What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm

It's that weird kind of marketing "genius" where they want a well-known IP, but are apparently afraid to admit that said IP was actually a franchise at one point.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm
It's that weird kind of marketing "genius" where they want a well-known IP, but are apparently afraid to admit that said IP was actually a franchise at one point.
It's dumb and guarantees a default amount of resentment by some fans of the IP. It's worse when the game doesn't remotely live up to the classic. It never does.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Sonic 2006 bruh. The best game with that title.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

GTAB! Anyone who agrees with him, get your ass put into timeout for a looong time. Fucking charge shitposters posting off off my IQ. Flowchart bitch-ass drone. GTAB!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 am

On topic: Dusk. Episode 2 is looking really good so far. Still a game I'd recommend. I haven't played Duskworld, the multiplayer, yet so I can't say anything about it. The weapon balancing and ammo economy so far is nothing short of impeccable. Additionally, I have yet to see a hitscan enemy in the game. Salt rifle dudes have been introduced towards the end of Episode 1 and while they fire more often and faster travelling rounds, they are projectiles you can dodge and they die from three to four shots of the assault rifle.
The feel of the game is great. I feel like I'm in total control at all times. The closest thing of a mix of Doom and Quake that exists. I'll enjoy Episode 2 and look forward to the final Episode.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Angelfire Memes

Post by Angelfire Memes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 am

There's a weird thing in marketing where execs get really antsy about franchise numbers getting too high. There are exceptions obviously, but it conjures up images of shitty b-movie sequels that are all out of ideas, so instead they title it to sound fresh and new. I work in marketing myself so I can kind of understand that shit, although I also understand why people get pissed off at it.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:51 am

I get that. They use subtitles and shit and I understand. But you don't just go back to square one. You don't just be an entirely different company, with a completely different dev studio and give your game the OG title. Fuck off with that shit.
Also:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:57 am

Hitman: Blood Money is fine.

Hitman (2018) or whatever is stupid.

I understand not wanting your title to have a bunch of numbers in it. Especially if the title already has numbers in it, like 99 Nights or Left 4 Dead. But making a game in current year with the exact same name as an old game everyone loves smacks too much of the DSP Redemption Run bullshit. Imagine if Led Zeppelin put out a new shitty song called "Stairway to Heaven." No subtitle or anything to differentiate it from the song everyone remembers. Same exact name. Except the new song sounds like total ass.

That's what game companies do when they put out a current meme game with the same title as a retro classic.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 am

Or to be more plain, don't decorate yourself with the feathers of others. Get fucked to the extreme Bethesda! You may own Doom but neither are you Bethesda of old on any way, nor do you deserve credit for Doom. Even id games is something entirely different these days. Stick your Serious Sam clone up your ass and get totally fucked for calling it Doom. Not even Doom 4 as any halfway decent person would, no no, gotta go for the full douche move and just call it plain Doom.
You niggers don't deserve to polish Doom's shoes. Let me rephrase that: You niggers aren't worthy to polish DOOM's shoes. All fucking caps, as it actually belongs and deserves.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Angelfire Memes

Post by Angelfire Memes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Based Charlie B called it years ago. I've never worked in TV/video advertising but I know people who have and that's pretty much accurate. Marketing is all about following trends. One publisher goes the "rebooted title" route, that game sells well, and other marketing execs see that, analyse it, the branding and marketing surrounding it, and try to copy it in any way they can. All of a sudden you've got a trend. Follow the shekels.