What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm

I think my favorite cyberpunk meme is hackers hacking guns during a firefight because the cruel MegaCorps overlords of the future decided that every gun should have wifi or something.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed May 13, 2020 11:00 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm
I think my favorite cyberpunk meme is hackers hacking guns during a firefight because the cruel MegaCorps overlords of the future decided that every gun should have wifi or something.
Guns in future scenarios tend to be stupid very often. They try to reinvent the wheel. Truth of the matter is that purely mechanical firearms are unlikely to ever be truly outdated. Cheap to make, don't care about water and dirt so much, easily field-serviceable. The basic concept of "dense object travelling at high speed" likewise won't ever get replaced. Good ol' kinetic energy just works. You want somebody dead, hurl something at them. There's nothing you can't obliterate that way if that something is massive and fast enough.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 pm

The only way I see firearms getting replaced is if gunpowder became scarce. It could be the basis for a setting that relies on stupid-looking energy weapons and high-tech melee weapons.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed May 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 pm
The only way I see firearms getting replaced is if gunpowder became scarce. It could be the basis for a setting that relies on stupid-looking energy weapons and high-tech melee weapons.
You'd really have to reach for that. It's not like we're still using blackpowder either. You just need some boom stuff of really any kind to push some soft metal through a harder metal tube.
I like my sci-fi best when they don't try too hard to make everything "futuristic".
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:00 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Guns in future scenarios tend to be stupid very often. They try to reinvent the wheel. Truth of the matter is that purely mechanical firearms are unlikely to ever be truly outdated. Cheap to make, don't care about water and dirt so much, easily field-serviceable. The basic concept of "dense object travelling at high speed" likewise won't ever get replaced. Good ol' kinetic energy just works. You want somebody dead, hurl something at them. There's nothing you can't obliterate that way if that something is massive and fast enough.
Usually in sci-fi, part of the reason they invent bullshit like phasers and laser pistols is so they can have shields to deflect them. It's a lot harder to "deflect" a fuckoff rail cannon (the grown up big boy version of a gun) when it's firing a fucking asteroid at you. Likewise, the futuristic armor that "deflects" those flashlight rays won't do anything against kinetics.

Hell, even with modern body armor that does protect you from a bullet (for a few shots, anyway,) it will still knock you flat on your ass and may break something.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 am

And then Star Trek made it a plot point in a movie that the Borg can just nullify fancy faggot weaponry but you can ratatatat them down with a Chicago Typewriter. Because of course you can!
It's why I find the thought of being afraid of an alien invasion hilarious. Unless they show up with a massive war fleet - never mind the point of having a space war fleet completely illuding me in the first place - they wouldn't dream of fucking with us.
We're close to peak war capability we'll ever achieve and we're still tribal enough that humanity is just aching for a universal enemy to brutally kill-slaughter.

Total morons like Blob think we're a bunch of Picards and a load of Klingons. Smart big brain guys hoarding a bunch of spearchuckers. But in actuality we're Skaven. Scheming, backstabbing, tribal, chaotic murder zealots with implausibly advanced weaponry gunning for the day of the Horned Rat.
Any race advanced enough to arrive in a spaceship is going to take a look at this planet and will go "Shit, they are basically like we were a few thousand years ago during the fifth extinction war. We're not messing with that shit.". :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 am

Can our guns and nukes hit ships in orbit that are lobbing shit at us? That'd be their ace up their sleeve even if they'd prefer a more traditional invasion.
Le Redditeur wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 pm
Energy weapons have the same issue as railguns and coilguns: The massive amounts of energy necessary to make them work basically rules them out as infantry weapons unless we make huge leaps in miniaturization.
I'm also pretty sure we'd rather make high-tech crossbows before vibro-katanas ever become a thing. Because ranged weapons are still superior to running up to a guy and hitting him.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 14, 2020 5:59 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 am
Can our guns and nukes hit ships in orbit that are lobbing shit at us? That'd be their ace up their sleeve even if they'd prefer a more traditional invasion.
Trivial to do, yeah. Long distance rockets already go very high. Getting into low orbit is something they can already do.
You wouldn't even need thermonuclear warheads. Spaceships aren't exactly sturdy, likely not even advanced ones and putting one real good hole in it is all you need. Space is very hostile to life and getting fucked while you're in orbit is one of the scariest scenarios I can think of.

Being in orbit is a glascannon play. You've got tactical supremacy but you're extremely vulnerable.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Thu May 14, 2020 9:09 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Not as implausable as you would initially think given the ridiculous amout of stupid, overly complex shit people were able to raise money for just by combining something already existing + phone app. My favourites were the smart salt shaker and smart shoes. There is so much more of this retarded stuff, and it gets funded. Who knows what will happen in 20 years or so?

Ok, I don't really think it's going to happen, but as a sci-fi element, it's not bothering me.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu May 14, 2020 9:17 am

Some Sick Fuck wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:09 am
My favourites were the smart salt shaker
Ah, Smalt. The clear winner of "smart" devices in my opinion. I haven't heard of anything in less of a need for smartphone integration than a motherfucking salt shaker.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!