway.
This could explain why I have yet to run into another humanoid that didn't want to tear me apart.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 am
Yeah it's weird. Judging from past forum posts, NPC interactions/behaviors were pretty much broken until someone decided to do a major overhaul, but it's at least okay now. Another option you might wanna toggle a bit is difficulty setting because default is too easy, but you'll figure out one way another.

Either way, you'll actually get bored when you reach the evacuation center even though that's the starting point of the main quest line. Your character will be basically an immortal cyber mutant demi-god with lots of guns at that point, main quests don't provide any additional challenge whatsoever. For now, reaching the evac center is the de facto winning condition when I think about it. It's still A LOT of contents though. (of course you can ignore quest/NPCs and just build a marijuana farm or cocaine lab then live a happy life)

ban

Post by ban » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Just finished a cute little JRPG on the PSP. Did me some good to play something simple. Getting back to Gundam Battle Universe's grind now.

And I see I joined a little late for the discussion about Based George Kamitani's action games, DnD Shadows of Mystaria not withstanding. 8-) Bless that motherfucker and his timeless wit against the fat jew fuck that is Jason Schreier...and the fact that he's named after a great hero makes that much more sick of him and his lack of ethics.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Good ol' Shadows of Mystara. Fitting that Based George would pick the Based D&D setting and avoid the cancer that is Forgotten Weebs.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

I should probably just replay FEAR 1 and 2. I keep thinking I'll find something comparable but I don't think anything else exists.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 am

So my axe dude in Caves of Qud is level 13 now. I've gone with a much more focused approach for the skills and attributes. So he's not very smart, doesn't have much of an ego and has sub par willpower. He's fast, tough and fucking strong, though.
I've heavily prioritized axe skills, of course, and am only missing Berserk because my dude still isn't strong enough.
He's a True Kin Child of the Wheel, so he's got dual wielding and a dagger skill making off-hand attacks with daggers more likely. So he's not the most pure brute axe dude possible.

For aguments I went for the one that gives you a further charge and I found translucent skin for two extra DV. I've also skilled Spry for another two extra DV. So really, he's pretty agile and can dodge a lot.

Now here's where Caves of Qud is deviating pretty heavily from more traditional RPGs.
Normally, you'd build a burly melee guy with heavy armor. That's still the goal for me. But almost everything that has good AV comes with a negative to DV. DV is usually harder to come by as it's rarely on equipment while AV will be high on every good armour item.
So it follows that if you want a good melee fighter, agility and natural DV is what will allow you to go for a heavily armoured dude, instead of strength and just fat armour. What good is your strength if you can't hit stuff? What good is that 5 AV -3DV armour if it sets your DV to 3, causing you to get hit by absolutely everything?
My club guy run ended exactly because he would hit like a truck but be barely able to hit at all against high dodge enemies. The armour wasn't worth jack shit because he'd take little damage but that damage was pretty much guaranteed. He'd swing like a moron, not hit anything and die a death of a thousand needles.

Dealing damage is fine. But with clubs you're more focussing on disabling the enemy with stuns. With axes you go for cleaving, which reduced the enemy's DV by 2, has a chance happening on any attack, stacks and if you hit from a charge attack you're guaranteed a deep cleave for -3 DV on hit. Plus there's dismembering. Not that great on something like a centipede that doesn't really care about a lost leg. But fantastic against humanoids. An arm less is a weapon less, a leg less means slow movement, a decapitation is a clean kill if it only has one head.

So your melee character is more focussed around disabling the enemy than just straight up damage. It's almost a bit like the archetype of the strong big guy doesn't exist but not really. You just benefit more from agility and dodging than you would in most RLs. Want to wear heavy armour? Better raise that DV so you can take the negative DV of the high AV armour without ending up at zero DV and getting hit by everything.
Want to cause a lot of damage? Better have high agility so you actually hit shit when you want to. Getting that dismember or daze or cleave is more important than just hitting hard. A cleaved enemy can dodge less, a dazed one as well. A dismembered one is crippled, a stunned one helpless.

I think that's actually fairly clever and something new. Usually, going for dumb strong fucker is the easy way to play a RL. In Crawl you take a stupid Minotaur Berserker that can't magic at all and will facetank everything and somehow still be top tier despite being a retarded cow that only knows how to swing an axe really hard.

I've encountered goatmen. I can take them on but never more than two at a time at best. I've had to run away a lot. There's one legendary one that has nice stuff but can sap my life with smite targeting. I'll have to get stronger to take that dude on.
I'll try to draw his entourage one by one if possible to dismember them. Ideally, I'd decapitate the boss dude but that's wishful thinking most likely.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 am

Loved Odin Sphere, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragons Crown, GrimGrimoire and Shadows over Mystara (im nostalgic about Tower of Doom, but its just not as good in retrospective, SoM is fantastic though)

I remember buying Dragons Crown on PS3 back in the day and they shipped the Vita version instead, i complained and they shipped the PS3 version later, so i got both games, one for free.

The only bad part about Dragons Crown was that, when playing multiplayer (local) to repair, check skills or level them up you had to do it individually or character, however, by playing coop you can avoid this, my friends and i played on ps3 and vita at the same time connected locally so we could do all that by ourselves and just get together at the stables to launch a quest. It was fucking great.

I still play that game to this day, have a character for each class maxed out. Love the Amazon, Dwarf and Sorceress... also the Elf. Not that into fighter nor wizard.

Odin Sphere (the original) was great, but the controls where kinda slow, with the new version they changed it a lot and became a much better game, and it was already great, not only that but they added more enemies and stuff, fantastic game.

I agree, GrimGrimoire could use a remaster to, i would hope for Vita (even if its dead) since you could use the touchpad to play it and that would make things so much more fluid.

Hope George Kamitani makes another game, maybe Dragons Crown 2, and let the salt from faggy vidya journos flow!