What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

Re: What are you playing?

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 pm

TLR is perfectly doable without a single guide unless you want to fight the perfect end boss
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Well, you don't have to be impossibly hard to be a confusing blackbox of a game. I had a better understanding of what's going on from a gameplay point of view when I was playing untranslated SRW games.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Anyone played this game? I gave up when I activated hard more and saved without even knowing it being a thing and what it does. Had to replay 3 hours of progress and got stuck on my attempt to catch up because apparently when you don't have the Holy Grail you are the dungeon's bitch, nice game design developers.

Otherwise it seemed like a decent game, hope you dirty jews had fun tricking me and put those 5 bucks to good use :lol:

>Disgaea has so much stuff so I didn't bother!

The only games I hate are the ones that are super cryptic like Dark Souls 1 where there is zero clues to anything or complex games that kahntent rape you who introduce every little thing the entire game has to offer to you in the first 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOASzj ... tp-h-wsypA

I've played la-mulana yeah. Not too far in though. It's a very difficult and obscure game. One of those you can't really play organically because it has so many little systems and nuances. But I think it's a very good game despite that.

My only hope for this game would be it eventually gets a port that adds a difficulty mode where you can get hints on what you should be doing next.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
Well, you don't have to be impossibly hard to be a confusing blackbox of a game. I had a better understanding of what's going on from a gameplay point of view when I was playing untranslated SRW games.
What is confusing about it? You just need to talk to npc's, as in any decent rpg.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Guest wrote:
>La Mulana
I'm fairly sure I own it but never played it. I think I'll give it a shot.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 pm

AngrySpoonySnob wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 am
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
What is confusing about it? You just need to talk to npc's, as in any decent rpg.
I like the idea of a squad-based JRPG, but would've preferred the ability to design your own squad orders, akin to Phantasy Star 4's macros. Though I can work around having to work with what the RNG (or whatever algorithm they use) offers me.

That being said, on with the confusion:
  • There's no help option of any kind (to convince you to buy the strategy guide I assume), which leads to just enough things being unclear to be annoying
  • There's one stat that has a unique name for each character. Nowhere are you told what this stat actually does, and the only thing you find out with Google-fu is that it affects what orders the squad gets and that people with a higher stat are probably better as squad leaders. Or something.
  • Likewise, classes are never explained. You would probably not even be aware that there are classes if the class name wasn't in the stat screen and the level-up screen wouldn't ocasionally mention how someone changed his class.
  • Formations could be a lot more transparent about what spot offers which bonuses and penalites.
  • Skills will ocasionally level up and gain some prefix like "Nimble". It's easy enough to look up what that means online, but hell if the game explains anything.
  • Likewise, the various tags that come with your equipment aren't explained at all.
  • It's annoying how your party members would every now and then ask you how - and if - they should specialize. Since you have to make the choice without being able to look up his stats first, you could screw up a character for a bit unless you have written down where everyone excel at.
  • The main character being the only one you can actually equip manually is weird, especially since anything you hand out to a party member is gone for good for you.
  • It's fine enough that the party members upgrade their equipment with stuff you hand out to them, but why in the fuck can I only give them stuff that has just dropped as loot? Why can't I give them the exact type of material they're looking for that' has just been sitting in my inventory for the last couple hours?
(I guess most of the stuff can be countered by "But old games didn't explain shit either", but fuck this, all my PS2 games by Square-Enix have tutorials and help menus and shit, and they were more self-explanatory. The inventory thing is inexcusable, either way.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

I guess we just look for different things in games. The entire fun of the game to me is the randomness lol, it would be way too easy if you can just pick orders.
You can still have a lot of influence on it still by disabling certain techs and picking a weapon style.

I dont feel the need to have every stat explained I just see what is effective and what isnt, you can build any character the way you want to anyways and still have them be effective if you just stick to that style and keep them grouped together with people of the same styles.

It makes the game unique instead of just another min-maxing spreadsheet rpg. Half the enjoyment to me comes from seeing how they will develop on their own. Its like football manager for jrpgs lol.

And the tactics side comes from deciding what formations to use, how many formations with how many people to use. And picking if you want more melee groups or more magic groups and if you run with 1 pure healer group or have 1 healing hybrid in each union. I love it I think Ive got over 120 hours in that game and I havent even gone for new game plus yet.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 pm

It does have some roguelite-ish aspects in that you have to make the most out of the orders given to you - and do some planning to ensure your pool of choices doesn't blow - but whoever was in charge of making this game more "streamlined" suuuuucked.

Probalby not a perfect comparison since they're leaning much more to the strategy side of things instead of being JRPGs, but I think Ogre Battle and Soul Nomad do a better job in the gameplay department. They're less cryptic and it's far more clear what your squad combinations can and can't do.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 26, 2018 3:25 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 pm
Guest wrote:
>La Mulana
I'm fairly sure I own it but never played it. I think I'll give it a shot.
Make sure you get the glyph reader/translator and find the holy grail as soon as you can. IIRC it's in the first dungeon area. :lol:

The game isn't TOO bad if you just do these things first. The grail lets you warp and that's super necessary.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sat May 26, 2018 3:36 am

The game isn't hard if you read every stone tablet and write it down either ingame or on paper. Just don't read the tablet that says "dont read me again" a second time :lol:

The game has a manual, I recommend to read it before you play. It tells you to get the grail if I'm not mistaken. If you don't have the grail there are many ways to forever get stuck in this shitty game and have to reload or the worst case you fuck your savefile.