What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 am

Weapon pods fill a similar function to EOs. They're like small EO turrets you shoots at guys, or bigger ones that just sta where they are and shoot at stuff. Especially the smaller ones are good for fire-and-forget duty. And for some reason they all count as energy weapons, which helps my bill.

Missile launchers are a bit weird. Locking onto multiple enemies can be useful in missions (though there better options out there that require less extensions), and for arena matches you basically have to have a ranged weapon for your left hand so you can actually deal damage while the missiles keep locking on for full effect. Silent Line provides more left hand options, but I guess I'l stick with the support missile extensions and missile launchers that provide the most bang for the least lock-ons so I can rapid-fire that shit.

I mainly use rocket launchers for big targets, mainly because I suck at manual aiming, MTs are a bit too small and enemy ACs tend to be too jumpy. Probalby need to git gudder here.

Arm blades are handy when all the strafing has caused you to accidentally get right in front of your opponent, and you can pull some tricks for extra shanking fun (keep pressing left or right while mashing the button for a faster attack rate, use the Optional Part that increases blade damage, and maybe use quad or tank legs to turn your swing into a faster stab). Then again, there are plenty of opponents that will rape you up close, and some enemy weapons are petty good at hitstunning you out of your attack animation, which sucks a lot.

Wave blade attacks on the other hand are pretty handy, especially during missions. They're basically ammoless ranged attacks that can only hit stuff at the same vertical level as you. AC3 and Silent Line only offer limited choices for that, since you either have to use the Intensify part or pick the one arm blade (maybe Silent Line has more?) that shoots out wave blades on its own.

The "balanced SMG" sounds like my preferred machine gun for the arena. AC3 has three of those: A weaksauce one, the balanced one, and the one that's weaksauce again and has a ludicrous 1000 shot magazine (which is twice as much as the balanced one, but higher DPS is better in the arena, so I just pick the balanced one with maybe some ammo extension back units).
I also once did a funky arena build using the dual machine gun arm with a chaingun back unit.

And there's no shame in E rank if it makes it faster to reach postgame.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:02 am

Where the hell is the intensify part btw? I keep hearing people talk about buying it, but I don't see it in the shop. I'll try a wave blade setup IF I can actually find a fucking wave blade. The optional part that reduces energy expenditure is god-tier.

My problem with rocket lawn chairs is the lack of ammo. I had a launcher for the arena, but eventually realized the SMG did better DPS thanks to the heat system and I didn't have to be accurate.

Yeah the balanced SMG is fucking sick. It deals insane heat damage + good DPS. I suck at aiming too, just like you said. My solution is to use machine guns, rifles or plasma that has a decent amount of shots. That + EO turrets drown the opponent in shots. A lot of MTs are very annoyingly hard to hit.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 am

The Intensify part is added to the shop after you beat the game. It always takes up all of your optional parts slots and doesn't actually do anything initially. You have to beat certain missions, bosses and ACs (some of the latter in the arena) with it equipped. A lot of the unlocked features are plain cheating (use all back units as a biped without kneeling, refill your energy super fast, beef up your blade with more reach and wave blades). A lot of the later arena opponents have that fucker installed.

The only natural wave blade in AC3 is called KLB-TLS/SOL and should be available in the shop. It's the most expensive and strongest one you can buy (the Moonlight is a mission reward). It's also very distinctive-looking because it's jutting out a lot more than other blades.

I used the SMG + EO combo for a bit, but I think I picked the wrong core. I used a medium one with two rapid-fire pods that drew a bit too much energy while I was strafing and dashing over the place.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 am

Oh ok, ok. Good to know I didn't miss it. I already missed the moonlight, but it's not a big deal.

I have two EO cores I use. One is a heavy core with two pods that fire large energy blasts and hold very little ammo. The other is a mid core with a lot of slots that holds 1 pod that fires like a laser machine gun. The laser machine gun core has a description that it contains a lot of slots for extra parts fyi. I don't know what the name is.

The laser machine gun pod is extremely strong. The other one is good too but misses a lot.
RAPEMAN wrote:

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:53 am
That control scheme sounds promising. Might try that one out.

And at least you know now the rough layout of the ship. The next try should work out better.

You don't really have to restart from scratch to do it "right". Once you've beaten the storyline you'll have access to all the missions, which is also the first time you can actually farm money.
(Only downside is that although bonus missions you can access via other missions are directly available like any other mission, you won't get any special reward they might offer unless you've accessed them through their parent mission. Then again you won't know about those rewards without a walkthrough, anyways.)

The turret cores are called EOs (Exceed Orbit) and I've used them a lot. They're especially handy because they actually regenerate their ammo supply, which can get handy during lengthier missions. The main issue with them is that some models will drain your energy fast, and the auto-aiming can be a bit stupid (if the next enemy is a corridor or two away from you, they'll just fire at the wall). Also you basically have to combine them with decoys or anti-missile extensions because only the normal Over Boost cores have that built-in.
(I think Silent Line or a later game introduced EOs firing solid projectiles, which won't drain your energy supply, but won't regenerate their ammo for obvious reasons)
FuckSploony wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 am
My favorite weapon by far is the OGOTO grenade launcher (dont remember if they changed names in other games, its basically the grenade launcher that folds itselfs), great damage, fires pretty fast, good capacity, tons of heat, etc.

For missiles, at least in AC2 it was the multi-missile, launch one and it breaks in 4. The normal missile launchers are fine as long as you have a part that allows you to lock on many, the problem is when you run into an enemy with tons of anti missiles.

The mounted chaingun is also awesome in each of those games, and of course, the KARASAWA, since its pretty much the best energy hand weapon. But sometimes using a hand-grenade launcher is also fine, as long as you have an auto wwapon to fall back in your shoulder.
Folding grenade launcher sounds like a back unit. Haven't experimented with either type of grenade launcher, though. Might wanna try that out in the arena.

The Karasawa is really nice, but non-heavy bipeds might find themselves not able to carry anything in addition to it because of its weight (especially if you also equip the Moonlight, AC3's best arm blade), and 50 shots might not be enough for some missions. I find myself resorting to the XCB/75 (which has half the power, but +50% more ammo), especially early on (the Karasawa is a lot more expensive and will raise your repair costs more).

The multi missile sounds familiar, but I haven't tried it. Combined with my favorite support missiles, this would allow me to effectively fire 12 missiles with a single lock-on...
Yeah, im talking mostly about arena (since you dont have to factor prices on it).

The folding grenade launcher is in fact a back unit, its pretty much awesome overall. The only limitation it has is if you try to fire it with a biped leg while standing, since it promps the unit to kneel, but its no problem as long as you are dashing/flying, as long as you dash a little you can fire it.

For the story mode i also min-maxed to get as much cash as possible, i think i ended up using only automatic weapons, i forget the name, but there was this brown machinegun (hand) that was my favorite, it had like 350-450 shots and it was pretty good overall, popping around corners and stuff and using it with individual shots. Only times i used other weapons was when i had to face a particular boss/raven, on this cases i would load a stronger weapon to kill them in a few secs if possible (double grenade launcher to the face does the trick most of the times)

Its a shame, but i dont have any of the AC games anymore.

Right now im playing a bunch of RTS, i kinda felt the urge, so i installed Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun, Kanes Wrath, Warcraft 2 and 3, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2 HD and Rise of Nations. Since the PC i had died, i have to use a Laptop thats quite old (i got it from a friend, but at least i can use something for now), cant really run more than basic games, at least none of this is demanding at all and even this lemon can run them (Kanes Wrath being the most graphic intensive, lol, but the game runs fine in low)

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:08 am

You should be able to emulate all of the classic AC games reliably if you haven't done so already. Unlike ace combat, you can buy armored core games digitally if you want.

4 and For Answer were great games and easy to buy these days, but they feel very different from classic AC gameplay. So much so that I can kick ass at AC4 and then got roflstomped in the transition to simple AC3 missions. :lol:
RAPEMAN wrote:

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:08 am
You should be able to emulate all of the classic AC games reliably if you haven't done so already. Unlike ace combat, you can buy armored core games digitally if you want.

4 and For Answer were great games and easy to buy these days, but they feel very different from classic AC gameplay. So much so that I can kick ass at AC4 and then got roflstomped in the transition to simple AC3 missions. :lol:
Would love to emulate, but again, im stuck with this laptop that cant play anything but the most basic stuff. Its not even worth getting a PC since im moving. With some luck i will get a decent one once thats done.

A friend got Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Alien Isolation, and since i gave him Persona 5 and he is still going, he will lend them to me, kinda pumped to play them.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Mmh, emulation, strafing to the shoulder button, mapping the shoulder buttons to the right analog stick... I might be onto something...
FuckSploony wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am
The folding grenade launcher is in fact a back unit, its pretty much awesome overall. The only limitation it has is if you try to fire it with a biped leg while standing, since it promps the unit to kneel, but its no problem as long as you are dashing/flying, as long as you dash a little you can fire it.
You can do that?! I though bipeds can't use those weapons at all unless they stay kneeled (or you use Intensify).
-Yours Truly

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:23 pm
Mmh, emulation, strafing to the shoulder button, mapping the shoulder buttons to the right analog stick... I might be onto something...
FuckSploony wrote:
You can do that?! I though bipeds can't use those weapons at all unless they stay kneeled (or you use Intensify).
As far as i remember, you can use those weapons while on the air or dashing as long as you are not directly touching the ground. Makes sense, the mech need to absorb the recoil by kneeling, but in the air he just gets pushed back.

I think this was the rule for all "folding" weapons.

FuckSploony

Post by FuckSploony » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:23 pm
FuckSploony wrote:
As far as i remember, you can use those weapons while on the air or dashing as long as you are not directly touching the ground. Makes sense, the mech need to absorb the recoil by kneeling, but in the air he just gets pushed back.

I think this was the rule for all "folding" weapons.
BTW, this is me. I forgot to add something.

This is much easier to do in AC4 (the one i remember), because its much easier to stay on the air, be flying or dashing, than in AC2/3, but i think you can also shoot this kind of weapons on those games as long as you are airborne.