What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
jpakke

Re: What are you playing?

Post by jpakke » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Complicity wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm
This one is turn based, there's no party at all, and it's as difficult as a roguelike:

Probably the only good modern crpg out there, and of course the journo scum's verdict was "Failout bad clone, 4 out of 10".
There are some others, like The Age of Decadence and Atom RPG which is basically "What if Fallout was set in soviet union?". Battle Brothers and Warbanners both are very good too, but not really crpgs, but more turn-based tactical strategy games. Of course, there's also Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, made by none other than Cleveland Mark Blakemore, absolute madman and lunatic.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Any of you ever play that greedy jew game, wario land? I played 2 when I was a child and thought I'd try the others out. Wario Land 1 is breddy fun. 3 is complicated as fuck though. Wario land 1 has the subtitle "super mario land 3" and plays like a more traditional platformer, with levels and power ups. Garlic increases your size, viking helmet makes your shoulder bash stronger, jet hat makes you able to skip entire levels by flying over them and the dragon hat shoots fire. Very similar to power ups in mario land 2: six golden coins, which was both the immediate precursor and probably the best handheld mario title.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Played all the Mario Lands back in the day. 2 was a huge upgrade from the first one and doesn't need to hide from the SMB titles on console.
Wario Land 1 was also pretty cool, though a bit different from the later ones were Wario can't actually die. It's different enough from Mario Land 2 to feel fresh, but as you've mentioned it has the same gimmick were all power-ups are hats.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Yeah 2 was way better. While the first one has replay value, it's just a slightly watered down SMB1 with a cooler fireball. But those are really the only two Land games I've ever played. I'll get a chance to play the others at some point.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 am

I'm sad Mario Land 2 never inspired a spinoff platforming series following those design principles:

-villain other than Bowser
-new powerups
-goal that isn't rescuing that cunt Peach
-2d classic platforming with completely new stages and enemies
-Worlds not based on boring fire and ice motifs
-strong emphasis on finding secrets and providing alternative exits to levels
-spending coins to unlock concrete gameplay benefits

I guess Wario Land games are that spinoff series, but Wario Land is dead too.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:16 am

I've played Warioland to death as a kid. Had all treasures and enough money to buy the world - literally.
I never liked the other Wario games. It's a case of changing something just to be different, not better.

Same thing goes for the GB Donkey Kong. Turning it into that asinine Mini Mario wind up trash was an insult.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:03 am

Moe Bitches wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm
Yeah 2 was way better. While the first one has replay value, it's just a slightly watered down SMB1 with a cooler fireball. But those are really the only two Land games I've ever played. I'll get a chance to play the others at some point.
Well 2 was actually a different game call doku doku picnic

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:16 am
I've played Warioland to death as a kid. Had all treasures and enough money to buy the world - literally.
I never liked the other Wario games. It's a case of changing something just to be different, not better.

Same thing goes for the GB Donkey Kong. Turning it into that asinine Mini Mario wind up trash was an insult.
That's what I'm starting to feel like too.

Wario 1 I'm having a blast with. Super fun game. You can fuck with enemies however you like. Crush them in traps, sacrifice them to lightning clouds etc and the game gives you money. Wario's small form is fucking hilarious too. I love all the power ups in this game. Such a shame I didn't play this one as a child.

I played Wario 2 as a kid and made it to the final boss, but never beat it. I'm replaying it now also and I'm still fairly positive about the game. Yeah, it's more of a puzzle platformer, but not TOO much. You still go complete levels and you start out with all your tools. Enemies still "hurt" you... By taking your fucking money! These fucking trolls are stealing my TIPS that I need to pay muh billth, dood! This is boolshet! The game gets some bonus points for having so many secret rooms and so much destructible terrain. But I wish Wario 2 had a health system, because combat is trivial.

Wario 3.... I played this as a kid and didn't like it. I'm playing it now and I still don't like it. :? I don't know exactly why. The game seems built to be frustrating. Wario starts out with no abilities. He can't even fucking swim without an upgrade. I have no idea where to go or what to do to even progress the game. I went through a complicated series of roller jumps that were frustrating as fuck, and all the game did was give me money. There aren't even traditional level exits. You need a key of the right color and then a lock of the right color. It feels like bullshit to me. The entire game feels kinda bullshit. :lol: And fucking slow too. Reminds me why I don't play puzzle games.

I never played GB donkey dongs. I keep hearing those games are good too. Another good game I never played until recently is mega man V on gameboy. I never knew it, but apparently mega man V on game boy is a completely original mega man game with entirely unique assets, weapons and storyline. MM 1-4 on gameboy were mashups of content from the NES games. But MM5 is all new. I played a bit and it seems fun so far.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm

The GB Donkey Kong starts out as the arcade game and then transitions into a puzzle platformer.
What makes it fun is that Mario is quite agile in the game. He plays like he does in the arcade game but can do backflips, a handstand that protects him from things falling from above and out of that a triple jump.

There is no other game like it. The Mario vs DK games are a spiritual successor but with indirect control, basically being pure puzzles instead of puzzle-based jump and runs.
Give it a try at some point. It's got fairly good music as well.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Yeah it subverted expectations. I thought it was simply just a port of the arcade game (which it technically is) but then like you said it's like Mario Vs. Donkey Kong except you have more control. That series is more like Lemmings.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.