What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by mad bum » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 am

Lightning becomes not a problem the stronger you get, rain and climbing is more of a problem honestly.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:27 am

I carried around a bunch of non metal gear because of that. But yeah sometimes the game tries to prevent you from playing it which is really dumb. Rain was the single most annoying thing in the game as far as I recall.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:55 am

Rain at least has the benefit that you get better shit from traders, find some more rare animals and you can still travel around normally. A thunderstorm just fucking halts any kind of thing you're doing. It does like what, ten hearts of true damage? You never get strong enough to not get fucked over by a lightning. At best, it's going to cost you all those extra hearts, which is still shitty.
Getting that lightning helmet is priority number one. Just turn that mechanic off entirely and you'll never have to worry about it ever again.

Oh and get your ass to Akkala and get those ancient arrows. It's the difference between getting fucked in the ass or having trouble with those spidor fuckfaces and a oneshot.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:56 am

All a nigga needs to kill guardians is a pot lid.
Is Spoony dead yet?

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:26 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:18 am
Yeah, that's what I thought of as well.
Pretty much the definitive kunio experience is either river city ransom/EX or kenka bancho: badass rumble.
You shouldn't dismiss original arcade Kunio/Renagade. That game is super short but great. It's a shame Technos/Archsys went into kawaii direction (doge ball/soccer/etc) and abandoned the gritty/delinquent feel , I know chibi/kawaii sells better but still.
rabidtictac wrote:
I'm playing RCR Rival Showdown now. It's pretty alright, but I struggle to recommend it since the game has a MASSIVE stat wall.

Maybe it's just I don't know the good ones but I never saw beat'em-up and RPG mechanics work well together. It's kinda weird considering side scrollers work quite well with RPG-ish progression (e.g. Metroid(vania), indie steam games with similar styles).

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:48 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:26 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought of as well.
Pretty much the definitive kunio experience is either river city ransom/EX or kenka bancho: badass rumble.
You shouldn't dismiss original arcade Kunio/Renagade. That game is super short but great. It's a shame Technos/Archsys went into kawaii direction (doge ball/soccer/etc) and abandoned the gritty/delinquent feel , I know chibi/kawaii sells better but still.
rabidtictac wrote:
I'm playing RCR Rival Showdown now. It's pretty alright, but I struggle to recommend it since the game has a MASSIVE stat wall.

Maybe it's just I don't know the good ones but I never saw beat'em-up and RPG mechanics work well together. It's kinda weird considering side scrollers work quite well with RPG-ish progression (e.g. Metroid(vania), indie steam games with similar styles).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_tKgP ... hwFnTXluz5

I've seen the American version of Renegade and it does look good. I'm not a huge fan of the super chibi-looking sprites in later RCR games. It made sense in the NES era because of the NES' difficulty with rendering a lot of sprites on the screen moving at the same time, but it's kind of ugly-looking now. The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa is how sprite-based delinquent brawlers should look.

I'm okay with mild stat-building in beat em ups and brawlers, but there shouldn't be massive stat walls where you NEED to go farm a bunch of stats or better gear just so you can do more than 1 damage to an enemy. Kenka Bancho handles the RPG stuff pretty well. The combat system is intricate enough that you can usually beat enemies without being at a super high level.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Still playing FFXV and I found something lolsy. In the dossier where you can read up on the characters, you can also rotate and zoom.

But... that only work for the males xD They actually made the game so you can't upskirt them.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm pretty sure all Japanese character rotators come with a standard-issue pantsu blocker.

As for beat-'em-ups, I'd say RPG elements are best as a form of customization that doesn't slow down or otherwise impede the natural game progress.

An example would be the Fighter class from those Mystara arcade brawlers, who can eventually find dual swords or a two-handed sword to replace his default sword-and-board setup.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:29 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:48 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_tKgP ... hwFnTXluz5

I've seen the American version of Renegade and it does look good. I'm not a huge fan of the super chibi-looking sprites in later RCR games. It made sense in the NES era because of the NES' difficulty with rendering a lot of sprites on the screen moving at the same time, but it's kind of ugly-looking now. The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa is how sprite-based delinquent brawlers should look.

I'm okay with mild stat-building in beat em ups and brawlers, but there shouldn't be massive stat walls where you NEED to go farm a bunch of stats or better gear just so you can do more than 1 damage to an enemy. Kenka Bancho handles the RPG stuff pretty well. The combat system is intricate enough that you can usually beat enemies without being at a super high level.
Watch my boy Benevolentdick play it.

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm

I recently beaten this game. It's not as bad as I thought but it's not great either.