What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Well, I like fitan gaems and it's a lot like one. It's not like it's flawless, though. Free play has way too few options. That you can't pick the number of sets played is straight up bullshit. You can only chose between a short game, which is just a tiebreaker, or a two set match. No proper three or five set matches, despite there being three set matches in adventure mode.

As far as online is concerned, trick shots are straight up OP and especially the back trick shot is way too lenient and easily abused. I avoid playing like that because I'm sure it will get nerfed significantly in the future. It's also why Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are OP. They can reach almost every ball without any effort because their reach is high and what they can't reach anymore they just reach via trick shot.
Character and gameplay changes have already been announced, though. Still, I won against the Waluigi player because he had less of a clue than I do and because I picked Bowser who is just below the bullshit S-tier of Waluigi, Bowser Jr. and Chain Chomp.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm

You could customize the number of sets in previous games.

The N64 games had no trick shots at all or meter management, and that's the version I still consider superior. It's a pure skill game where you keep going back and forth until someone fucks up.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:32 am

There's simple mode for that. No trick shots and no meter. There's a separate online ranking list for it as well.
I think I've figured out the expert AI and am pretty good at the game by now. Over twenty consecutive wins with all kinds of characters in standard and simple matches.
I'll go online next and see how my playstyle works out. What I'm basically doing is generally playing well, abusing Koopa's speed to be at the spots early and charge my shots, drive the opponent back or force bad returns if I don't score and then go for nicely charged stop shots.

Fully charged shots can be super disgusting if you're standing just right and let the opponent's shot hit the ground first. I got a stop shot against Mario that hit the net and died half a meter behind it, totally impossible to get.
It generally pays of to be super oppressive. Send the guy running, charge your shots, make them burn meter. That goes for AI and people all the same. Charging your shots gets you some nice meter and as long as you have more than your opponent, you don't even need to use it. Slow time with it when they try to get cheeky with a zone shot.
When you struggle for a ball, make sure to immediately get into a good position to deal with whatever you get back. Since your save will go slow they will have enough time for a good shot in return but so do you have time to get your shit together.

There really is a good way to deal with trickshots. Play to the spot diagonal of your opponent. Forward and backward trick shots cover an absurd area and may still get those balls but since back trick shot is always a straight and forward trick shot always a stop shot they are very predictable, allowing you ample time for a fully charged double tapped shot, resulting in some sick shit.
There will be some balancing changes and I fully expect trick shots to get nerfed greatly. In the current meta, they are abused badly but mostly it's because people just suck in general and have no idea on how to deal with them. Even without a nerf, they will likely fall out of the meta later on. They allow you to build meter and reach all kinds of balls but they do fuckall for breaking the opponent's positioning if they can actually play well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 am

I just watched Ike: Countdown To D-Day and the whole time while he's worrying about possible 70% casualties among the airborne troops and all they young men who may never come back I can't stop thinking about Battlefield V and the SJWs actually trying to convince people women fought on the front lines.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

It'll be common knowledge in a hundred years. Every inventor ever will also be known as either a woman or a nigger.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 pm

They're not doing historic revisionism. They're just providing alternate facts.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

ymmy

Post by ymmy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 am

Now I'm playing this game called tank trouble, and rooftop sniper game.
Last edited by ymmy on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Currently getting some keks out of the GBA title Zoids Legacy. Not because this SRW/Pokemon-hybrid-thing is that good (it's pretty easy, yet somehow confusing cause there are like 3 different stats that affect your evasion, and you'll never know how exactly), but because of the quality translation. I don't know if the translator just sucked ass or they had to condense the dialogue by any means necessary, but the end result reads like some kind of Hong Kong bootleg ROM or something.

Doesn't help that I know fuckall about Zoids aside from it apparently being Furry Gundam/BattleTech. Combine this with the translation, and I have literally no clue what is going on or why most of the time. It's kinda funny.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:14 am

I used to watch zoids on toonami and it wasn't that good.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:10 pm

TloZ BotW. I got some more time to play at work yesterday. It's got some neat mechanics but a pretty shit one that prevented me from playing some more.
There are thunderstorms in some areas. Not always but quite often. During a thunderstorm, your metal weapons and armour have a chance to attract a lightning. It's neat that you can throw a weapon and pretty much use it as a lightning mine. However, I didn't really feel like having to stop playing, throwing all my weapons on the ground and waiting the thunderstorm out to not get insta-killed by lightning.
In the desert area is one of the titans, which are pretty much the dungeons. I heard you can get a helmet that nullifies all lightning damage if you defeat it. So I did that. Turns out, to get the helmet you've got to solve additional quests in the Gerudo city. Today, I managed that as well and got the helmet. Shit mechanic defeated!

As far cool mechanics, you can get really creative.
Problem: There was a platform built around a tree I couldn't reach because I couldn't climb the tree to get on it, since the platform goes all the way around it, didn't have a cliff to glide to it, didn't have any stuff to pile up. So I started thinking how to get on there. It had to be possible, since there was a chest.

Solution: You can fell trees that aren't too large. The one with the platform was way too large. You get firewood from trees and you should always have some to be able to make a camp fire, which allows you to roast food and wait to skip forward to a different time of day. To make a fire you need the wood and flint stones you'll get from bombing ore.
I saw a tiny tree standing around. So I threw fire wood and flint on the ground, hit it with a sword to ignite it, cut down the small tree to get a twig, light the twig on fire and started to set fire to the grass.
A large enough fire creates upwinds and that allowed me to get on the platform with my glider.

It's neat little things like that which make the game great. There's nothing to explicitly tell you how to solve that riddle. They expect you to just figure stuff like that out on your own. There would've been other solutions like jumping on it from the back of your horse or trying to find something large enough in the larger area to catapult or float to the place to use it as a ramp. They didn't even need to provide the tiny tree since I could've set a wooden weapon alight just as well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!