What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: What are you playing?

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am

Bioware has been shit for a long time. At least since Faggon Age Inquisition. I don't think Faggon Age 2 is quite as awful as everyone else does, but it was definitely a sign of the shift in Bioware's priorities. It was a very strange game, built more to resemble majora's mask than any previous bioware rpg, and exhibiting a very unusual indie/low-budget aura which other bioware games lacked. While you could argue the copious area reuse fit the kind of game they made (taking place on an island,) there's also no question that it was budget concerns that led to the focus on such a tiny and dense area in the first place.

Aside from Best Bro Dwarf, most of the characters in DA2 were pretty annoying or shitty.

And then Inquisition came along and completely misinterpreted what people liked about Faggon Age games. Oh, you want more cooldown timers and even shittier combat? You want more LGBTQIA++++ nonhumans? Here you go! Ass Effect Andromeda was just the killing blow.

Faggon Age Origins and Awakening were the last "good" bioware games. But I put massive quote marks around "good." I played both extensively not too long ago. The main problem Origins has is extremely poor balance. Piss fucking poor. The difficulty spikes resemble an EKG readout for a short-distance sprinter. Like all bioware games, it's pretty buggy too. But it is probably the last bioware game that let you make real choices and build characters.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am

IMO Bioware's last good game was first Mass Effect, the gameplay is a bit clunky, but it was kinda fun and enjoyable space opera, even though it ripped off a lot of different things.

I always found Faggon Age Origins incredibly tedious and fucking boring, plus it was very much "Look, we can do Gayme of Thrones and The Witcher grimdark! serious RPG!" without any of the charm of the first The Witcher game. I also greatly disliked how EMOTIONAL everything was, the whole blood mage crap was so fucking ridiculous.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 am

Oh, the story was very melodramatic. Blah blah save the world blah. Ass Effect is the same way though. In THAT sense, DA2 was slightly refreshing, since the story in that game is about your player character becoming the mafia kingpin of grimdark island. The best stages of Origins are, in my opinion, the dwarven city and the dalish forest. The dalish forest gives you a complex moral dilemma of the sort that used to be common in bioware games. Everyone is a little bit guilty, but nobody is irredeemable. You have to decide which party has been the most wronged. The dwarven city is fun because of all the politicking and back-alley stabbing you get to engage in.

The companions in Origins aren't quite as good as in ME1, but still solid. The Golem is about as much fun as Wrex. Doggo party members get a free pass from me. Bonus points because the doggo is the same one you tamed before the massacre. If you go Noble Human, doggo is even your ancestral house doggo and personal ratslayer. I enjoy how most of the other characters don't get along, especially Morrigan being a bitch to everyone.

The main story of faggon age is retarded shit. What makes that game fun is building your party, overcoming the bullshit difficulty spikes using tactics, finding early-game OP weapons (since the game doesn't hold your hand) and playing the scenarios in the order you want. The individual scenario stories are all better than the main story. The darkspawn invasion is just a tone-setter. Almost a setting, when you think about it. It gives an excuse for regular enemy encounters in areas where you couldn't otherwise justify them. But most scenarios are only slightly related to darkspawn, if at all.

A game I need to replay is Alpha Protocol. I need to see if it's as good as I remembered.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 am

Alpha Protocol is severely underrated

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:16 am

>no mention of the GOAT BioWear game

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am

A game so good it killed Archie Sanic :lol:
SpoilerShow
By which I mean it forced them to reboot the entire shitshow because their most autistic writer Ken Penders accused the game developers of stealing his amazing ideas. Which is extra funny even if it were true because Ken likes to steal shit as well.
jpakke wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 am
I remember when Pillars of Eternity was in development, there was a very vocal group of autistic spazzes writing message after message demanding romances because of "muh emotional engagement". I fucking hate those motherfucking mouthbreathing autistic faggots.
Baldur's Gate / Infinity Engine clones are fucking cancer at this point. What used to be D&D games with shitty combat turned into dating sims were your self-insert character can live out all of your slash fantasies.

A shame Icewind Dale wasn't more popular. That was the Baldur's Gate where you make your entire party from scratch.
Probably didn't catch on 'cause of muh iconic NPC buddies.

Then again, this might be for the best. Imagine such a game where you can have sex with all of your OCs...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

jpakke

Post by jpakke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am
A game so good it killed Archie Sanic :lol:
SpoilerShow
By which I mean it forced them to reboot the entire shitshow because their most autistic writer Ken Penders accused the game developers of stealing his amazing ideas. Which is extra funny even if it were true because Ken likes to steal shit as well.
jpakke wrote:
I remember when Pillars of Eternity was in development, there was a very vocal group of autistic spazzes writing message after message demanding romances because of "muh emotional engagement". I fucking hate those motherfucking mouthbreathing autistic faggots.
Baldur's Gate / Infinity Engine clones are fucking cancer at this point. What used to be D&D games with shitty combat turned into dating sims were your self-insert character can live out all of your slash fantasies.

A shame Icewind Dale wasn't more popular. That was the Baldur's Gate where you make your entire party from scratch.
Probably didn't catch on 'cause of muh iconic NPC buddies.

Then again, this might be for the best. Imagine such a game where you can have sex with all of your OCs...
IE-games had pretty good combat given that they're RTWP, especially BG2 had some great combat encounters, especially if you compare BG2 to DAO, which had nothing but waves and waves of fucking trash fights with the same enemies over and over again, with worse game mechanics/ruleset than IE-games.

The biggest sin Pillars of Eternity had was that it's very epitome of mediocrity, the combat is worse than IE-games thanks to worse ruleset and worse itemization, the writing is very mediocre and the dialogue is way too long-winded, the story is quite meh and tries to do too much for a single game. Big blame for very mediocre combat in PoE lies on Josh Sawyer, that fucking autistic balance faggot, buffs are mostly just small bonuses and short duration, because he hates pre-buffing, almost all weapons are just slightly better than the previous ones, they did fix that a bit with White March's soul-bound items. At least first PoE didn't have fucking romances, despite the best efforts by turbo autists.

A few of the companions in PoE were pretty good, like Eder and Durance, most were quite shit and bland though. Shame that Chris Avellone's Durance and Grieving Mother got hacked to pieces by the other writers, but even in the diluted state they are, they still have some of that Avellone's style.

This image IMO shows that Obsidian's devs hadn't played IE-games, as the lower angle makes the combat harder to follow, especially with overblown effects:

Sieg Zeon

Post by Sieg Zeon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 pm

jpakke wrote:

Holy shit, Larian :D

I thought Bioware was bad but this is ridiculous. RIP crpgs for good when BG3 becomes a huge hit, thank you pathetic losers who demands fucking romances in every fucking rpg.

Did I see a bit of slit on the elf chick or whatever she is when she mounted the player, or was that just a crappy character model? It’s 2020, AO games need to become the norm. If Cyberpunk 2077 doesn’t suck ass or cuck out we’ll at least have detailed genital customization.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Cybernetic genital customization.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Newhalf

Post by Newhalf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Penis augments will totally rock it like a jackhammer.
It's a trap!