What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:26 pm

For me, the game is in this weird position where I know that a lot of it is silly and more like a cross between fanfiction and fever dream. Because they just kind of assembled a bunch of loose ideas from the books and kinda put them together around rather odd storyline.

Not bad, but I can't say it's great - especially the writing in W1 just isn't very good, just like the voice acting. But it's more than serviceable. Still, the game has a lot of attractive areas, decent variety and it was fucking ambitious for it's time - quite a lot of content put into it. The effort that went into it shows, especially given the various choices you have through it. I think it aged poorly in multiple areas, but it's still worth a try, it will grow on you.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm

I haven't read the books, I have no idea how good job CD Projekt did to interpret them. But in its time it was really good and innovative game with its well built moral dilemmas and long-term consequences of your choices.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am

most overrated series of all time

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:58 am

It deserved to be ruined by Netflix, really.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am
The first book is good but otherwise I agree.
SpoilerShow
The series got a lot worse after it shifted formats from short stories to novels.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:50 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Guest wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am
The first book is good but otherwise I agree.
SpoilerShow
The series got a lot worse after it shifted formats from short stories to novels.
im talking about the games

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:40 pm

ASS.. you really should just concentrate on jacking off to dickgirls and not bother your head with more complex concepts like the Witcher games.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Jacking off is more fun than playing video games.

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:37 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm
I haven't read the books, I have no idea how good job CD Projekt did to interpret them. But in its time it was really good and innovative game with its well built moral dilemmas and long-term consequences of your choices.
Eh, they tried, but it's not that good. The second game got the closest to books when it comes to the overall mood, as far as I am concerned, but it was difficult for newcomers to pick up, which isn't surprising, because they tried to stuff a lot of the less interesting or important background stuff as important events in the game. The game's story is honestly a mess at times if you know nothing about Witcher. But it's great if you do.

W3 has good writing, but shits on what it's based off with the "saving the world" kind of journey. The books always made sure to let you understand that Geralt is a typical anti-hero, not someone who wants to save the world. Then again, the Witcher saga (the last 5 books, making one big story) has problems too. On the other hand, it has many great moments (last book has the best and most intense depiction of large scale battle that I've ever read), none of them rivaled by anything you ever see in the games.

The first two books (collection of short stories) are the best fantasy stuff I've ever read. Hands down. It's simple, straightforward, but excellently put together, and what's very important, stuffed with dry humor! That's the main thing I've been missing from games, the humor isn't anywhere to be found. And Geralt talks so fucking much. In the books, it's the other characters that do the talking most of the time - that's not to say he never converses, in fact, he has some incredible dialogues and arguments that are just awesome, especially since you don't expect it from him. In games, they made him Geralt of Spergia - he has no depth shown in books. He's more like the "generic badass" you expect from a vidja gayme. The book Geralt is a real badass.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Well, as a non-book reader, my perception surely differs, but I certainly didn't get any "we are now saving the werld" vibes from W3. Geralt in the games was this man-with-no-name/Yojimbo character living by his own code, indifferent to the world around him and his goal was always just to keep Ciri safe and kill Eredin and others. It was Avallach's aim to defeat muh climate change, where Geralt never showed any enthusiasm to. Granted, the white frost thing was possibly the worst part of the story, that was quite nonsensical how one person supposedly held such power that she could "defeat" it by changing the planet's axis or whatever the hell she supposedly did there. But it didn't matter, it was such a small segment of the game and by that point the main story was practically already over. I think there were quite a bit of humor in both DLC's, especially Blood and Wine included some tongue-in-cheek writing.

I have had The Last Wish EPUB over a year on my hard drive. Maybe it's time to start with that when I get Ham on Rye finished.