What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

How do you all feel about dead rising? I've tried to play DR2 a few times and got a fair bit into it, but never liked it all that much. Been thinking I should try again. I pretty much just fucked around with the shops and making items while ignoring missions.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 am

DR a shit. Could've been good without stupid nip game mechanics like timer and saving people. Everything is too arcadey but not in the good sense.
I haven't played any but the first game (wich I finished) and I never will.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm

I always want to give it another chance because I feel like it COULD be fun. But then I play it and inevitably just uninstall it again.

Maybe it's just the concept that seems fun to me. I loved State of Decay's Breakdown mode. It's pretty much dead rising but with better mechanics, a bigger world with no loading and a time system where you opt in or opt out. I mean, you are given a lot of BS tasks to do, but it's not like you're going to do anything else with your time since it's a survival sim and the bs tasks are in service of survival. You can just go explore too and tell your quest givers to fuck themselves if you want.

State of Decay has a system that DR really needed too: your items degrade over time just like DR, but if you put them in your item box, they'll repair automatically. There's also a fatigue system. The end result is you are encouraged to switch characters every so often and get new weapons. Durability isn't arbitrary either. Weapons made of metal tend to be extremely durable while wood weapons fall apart quickly. Shit like that. Very basic but it works.

State of Decay has no crafting system for weapons and I approve of that as well, because I remember DR2's crafting system was annoying. Combined weapons were way better than normal ones most of the time, so you end up having to scavenge a bunch of shit and make items that look retarded just so you can have decent weapons. You don't have to do it, but you'll feel the burn if you don't.

I think saving npcs could have worked in dead rising if it was an opt-in system that didn't hassle you. Maybe they could have a system like a souls game where you can kill an npc and get their drops if you don't feel like doing their quest. Kill a survivor and get half the points you would have gotten for saving them or something.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I also assume State of Decay doesn't have the part where you need to babysit some loli.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:46 pm

You can pretty much do whatever with your survivors. Each one is playable so it's advantageous to leave them alive, but if you don't like the looks of one, you can let them get killed. I used to take survivors on suicide runs intentionally if they looked stupid or I didn't have the room for another mouth. Breakdown also has unique survivors based on story characters who have unique perks, and I would often kill a generic to make room for them.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 pm

It always felt like massive wasted potential to me. I can't and don't want to bother typing out what I dislike about DR. It's not like it's one big thing, just dozens of little things that overall sour the experience for me. It's a potentially good game with too many dumb little Crapcom decisions ruining it for me.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Agents of Mayhem. It's pretty neat. It's got Gat. Used to be buggy as fuck but it seems to be fine now. It bombed hard but Volition is barely alive so we may just get another Saints Row eventually. I hope it's better than 3 or 4. Especially better than 3.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Bobito

Post by Bobito » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:20 am

I played half of dead rising 2 and you can barely enjoy the game because everything is timed, I got annoyed in a mission with multiple requirements that update the objetive but not the time leaving in the end like 30 secs for the last part, after that I dropped the game. I played State of Decay but just the story mode, at least you can ignore the annoying stuff in the game, I remember missing a couple of story missions but they were optional and still I could finish the game. Seems like I should check the other modes, I remember one with some military dudes in another map, but I got enough of the game at the time.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:47 am

So here's my deal with DR. Talking about number one here.
You've got your timed shit. That's already annoying. People will say that you don't have to rescue anyone, which is technically true. You can just have the timer run out eventually and have the game tell you to get fucked. Great option.

So you have to save a set number of people and stop maniacs and shit. Otis will be sure to remind you. Will he fucking ever. Dunno about you guys but a telephone ringing when I'm in the middle of some shit is one of the most annoying things. You can pick up and immediately hang up but Otis will just call again, scolding you for hanging up on him.
Just fuck off. How cute of the game acknowledging that it's annoying the shit out of you. Shame that doesn't help since I'm still getting annoyed relentlessly.

So you save enough survivors to get to continue playing the game. What do you get for a reward? Zero zombies. They are gone. Instead, the millitary moved in. Hey, know how 3rd person shooty combat in DR sucks ass? Now you get to have all of that gameplay with none of the actual fun zombie smashing stuff.
The last part of the game is typical Crapcom boss fight shit that's just plain garbage. If you must know, look it up on YT. Don't. It's just boring garbage.

You made it! As a reward for completing the game, you get Endless Mode. Endless Mode, dude! No survivors, no time limit, no military! Just you, zombies, the mall and no timer! Except that you ARE on a timer because your health constantly ticks down - fast!
No problem, just mix some juice for on the go. You can totally do that. Once. Food has a limited respawn amount in Endless Mode. ENDLESS Mode has a fucking programmed end in it! You WILL die. The leaderboards were already filled up with guys with 25 hour times, the longest you could survive.
So neither is it endless, nor can you compete for time because there's an easy to max time you could possibly ever be alive.

Fuck the game! The one fun thing in the game is either constantly interrupted or ruined in some other way. Fuck it!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 am

Otis was one of the things they "fixed" in DR2. They fixed it by making it a button you push when a flashing light pops up on screen that says "HEY DIPSHIT! READ ME RIGHT NOW I AM SUPER IMPORTANT!" So you open up your phone/watch menu which btw doesn't pause the game, and you have to read the quest. Yep, there's no voice acting IIRC. 99% of the time it's an idiot survivor on the other end of the mall and you better book your ass that way or you won't have time.

Supposedly Off The Record added a true sandbox mode finally. I dunno. If you want to play sandbox mode in DR2, what I used to do was just load up a save, play as long as I wanted and then quit without saving. I'd let every single quest fail including the cases and do whatever I felt like doing. Fucking around in the sandbox is fun but it reveals how shallow the mechanics are. When you're not desperately running to meet timed objectives or fighting a bullshit overpowered boss, you realize how nothing the combat is. State of Decay had a lot more nuance in its combat. SoD zombies are actually challenging in small groups and you need to focus on knocking them down so you can use finishing moves to instantly kill them.

I'm not opposed to the idea of having some kind of timed mode in the game, but it's so shitty that there's no way to opt out if you just want to fuck around in the mall with zombies. The maps have a lot of secrets, but you never have any TIME to go look for them because of the ridiculous timer. Even if you KNOW where all the secrets are via looking them up, it's still questionable if the game has enough time in it for you to physically walk to them. You barely even have time to make combo weapons, which I guess was how they balanced the combo weapons being OP as shit. Except they didn't, because the nailbat, knife gloves and defiler are stupid easy to make.

The more I talk about this game, the more I want to play State of Decay again. You can even theoretically develop your base to be self-sufficient in that game so you can play forever. It takes some work but I remember hearing it's possible. And the game world has a shitload of resources in it + breakdown mode lets you create a new world whenever you're ready to move on.
RAPEMAN wrote: