What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:47 pm

phpBB [video]

3U is pretty much the same quality all the way through. If it had cat palicos it'd be close to perfect.
4U is a big guy good game with utterly fucked balance. Insect Glaive and Charge Blade are OP as fuck, especially the former. GL is garbage tier, SA is mediocre at best, gunners and especially Bow can just straight up get fucked as far as the game is concerned.

Gen is just straight up odd. You have all these styles but for some weapons only one is actually good and others have several good ones. LB works well with at least four of the styles, GL depends on what type you have with guild being best for normal type and striker for wide type. With HBG the dodge style is just straight up superior to everything else if you play solo.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 pm

I've been messing around a bit more with Brave style with the GL and it turns out that it's pretty damn good, actually. I didn't really understand it at first.

So the basic moveset is almost untouched, despite the list reading as if it was. The only thing you can't do is the normal full reload with L+A.
So it's still poke, poke, overhead. You can still full burst after every overhead. You also still have the X+A upswing and any pokes or shellings are angled up after it. So everything like normal.
However, instead of fully reloading with L+A, you do a quick reload, only reloading one shell. In exchange, you have an auto block at the start of the quick reload.
Putting away your weapon engages the Brave stance, which you can hold by holding down Y. During it, until you've put away your weapon you drain a lot of stamina and a bit of health but you defend against hits.

Now here comes the fun stuff!
In Brave stance, you can also attack instead of putting your weapon away. This goes into an upswing, into a quick reload and optionally into an overhead slam from which you can full burst if you want to. This builds a lot of special bar.
You can also shell from Brave stance, resulting in a stronger blue shell that also builds a good deal of bar.
When the bar is full, you go into full on Brave mode. Now your Wyvernfire takes a lot less time to charge, you always blue shell and can string multiple shells together, making each shot progressively stronger. Also, your quick reload reloads more shells. Four shells for Normal type GL, full reloads for the others.
The quick reload after the upwards strike from Brave stance always reloads more than one shell and behaves like it would in Brave mode.

Basically, you get a strong swipe out of Brave stance that builds bar and leads into a fairly fast overhead smash. You also get to auto block at the beginning of a quick reload and strong single shelling out of Brave stance.
When your bar is full, which happens fairly quickly, you get fast full reloads and a fast Wyvernfire.

I like it. I'll have to mess around with it some more.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Boxed a Rathalos. Found out he proper English name is Valour style.
So you only get the blue shelling when the Valour mode is actually active. I also found out that when it is, having blocked something from the quick reload while the mode is active you can directly combo into an overhead slam.

Valour is really fun. The bar is fairly quickly charged, requiring you only to hit five or so of those valour stance attacks, more from shelling. The defending is actually more of a dodge. You will do a dashing slide away from the attack and immediately put the weapon away and get a short sprint.
I've found it's best to start building bar with the Valour stance attacks and go for some shelling to build up heat. By the time the bar is full and Valour activates the heat should be fairly high up. Then use the chain shelling to cause big damage and to get to max heat.
The Wyvernfire fires so fast that it's practically a non-issue to find an opening to hit with it. That'll lower the heat a bit and lock it in place so you get max damage lance attacks and can shell away as much as you want. Very nice stuff!

I think if I get used to it it'll really kick ass. The only real downside I see is that you can't charge shelling so maybe it's not the best for long type GLs.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I nearly carted. Missed a few quick reload parries, got set on fire. Putting away the weapon normally with Valour takes quite a bit of time because you first go into the whole stance animation.
Rath got ready to charge me, I'm slowly burning to death but we're standing in shallow water. I go into the Valour stance and hold it just a moment, draining even more life.
Rath hits me while in stance, I get the dodge and sprint, immediately roll in the water and extinguish with a tiny sliver of life left. Epic Gamer Moment! :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Really getting into the groove with the Valour style. Just absolutely styled on an Astalos. This is the payoff for getting tossed around quite a bit while getting competent with it, though.
I believe they changed something with the heat mechanics, though. I don't remember Wyvernfire being unavailable when you overheat from regular shelling. Anyway, I think that's a good mechanic. Makes trying to max out heat and locking it in the red something you have to pay attention to.
Very punishing if you accidentally overheat, costing you an entire cool down period and thus missing out on a wyvernfire. And to add insult to injury you'll be stuck at lowest heat the entire time, causing you to do less damage.

I'm still in Low Rank even at 6 star quests. I'm a bit surprised about that. It doesn't feel much like Low Rank, though. Only the 1 star quests are super boring shit and there are few of them. The monster variety is quite high already with your usual beasts and Hermitaurs and really picking up the pace at five stars.
Five and six star quests have:
Astalos, Rathalos, Rathian, Gammoth, Lagiacrus, Mizutsune, Uragaan, Glavenus, Gore Magala, Zinogre, Tigrex, Seregios, Brachydios, Kirin and multiple quests to hunt for two or three monsters with stuff like Malfestio, Gypseros, Nibblesnarf, Blagonga, Khezu and many more.

So lots of serious monsters to hunt and many hunts for a heap of lower tier ones. The games not particularly difficult yet but the variety is very good.
I guess that makes sense, considering that GenU is supposed to be a celebration of all previous MonHun titles, bringing back tons of hunting areas, monsters and even NPCs. I'm having a real good time.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 am

The low rank quests in gen 2 had a lot of stuff in them as well. Tigrex most famously, but also Kirin and some of the other giant monsters like Kushala.

I'm tempted to pick up Gen and probably will some day, but right now I have 3U and 4U to play, which I've barely done.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 am

There's no need to be in a hurry. The graphics are outdated already anyway.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm

I didn't expect you to like it so much Kugel :lol: nice to see you getting so much mileage out of the GL.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 pm

It's a lance that goes boom. What is there not to love?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:56 pm

I started out playing MonHun with the Longsword. But I eventually tried out the Gunlance and that's basically what I've been sticking with since then.
There's three types and in most games there's other stuff to keep in mind with it. 4 and Gen have heat, World has the Wyrmstake. It's actually a very versatile weapon and requires just as much thought and learning of movement patterns of monsters than other weapons.
The main difference between it and the Lance is that it does loads more damage but you don't get to attack nearly as often and are even less mobile. GL is to L what HBG is to LBG.

I wasn't a big fan of Generations when it comes to the Gunlance. I also didn't like the Valour style for it when I just tried it out once but that's more because I didn't get it. I still don't like the counter style and think that one would work better with the regular Lance.

I'm just happy that GL is back to being good. 4U nerfed the absolute shit out of it, which is why I played Lance instead. World's GL is also pretty great, though. But the weapon progression wasn't that great and it always felt like there's not just G-Rank but also most of High Rank just plain missing.
GenU really feels like a celebration of all previous MonHun titles but I didn't get that impression so much in Gen.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:18 pm

MonHun are like Capcom fightans, the first versions always are either good or suck ass for various reasons, until you get that magical expansion that gets everything just right and Pacha approved. No matter how they make it though, not all styles fit with all the weapons, no matter how they try but that's not much of a problem.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow