What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:44 pm

I dunno. Gears 4 looks worse though. Lots of repetitive weapons (more than one type of sniper rifle for example) and they introduced robot enemies for no raisin.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:42 pm

I've played Gears 1-3 on the hardest difficulty co-op. Lots of fun, besides the few places where you're getting split up in 3, which are just absurdly hard. The funniest part was that lab where the enemies burst from their glass tubes. Since they are melee only if you have a Lancer you can just rev up that chainsaw and you're completely untouchable. Each of us got about fifty kills casually strolling through it. :lol:

If you can ever motivate a buddy, grab some beers, fire that shit up in hardest difficulty and play them in co-op.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm currently playing Gears 1 on hardcore. I tried to play Gears 2 on hardcore but I got so pissed off at the vehicle sections. The hammerburst 1 in gears 1 is godlike btw. Never noticed until now.

After I finish Gears 1 hardcore, I'm gonna do Gears 3 hardcore. The lab section is one of the few parts of Gears 2 that is really fun. I did that section recently and like you said, I chainsawed all the glass tube zombies.

I used to play local co-op Halo 1 and 2 on Heroic and Legendary a lot. It was a blast.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Auli

Post by Auli » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I played Gears 1-3 on hardest difficulty with the one supergood friend I have. Was great.

I think most stuff, even bad stuff, can be fun with co-op.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Absolutely, but it helps that Gears is pretty alright.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I love gears multiplayer and how autistic it is with these fuckers wall bouncing and straffing with shotguns, it's a very beautiful sight at high level play.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am
Didn't they get embarassed after Gears 3 and tried to be more "deep" with their plot?
I thought Gears 2 was them trying too hard to be deep.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 am
Gears 3: The apex. Tons of weapons that all kick ass, loads of different enemy types, better level design
All the platinum games dickriders who claim Vanquish is by far the best cover style shooter because you can zip around can fuck off. They usually smear games like Gears as "whack a mole" since according to them all you do is pop up in and out of cover and wait for their heads to appear. BULL...FUCKING...SHIT!!! A cover shooter is way more reliant on good level design than an FPS where you can have a Serious Sam style game where you just shoot fuckers in an arena setting with fast movement. Having options to move about and creating opportunities to be in a better position to get a good shot, while keeping your opponent pinned down in one spot or forcing them out in the open, are what good cover shooters are about.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 am

Vanquish is a shitty meme game. Gears got lots of hate for properly starting the cover-based shooter trend but it's not their fault that nobody else ever got it right. Hating on that influence only became stale when ideology called to their cuck journos to shill for The Last of Cucks.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 am

A lot of journos don't understand how complex the balancing is on good cover shooting levels. By nature, a cover shooter has to be more punishing than a standard FPS, as you said. If you can just sit behind cover and snipe, then that's going to be boring. But in Gears 2 and 3, you really can't hang out behind cover much. There are so many different enemy types designed specifically to fuck you up when you're humping a wall. Tickers, Boomers, Torque Bows, Wretches, Lambent, Reavers... Those are just off the top of my head.

But I know where they get the idea you can sit behind cover. Chapter 1 of Gears of War 1 eases you into the gameplay with fewer enemy types. It's pretty much just Locust Grubs, Troika turrets, Boomers and some isolated Wretches. You get a lot more leeway in those early levels, when there are fewer enemy types.

Weapon balancing is another MASSIVE issue for a good cover shooter. Weapons need to be balanced and your carrying capacity has to be too. If one weapon dominates, everyone will use only that in your campaign. Gears is very well-known for having a multitude of weapons that just feel "right." Sure, some are higher-tier in the multiplayer modes, but for Campaign, they're all at least usable on high difficulties. The weapons are so balanced, in fact, that whatever weapon you like the most is probably the one you'll think is the strongest. Because they all gib the shit out of enemies really well when you use them correctly. My favorites are the hammerburst, flamethrower and gorgon pistol. The mulcher is godlike as well because it lets you create your own turret mount on the fly.

I think Gears' weapon loadout system is kind of genius. A lot of retarded shooters only let you carry 2 weapons. Sometimes you're even limited to 1 primary weapon and 1 sidearm, like a shitty pistol. Gears gives you 2 primary weapons, grenades in their own dedicated slot (so you can't spam them) and a sidearm as a backup piece. I don't like the boltok, but the gorgon is great and the standard snub pistol is perfectly fine. 3 weapon slots, one of which is limited to sidearms, two of which are totally open for any combination. I generally carry one all-around weapon and one that's focused around either close or long range encounters. But if you are comfortable using your sidearm, you can take 2 specialized weapons and rely on sidearms for general engagements.

Oh and vanquish sucks shit.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 am

I liked the shit brickhouse cyborg guy with the minigun. Wish I could've played as him.
Poonoo wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 am
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am
Didn't they get embarassed after Gears 3 and tried to be more "deep" with their plot?
I thought Gears 2 was them trying too hard to be deep.
I just (vaguely) remember reading an article about a later entry in the series where the developers felt ashamed of the "Cole Train" meme.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette