What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AdorableOtter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by AdorableOtter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:08 am
AdorableOtter wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 pm
Generally speaking, those games with "overwhelmingly positive" rating are doing something quite right, it won't hurt to try an hour or two imo.
Maybe not in your opinion but in my experience you can't rely on those. I've not only seen people fanatically support garbage, I've seen devs just purge bad ratings as well and fans straight up harassing anyone who leaves a bad review.
That can't be true. Devs can delete/ban/lock threads on forum section but they can't interfere with user reviews. They can't even distribute free keys for positive review because rating doesn't include those free (and even bundle) keys. Rating manipulation isn't that easy. Steam moderators can "ban" reviews but I never saw an unjustifiable ban.
Look at what happened at Grimoire's user review section (tl;dr army of literally autistic dev&fanbois couldn't remove a negative review) for example.
Btw, I don't understand what you mean by "harassing." Spamming messages or sending cheap hentai games?
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 pm
(snip)
And not every opinion about a game can be condensed into positive vs negative anyway. If you asked me about MGS5, having played it, I'd tell you it's not a good metal gear game and it is repetitive, but I still find the gameplay enjoyable on its own terms and I would still play MGS5 to fuck about in side ops and stealth around bases.
I think that applies to any kind of review. Product review is personal/subjective by nature, there is a limit for objectivity. IMO, negative reviews mitigate that problem to some extent though. On top of that, reviews are completely useless if the entire genre is not for you (e.g. 10/10 rating for VN games mean nothing for me).

After all my point is, overwhelming/mostly positive rating is better than negative rating, no rating at all or professional shill reviews. Granted my main source of information is not steam reviews (I tend rely on shill-free gaming forums like RPGcodex) but that doesn't my opinion that much.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 am

Kugel is right, devs can absolutely do those things.
Ive seen so many negative reviews dissappear for no reason.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

A really nice way of purging reviews is simply going from EA to full release. I personally have removed a negative review for a game because I was fucking bombarded with comments on it and even messaged by autistic fans of it.
You can rate games you got for free. Just don't check the box that you got it for free.

RPGcodex has been total cancer for years now and they will absolutely suck the dick of any Infinity engine game to the point of chocking on it.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

But muh space hamsters...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 am

All you need to look out for is a bunch of negative reviews and you are golden. So far every game I bought & played afterwards most negative reviews I read prior have come true. If you will end up enjoying a game has nothing to do with the "overwhelmingly positive" rating.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 am
All you need to look out for is a bunch of negative reviews and you are golden. So far every game I bought & played afterwards most negative reviews I read prior have come true. If you will end up enjoying a game has nothing to do with the "overwhelmingly positive" rating.
Kugel said this earlier but it rings true, read the negative reviews like you said rather than the positive ones. If it isn't screeching autism or blatant contrarianism and looks like it was written by an adult then there is a good chance they are right. If what they are complaining about doesn't bother you, chances are you will be fine.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 am

Negative reviews are the only ones worth reading. A lot of times, a game will piss you off with one or two things that really bother you, which is even worse when you like the rest of the game. You'll never read those in most positive reviews because they guy is either not bothered by them or doesn't mention them as he doesn't see them as a big deal.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Man, DMC4: Special Snowflake Edition is friggin' weird. First I had to manually edit the config-file because that one starts out with the resolution set to "Unknown", which causes the game to crash when you want to edit the display settings in-game because the display can't into arbitrary strings. Then I find out that the only resolutions I can use their is either my rig's native resolution (which will only get me 40ish FPS), or much lower resolutions which are all 16:10 or 5:4 instead of the 16:9 I actually have. I can't even select 720p or 768p.

I could set those resolutions in the config-file, but the game doesn't actually seem to scale anything to fill the screen. So I either have fuckhuge bars at the top and bottom, or everything displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.

(At least I don't seem to have any issues with DirectX10.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Dusted off the old WiiU for some Sm4sh because I'm all hype again. Damn, I'm rusty.
I figured I'd give Xenoblade Chronicles X a shot later on or tomorrow. Likely tomorrow since I don't have any speakers here right now and the monitor ones are 90s Nokia tier. I still have XCX sealed. :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 am

I found a game for Voice.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x